My Bloody Valentine thread

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Happy Cycler
Don't hold your breath, my friend is a pretty reliable source regarding mbv (has acquaintances who know the members, works in studios the band uses etc), but you can never rely on Shields' scheduling. They are definitely in the studio though, that is a fact. Of course, it doesn't indicate when anything will be complete haha. Hearing rumours of a possible tour though, and they surely can't tour on the same material again! Fingers crossed eh :)
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Boqurant
they're all crossed. i'm typing with my elbows.

Dayvan Cowboy
I am looking for a rip/copy of this: http://www.discogs.com/David-Lang-Kevin ... se/7491564

A CD sold at concerts featuring Kevin Shields. Anyone know anything about this?

Dayvan Cowboy
I saw Loveless at my favorite shop the other day and decided I'd finally give it a shot. Man alive I'm glad I did! Thing is killer!

Happy Cycler
^ welcome!

I still hear new things in it after almost 20 years.

Boqurant
Lazerize wrote:they're all crossed. i'm typing with my elbows.

2nded

Dayvan Cowboy
In case you missed it. From a couple of months ago where kevin played an MBV number with Dino Jr.
Someone keeps missing their cues though... kev doesn't look happy about it.
https://youtu.be/MtUIUWigwCo

Happy Cycler
Newly uncovered full concert footage from '89. Decent live MBV videos are as rare as hens teeth!

phpBB [media]
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Happy Cycler
Yeah, the full version is on vimeo! Band of Susans are a great obscure gem.

Just a heads up, prepare ya wallets. Kevin is repressing Loveless in all analogue, and apparently Isn't Anything is getting that same treatment too. I believe the process if almost complete, so keep ya eyez peeled.

https://twitter.com/iiirdsworld/status/ ... 1893056512

Dayvan Cowboy
fujee wrote:Yeah, the full version is on vimeo! Band of Susans are a great obscure gem.

Just a heads up, prepare ya wallets. Kevin is repressing Loveless in all analogue, and apparently Isn't Anything is getting that same treatment too. I believe the process if almost complete, so keep ya eyez peeled.

https://twitter.com/iiirdsworld/status/ ... 1893056512

I gaurantee it will sound fucking amazing, possibly even the best version ever. Basically the original reels have been lying around for twenty years and, through the cd release which was a remaster from the original tape a couple years back, you can really hear the sound on those reels has aged like rare champagne, the high end has really been softened in a pretty beautiful way and the best and most true to the actual masters one can hear that is an analogue vynl cut.

Kevin knows what we want.

(godawful picture editing skills)

Happy Cycler
Well everyone, they're here. AAA cuts of Isn't Anything and Loveless. 40 pounds for both is a steal.

https://www.mybloodyvalentine.org/shop/ ... itle=vinyl

Sherbet Head
Is the CD all analogue too?

Dayvan Cowboy
Album due in the spring of next year and gigs due for the summer:
https://pitchfork.com/news/my-bloody-va ... l_facebook

I will be there again. I've only had the chance to see them once before but it was pretty amazing. I was right in front of Kevin's stack of speakers without ear defenders and it was worth maybe potentially having slight hearing damage to enjoy a once in a lifetime experience.

Eagle Minded
If MBV are touring - I'm there!

I still never got around to checking out their EP reissue comp from a few years back. Can anyone vouch for it?

Dayvan Cowboy
Sherbet Head wrote:If MBV are touring - I'm there!

I still never got around to checking out their EP reissue comp from a few years back. Can anyone vouch for it?

Can 100% vouch for it. When Kevin does remasters, he does analogue remasters true to the original spirit of the record as opposed to some of the sacrilegious Digital remasters that have famously been happening with a lot of other notable groups that expand the stereo field but add digital effects/ compressors and leave the entire thing sounding very thin and lacking in warmth.

Dayvan Cowboy
The upcoming remaster of Loveless will be the first official remaster in the history of music to be more analogue than the original record. He is taking any of the very few earlier digital effects used in the mixing of loveless and finding ways to do them without. As well as re-doing all of the crossfades between songs/codas by physically cutting the tape at angles.

He didn't toot his own horn in the interview about the fact that it would actually mark the first time that has ever happened, but it is.

Happy Cycler
Excellent article on the process that went into making these AAA cuts. I can't wait to hear them.

https://pitchfork.com/features/intervie ... new-album/

Boqurant
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/featu ... ss-w509837

The band had begun work on new music last year, recording at studios in London and Ireland in spells, and the last time they worked on the music was about two months ago. They'd originally intended to make an EP, but Shields got a new concept. "In some respects, some of it is a bit straightforward," he says. "The MBV album that we did in 2013 feels more meandery and not as concise. This one is like if somebody took that and dropped some acid on it or created a dimensional clash or something. It's more all over the place."

Hyped.

Dayvan Cowboy
Valotonin wrote:I will be there again. I've only had the chance to see them once before but it was pretty amazing. I was right in front of Kevin's stack of speakers without ear defenders and it was worth maybe potentially having slight hearing damage to enjoy a once in a lifetime experience.

Did exactly that circa 1990 and it was fine... but the reformed MBV mildly fucked my hearing permanently. Could be age or the fact that they play so much louder now, but I'll never put myself in that situation again. Love the band but the extreme volume thing feels like more of a gimmick now. What MBV do is still unique enough to not need it.

Sherbet Head
IanRedpoint wrote:
Valotonin wrote:I will be there again. I've only had the chance to see them once before but it was pretty amazing. I was right in front of Kevin's stack of speakers without ear defenders and it was worth maybe potentially having slight hearing damage to enjoy a once in a lifetime experience.

Did exactly that circa 1990 and it was fine... but the reformed MBV mildly fucked my hearing permanently. Could be age or the fact that they play so much louder now, but I'll never put myself in that situation again. Love the band but the extreme volume thing feels like more of a gimmick now. What MBV do is still unique enough to not need it.

Indeed, I too have a constant ringing in my left ear sustained @ an OTT MBV show in 09; unnecessarily loud! No reason for it, the aural equal to staring directly into the sun, for hours. And yes I was wearing ear plugs handed out @ the door. :evil:

PreviousNext

Return to This Random Sound