QOTSA/ Desert Sessions/ Kyuss; Desert Rock Thread

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Posts Quantity
I'm really into the Queens of the Stone Age and Desert Sessions right now. I'd really like to hear more of this genera (also down with some sludge metal).
Having grown up near the Southern California Desert-ish, and attending Coachella quite a few times, I feel like this is the perfect sound for that high desert region. Anybody?

Welcome home faithful one. We forgive you.

Happy Cycler
Agreed. Been a huge Queens fan for years now. Got to see them open for Nine Inch Nails a while back.

Finally got around to listening to Kyuss late last year. Love it. Josh Homme's guitar sounds fucking killer.

Another good band along these lines is Electric Wizard. Their album Dopethrone is like stoner rock meets Sabbath style doom.

Sherbet Head
I'm pretty crazy about this style of music myself, as well as sludge metal. There's tons of great bands in both the desert/stoner rock and sludge metal genres. That SoCal scene has produced some of the best bands including Kyuss, QOTSA, etc. And yeah, Kyuss is the ultimate! :twisted: But I've also heard a couple great acts from Europe: Beaver, from the Netherlands; and Causa Sui, from Denmark. Highly recommended.

As for the sludge, I like the New Orleans stuff, especially Down and Crowbar.

Sherbet Head
Welcome to Sky Valley is a great road record. Every song on that cd rocks.

Sherbet Head
mechanismj wrote:Another good band along these lines is Electric Wizard. Their album Dopethrone is like stoner rock meets Sabbath style doom.

I just started checking these guys out. Man, that is some heavy shit! Thanks for the recommendation. :wink:

Kyuss to reunite? Almost...

Slow down...

Happy Cycler
I love QotSA, which maybe makes it a bit strange that I've never got around to checking out Kyuss.... until now! Streaming "Blues for the Red Sun" as we speak and it sounds great. Will be investigating further!

I think one of the reasons I like Queens so much is that they're as much roll as they are rock (to paraphrase Keith Richards) - I liked Joh Homme's quote about wanting to make music to make girls dance. A noble aim...

I also love their loose idea of a band - the band seems to be just whoever is hanging around at the time.

Oh, and Dave Grohl's drumming on Songs For The Deaf - did he grow a 3rd arm?

A_Northern_Soul wrote:I love QotSA, which maybe makes it a bit strange that I've never got around to checking out Kyuss.... until now! Streaming "Blues for the Red Sun" as we speak and it sounds great. Will be investigating further!

I think one of the reasons I like Queens so much is that they're as much roll as they are rock (to paraphrase Keith Richards) - I liked Joh Homme's quote about wanting to make music to make girls dance. A noble aim...

I also love their loose idea of a band - the band seems to be just whoever is hanging around at the time.

Oh, and Dave Grohl's drumming on Songs For The Deaf - did he grow a 3rd arm?

Blues For the Red Sun is still my favorite Kyuss record. Back in 1993, when I was in a shockingly bad grunge band, I wrote a 'song' whose middle eight- I now realise - was the end of '50 Million Year Trip'. I mean, quite blatently the same!! I didn't realise at the time, honest.

It's a rock FACT! that 'The Grohl' made a pact with Shiva, the Hindu god of lots-of-arms-ness to allow him to play Songs For the Deaf He renaged on painting himself blue and growing a truck however and that's way the Foo's latest albums all suck. However, Songs for the Deaf was the best drumming since John Bonham laid down the solo in 'Rock and Roll'.

Oh and it's been said on this site before - Brant Bjork has the best stoner growl in the World ever.
I'm digging my Jesus sandals out, growing my hair long again and getting back on the Peyote..

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
I loveeee QOTSA to infinite amounts, and the Desert Sessions are amazing as well..got into them all during college last year. I'm not a HUGE Kyuss fan but I def love their first couple records...can't wait for a new Queens record though, its been way too long.
The preparation for a dive is always a tense time.

Friendly Stranger
I need to re-born this thread instead of creating a new one.

I dont know but I've always imagined this could be a BoC song with synths added.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiWZ3vzwdIU
"it's not so bad as long as you can keep the fear from your mind" - Agent Cooper

Sherbet Head
Though more lighthearted than previous mentioned bands, I'm a massive fan of Fu Manchu. In Search of, The Action is Go and King of the Road are just brilliant albums, Sabbath in style though slightly sped up and with a healthy dose of Californian sunshine.

Also I'm a big fan of OM's Variation of a Theme. And also Melvins Stoner Witch and (a) Senile Animal. High on Fire. Shrinebuilder. Down's Nola etc.

Essential watching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh3NKbw0ykg and other parts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkdmwKXNXAQ

There's also a great Sonic Highway episode when there's loads on Kyuss etc

Sherbet Head
I highly recommend everything done by Fatso Jetson. Mario Lalli is the father of the desert rock scene. Big influence on Homme.

Return to This Random Sound