Setting the record straight on Eyesix

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Fredd-E, Mexicola, Aesthetics, saturdayindex

User avatar
Moderator
Status: Offline
Posts: 7189
Joined: 30 May 2007
Location: Dorset, UK
With respect, I disagree. They've been upfront and made it very clear why they are continuing to stream them. That being said, I'm not one of the artists affected and I seem to recall you were? I hope I'm not speaking out of turn.
Image

Slow down...

User avatar
New Seed
Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Joined: 17 Mar 2017
re-phaelam-ed wrote:
everydaydust wrote:Dear Twoism peeps,

I have registered here specifically to add to this thread, and I hope that is acceptable by the forum.

Like el Cerebro (or [MIIIIM] as I know him) I am an artist on Sparkwood Records and have worked very closely with my Sparkwood band of brothers over the years. It has been nothing short of a joy and a privilege all the way.

I am shocked, appalled and deeply saddened by the acts of Jason eyesix which I have only recently learned - it is inexcusable and unacceptable and it makes me feel sick to think of the artists' music he has had the audacity to steal. Especially Cities Of Earth who appears to have been hit the hardest by this - my heart goes out to you sir - I have just bought both of your albums on Bandcamp to show some support to your cause.

I just wanted to back el Cerebro up in his statement about Sparkwood. Any negative remarks regarding this wonderful little label from eyesix are absolute non-truths. The "slow Norwegian label" comment is offensive. These guys are hard-working and on the ball. In my opinion you couldn't wish for more enthusiastic, supportive and courteous fellows at the helm of a label. I would hate for their name to be tarred with the same brush as eyesix, they are without question an innocent party in all of this who had nothing but good intentions when releasing what they thought was his original material.

Please note that Sparkwood are also taking this matter seriously and are as appalled by eyesix's acts as much as the rest of us:
http://www.sparkwoodrecords.com/news/20 ... nouncement

They have left the three eyesix releases on their Bandcamp page temporarily - but as streaming only - to hopefully help to identify more artists whose music he stole: https://sparkwoodrecords.bandcamp.com/music

Let's hope with time all of the true artists can be identified and rightly credited.

Best wishes one and all.

Everyday Dust.


wow...the PROPER thing to do is remove any and all werk by Eyesix an alias, and apologize for the mistake, and link to the original artists.
continuing to stream those tunes is wrong.

POOR form.


I disagree. I think having the files there for a brief time longer may help to identify the true artists - a source of reference - but I know their plan is to completely remove the releases shortly. The limited streaming is presumably an attempt to help and meant with good intention.

They have already expressed their feelings and support for the artists effected, and the eyesix pages on their Bandcamp clearly state what has happened. They have already removed the tracks that have been proven to be plagiarism.

I am not Sparkwood Records. Not sure how my post enticed such a response but i'm sorry it did. I too would like to see all eyesix "releases" wiped from existence. But I think anything that can help to track down the original artists first is worth a shot no?

All best,
E.D.

User avatar
Happy Cycler
Status: Offline
Posts: 3254
Joined: 19 Oct 2005
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Jesus, I actually bought a couple of albums from "Any Color You Like". Is this fucking official that he's ripped @eople off? Because he's disappeared from FB. I know I'm not here much on this site anymore, but if my PayPal transactions could help in a legal manner, I am willing to deal with Ae on the matter.
"It's been a long time..."

User avatar
Moderator
Status: Offline
Posts: 3496
Joined: 28 Nov 2004
Location: Belgium
hexagon son wrote:Is this fucking official that he's ripped @eople off?

Yes. http://bit.ly/eyesix-scandal

User avatar
Boqurant
Status: Offline
Posts: 88
Joined: 9 Jun 2007
Location: A shed, in Ireland
Was annoying me what track it was that he 'borrowed' elements from and I found it (ha I didn't realise tho he went and submitted it to the twoism albums) Thankfully tho he did change it tho I am actually going to give that credit to Shane Anthony, but yeah I think the lead / hook part in mine was more than likely past off as his own contribution on this collaboration :D

eyesix & Shane Anthony - Drifting
https://twoismrecords.bandcamp.com/trac ... y-drifting

Bocuma - The Sheep Look Up
https://bocuma.bandcamp.com/track/the-sheep-look-up

Ha, looking back tho at least its nice I can say a small part of me was on the One on Twoism albums :D

User avatar
Boqurant
Status: Offline
Posts: 63
Joined: 8 Apr 2015
Location: Providence, RI, USA
His 'Expo '67' was actually by Cities Of Earth?! Good GRIEF. I had congratulated him on that track, which he accepted without a moment's hesitation.

