DJ'ing some experimental music tonight on KGNU! [88.5 FM CO]

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Posts Quantity
Hey everyone!

Figured I'd stop by to let Twoism know I'll be broadcasting some rare and/or unique tunes on -governmentally regulated & approved- airwaves out here in Colorado tonight! For any local Coloradans, you can tune in to 88.5FM at 11PM - midnight MST, and everyone else can listen online (!) at http://www.afterfm.com/

The show is 'Under The Floorboards' and I'll be trying to stick to a theme of underheard music -- of course I may need to slightly deviate from that theme in order to play some BoC, but over here in the USA i think they might possibly qualify as 'underheard'.

Anyway, feel free to tune in if you're looking for something you may not have heard before!

be well everyone,
-mikey
mikeyholmes.bandcamp.com

Damn, have I missed this?!? Off to check what that is GMT...

Slow down...

Posts Quantity
Got back from the studio only a little while ago! All the shows get archived so I'll post a link tomorrow once the recording is up :) I know for a fact that you'll be quite familiar with a certain few tracks I played, heheh
mikeyholmes.bandcamp.com

Ha! How often did Mark Hollis get mentioned?? ;-) Looking forward to checking this out Mikey.

Slow down...

Posts Quantity
Mexicola wrote:Ha! How often did Mark Hollis get mentioned??

Ha! You're frighteningly on-point. Seems I've either gotta find a new obsession someday or accept my predictability :D

Anyway, here's the link to where you can find the show's archive! This session happened to be 'Under The Floorboards' on 4/1. As I do more shows this page will automatically populate with all my sets:
http://www.afterfm.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/shows.byDJ/djID/513/djName/Mikey%20Holmes

Curious to hear which of these tracks are new for ya/stand out. Thanks a million for listening!

EDIT: oh yeah, and i'll be doing a marathon 3 hour set tonight (technically tomorrow morning) from 12-3AM MST--of course it'll also hit the archive, but I figured i'd let ya/everyone know~
mikeyholmes.bandcamp.com

Dayvan Cowboy
Listened to this earlier on - really enjoyed it, man. The standout tracks for me, that I hadn't heard before, were Pattern Diver, Coil and your own Sweet Boys tune, which easily sits among the best of the set.
You're a natural on the radio too...oh and Talk Talk should be on every show - you know it.

Site Admin
What an entertaining broadcast! Although I wouldn't play much of the songs by myself as a "stand alone" track, I really love how they sit in this evolving cinematic vibe. There is a good story being told and I feel it, thanks man! Will check the first show as well.
Life is a Frequency

I'll give it a spin at work in the morning. Don't be too down on the so called predictability either. You got me into Talk Talk dude, so I'm eternally grateful. I just need Incredible String Band to click now.. ;-)

Slow down...

Just finished listening and it's​ 100% super-cool. BOC, Odd Nosdam, TalkTalk, Incredible String Band, Sweet Boys (YES!!!) and wrapping it up with SOTL? What's not to love?!?

More please. Fantastic Mikey.

Slow down...

Posts Quantity
Thanks so much for the kind words you three! I've had an absolute blast pushing my favorites sounds onto the airwaves, so I'm super pleased & grateful that y'all are listening and enjoying what you hear.

jcnporter wrote:The standout tracks for me, that I hadn't heard before, were Pattern Diver, Coil and your own Sweet Boys tune, which easily sits among the best of the set ... oh and Talk Talk should be on every show - you know it.

Glad to hear those tracks stood out to you! I'm a Coil newbie myself, the track I played is pretty much the only one I know by them, but what an intense song! Rest assured that there will be whole lot more Talk Talk to be heard on my upcoming shows 8)
The best thing about the format of Under The Floorboards and KGNU in general is that they really urge the DJs to play music that's as under the radar as possible -- as a result I end up looking at my music libraries and realizing that the songs I've got from my friends end up being the most underground tracks I've got! Very stoked that you were digging the sweet boys, I was happy with how 'theme for life on earth' fit into the set. Since you mentioned pattern diver, I suppose now is as good a time as any for my PD plug:

Pattern Diver completely blew my mind back in '08 when he turned up to play a super modest show at my town's local 'teen venue' (there were probably ~20 folks in attendance which was pretty good for this spot). At that period of time I was just barely starting to listen to instrumental electronic music, and the experience he brought was equal parts album and film. Ultimately, this show truly blew my mind to shreds at the time, and if it wasn't for this one-off show that blended organic electronic sounds with visuals from his personal past/synthesized natural fractals, I may have never gotten serious about making heartfelt electronic music on my own. That night I gave him all the money in my wallet to purchase a DVD version of his album (including both visuals + music) plus an O.G. PD t-shirt which was vital to rep at the only 'a decent man' live show I ever played!
anyway, the album that i witnessed on that night is called 'Echoes From Orion', and you can check out a live recording of the whole thing here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyCEzvPtT6w&list=PL1Ozi8pU3CdC4HgSn19FvIwEh7xIO93As
'Echoes...' was essentially his college thesis and came out a while ago so I don't think he's even selling it anymore -- I've hosted a download mirror of it on mediafire since 2009 so if anyone's interested, they can download the audio here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/eyn2tyzmju0/Echoes+From+Orion.zip
There's something about the sonics of this album that really hits home with the childhood nostalgia vibe, but it manages to have its own sound palette and melodicism that's very different from the BoC world. Of course since it was 2008 there's some cheesy ableton beat-repeating and filtering going on, but even listening back these days theres something kinda pure & naive about it that allows it to still feel beautiful on my end. Anyway, there's my Pattern Diver plug! Thanks for changing my life man...

Anyway, I had a pretty fun 3-hour set on Wednesday morning that you can listen to here:
http://www.afterfm.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/shows.byDJ/djID/513/djName/Mikey%20Holmes
I was definitely feeling pretty playful with this one and took more than a few liberties -- by the end of it i was about to fall asleep at the mixing board! Again, thanks a ton for listening! I remember from the 3rd annual twoism meetup that very few people had been listening to Odd Nosdam, The Books, or the ISB, so if I can get their songs into your heads I'll consider this all a huge success! I'll update y'all when the next show is coming up, should be April 22nd. Talk soon!
mikeyholmes.bandcamp.com

Mikey is far too modest to plug this again, so I'll do it for him. JCNPorter, do yourself a massive favour and head over here to find out more about the astounding Sweet Boys and their Foible Pangs record. My favourite release of 2015 and well worth your attention.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12576&hilit=sweet

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
Mexicola wrote:Mikey is far too modest to plug this again, so I'll do it for him. JCNPorter, do yourself a massive favour and head over here to find out more about the astounding Sweet Boys and their Foible Pangs record. My favourite release of 2015 and well worth your attention.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12576&hilit=sweet

I'm ashamed to say I meant to have a proper listen at the time and then never got round to it...I will correct that mistake pronto.

Posts Quantity
Thanks for the hype, mexi! We Sweet Boys need the good folks like you out there.

I'm stopping by to drop off the archive for yesterday's 'Under The Floorboards' which was a very special show indeed! Brought in two very cool friends who shared some very interesting music. Community radio is too much fun. You can go to 4/22 on the link below to hear the archive:

Hope you enjoy it! Would love to hear the good folks' thoughts on these eclectic tracks
mikeyholmes.bandcamp.com

Posts Quantity
Woah! Just listened to the archive and there's a little obnoxious noise throughout the whole set! hopefully ill find a better sounding recording from the night and host it on soundcloud or something. in the meantime, enjoy the fake vinyl crackle!
mikeyholmes.bandcamp.com

Is that opening track Logan from The Sweet Boys? It's superb whoever it is.

Loving this installment! The clicking noise is weird, seems to come and go. Got to say, I found it quite atmospheric lol. That French band though, wow! That guy has a set of lungs in him, just incredible.

Get on it Twoism. So much good stuff to discover here :-)

Slow down...

Posts Quantity
Back 1.5 weeks later with another installment! This time the archiving recorder wasn't screwed up, so unlike last week's show (which i'll put up a soundcloud link for at some point) you can listen in high quality straight off the bat from the link below. Another 3-hour marathon of rare and/or transcendental and/or personal jams!!!!!:

http://www.afterfm.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/shows.permalink/showID/17/showDate/2017-04-30/showName/Sleepless%20Nights/kgnuShowID/115488

@Mexi -- yup! Opening track of that last show was 'A Lonely Day' by my very sweet boy Logan Miley. That track was from a compilation album we put out 4 years ago together:
https://loganandmikey.bandcamp.com/album/sleep-stories
there's other releases by him on that bandcamp account, and you can find his soundcloud here: https://soundcloud.com/thanksmomanddad
Seriously miss that guy!

Wasn't that Camisetas track awesome? Very satisfying french insanity. The most mindblowing track from that mix IMO is the last track by Supersilent -- Amandine came in for her visit having just fallen in love with that band, and the album 6 from which we played the track 6.4 is so awesome. Every player (especially the synth dude) has a BoC-ish attention to detail when it comes to texture, but they're amazing free-improvising instrumentalists, the shit they come up with together is insane! Twoism ought to love this post-BoC shit.

Next show is 5/14, and then 5/27 -- hopefully we'll have a special goodbye show on the 5/27 as I'm moving out of Colorado on the 1st of June... I'll keep y'all updated...
mikeyholmes.bandcamp.com

Posts Quantity
adecentman wrote:I'll keep y'all updated...

Whoops! Guess I didn't follow through. I've been meaning for a while to come back with the final archives for the last few shows, and now I've finally got the downtime for it!

As always, you can click the link below to hear the master list of all archives:
http://www.afterfm.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/shows.byDJ/djID/513/djName/KGNU%20DJ%3A%20Mikey%20Holmes

Don't look at the tracklist before you listen! It's more fun this way :)

The penultimate show on May 14th was a collaborative set by myself & my friend Eraserhead from Colorado -- a pretty manic set since Eraserhead certainly prefers his electronics on the aggro side, but there's all sorts of gems scattered throughout! Those who listen might also hear a beloved cut from OOT :)

The final show on on May 27th is my farewell to KGNU! Tried to get a bunch of transcendental tracks in there for y'all. Of course there's a bunch of tunes that folks around ~these parts~ will be hip to, but I think there should be something new for everyone...

Thanks for listening! Can't wait to get back on community radio someday -- we need more positive brainwashing on the radio! Support your community stations everyone, and go get in touch if you're looking for fellow music lovers! The community radio culture runs deep (at least this has been my experience in America), and it's definitely a great place to find kindred spirits of all ages and cultures.

Enjoy the music!
mikeyholmes.bandcamp.com

Return to This Random Sound