User avatar
Friendly Stranger
Status: Offline
Posts: 13
Joined: 12 Mar 2017
hexagon son wrote:Jesus, I actually bought a couple of albums from "Any Color You Like". Is this fucking official that he's ripped @eople off? Because he's disappeared from FB. I know I'm not here much on this site anymore, but if my PayPal transactions could help in a legal manner, I am willing to deal with Ae on the matter.

User avatar
Friendly Stranger
Status: Offline
Posts: 13
Joined: 12 Mar 2017
hexagon son wrote:Jesus, I actually bought a couple of albums from "Any Color You Like". Is this fucking official that he's ripped @eople off? Because he's disappeared from FB. I know I'm not here much on this site anymore, but if my PayPal transactions could help in a legal manner, I am willing to deal with Ae on the matter.

I contacted bandcamp and received a refund and redirected that money to Cities Of Earth

New Seed
Status: Offline
Posts: 8
Joined: 11 Jul 2012
This is so damn diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirty. It's also a little surprising that it has taken 2 years for this to come out.

I, like many here, bought albums by Any Colour You Like (and eyesix, Majestic 13 and The Echelon Experiment). I didn't buy Samhain or Love Thy Nature because he was releasing an album every 20 minutes . Heck, I have other artists to support.

But then to discover this, it makes me so sad. I don't produce music, I just love the journey that it takes me on. I honestly feel betrayed. I also, in a very strange sense, feel a bit sorry for Mr Dowd. I think he has issues.
Skip to the end

User avatar
Boqurant
Status: Offline
Posts: 70
Joined: 4 May 2012
Location: Columbus, Ohio
re-phaelam-ed wrote:wow...the PROPER thing to do is remove any and all werk by Eyesix an alias, and apologize for the mistake, and link to the original artists.
continuing to stream those tunes is wrong.

POOR form.


I respectfully--albeit quite vehemently--disagree as well. If history has taught us anything about crime and scandal, it's that the preservation--not destruction--of evidence is utterly crucial to discovering the truth regarding them. As much evidence as possible is always, usually quite painstakingly, collected and analyzed in order to reach the best possible conclusions. This isn't Watergate--we haven't had to conduct "professional" investigations here in order to collect our evidence in building our case; Jason has given us all the evidence we need, often for a "few Euros" on bandcamp! This body of "work" must be preserved in a public manner so that it can be subjected to scrutiny. I can't emphasize this enough.

Keeping the e6 "albums" available to review only allows for the possibility of further correction of this appalling thievery. You'll also notice--as my good friend Everyday Dust has pointed out--that as soon as a track has been identified as plagiarism it has been removed; such was the case with "Soylent Green," and it is available to stream no longer.

I think it's resoundingly clear who truly has, in the final analysis, demonstrated "poor form," and it's Jason. The rest of us are left to clear up the rubble as best as possible, including my partners at Sparkwood, who like all of us have been bewildered and outraged by this whole mess.
Cerebro See Through Red Eye

www.soundcloud.com/miiiimuzik

User avatar
Boqurant
Status: Offline
Posts: 70
Joined: 4 May 2012
Location: Columbus, Ohio
re-phaelam-ed wrote:wow...the PROPER thing to do is remove any and all werk by Eyesix an alias, and apologize for the mistake, and link to the original artists.
continuing to stream those tunes is wrong.

POOR form.


I also forgot to make it known how much I can empathize with your frustration towards this absolute nonsense. If one of mine was appropriated in such a manner, I'd probably be bordering on insane--angry beyond words. None of us artists can simply "shit these things [songs] out," to paraphrase one of the guys in SotL. They're like our children in some respects--we love them and nurture them and one day set them free, hoping that they bring joy and light into the world. For them to be manipulated and perverted in such a way is nothing short of mortifying, as I said before. I truly understand your anger--and I'm actually really astonished by the almost zen-like clarity and humility demonstrated by the targets of this deceit, I've learned a lot from you all. Thank you for being such stellar people.

I just wanted to ensure that that was crystal clear.
Cerebro See Through Red Eye

www.soundcloud.com/miiiimuzik

Previous

Return to This Random Sound

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest