*Bibio Appreciation*

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
Unlikely but worth a shot here but is anyone an obsessive enough fan that they happened to download audio off of his instagram videos? I've been doing it for years with his youtube and myspace vignettes. There were some great bits especially with his odyssey that he bought I'm cursing myself for now having grabbed those.

Posts Quantity
machinea wrote:Unlikely but worth a shot here but is anyone an obsessive enough fan that they happened to download audio off of his instagram videos? I've been doing it for years with his youtube and myspace vignettes. There were some great bits especially with his odyssey that he bought I'm cursing myself for now having grabbed those.

He had a lovely instagram and I was really surprised/saddened when it just up and disappeared one day without any warning. I didn't save any of the videos as I never suspected they were going to go anywhere. I also had some lengthy private message correspondence with Stephen back in the Myspace days, which I'm also kicking myself for not saving/copying because it too all disappeared once he deleted his Myspace account. If memory serves there was a lot of good stuff discussed there, everything from his process (in particular how "Overgrown" was recorded) to Boards of Canada to the nature of music fandom to digital vs analog media, and so on. He was very forthcoming and generous with me, which I probably didn't appreciate enough at the time given how virtually non existent his internet presence is today.

Sherbet Head
breadmaker wrote:
machinea wrote:Unlikely but worth a shot here but is anyone an obsessive enough fan that they happened to download audio off of his instagram videos? I've been doing it for years with his youtube and myspace vignettes. There were some great bits especially with his odyssey that he bought I'm cursing myself for now having grabbed those.

He had a lovely instagram and I was really surprised/saddened when it just up and disappeared one day without any warning. I didn't save any of the videos as I never suspected they were going to go anywhere. I also had some lengthy private message correspondence with Stephen back in the Myspace days, which I'm also kicking myself for not saving/copying because it too all disappeared once he deleted his Myspace account. If memory serves there was a lot of good stuff discussed there, everything from his process (in particular how "Overgrown" was recorded) to Boards of Canada to the nature of music fandom to digital vs analog media, and so on. He was very forthcoming and generous with me, which I probably didn't appreciate enough at the time given how virtually non existent his internet presence is today.

He's returned to Instagram. And I've encouraged him to post vids of his noodling again, hopefully he will. I had a few exchanges with him on his youtube channel regarding his vocal processing and those are gone too. It kinda sucks none of us thought to save this. Next time I won't be so foolish, I've started cataloging his vids and audio at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bumping Machinea's request above, as I'd also REALLY like to locate his video showing the Smallest Weird Number sample. The one where he played Incredible String Band backwards on vinyl.

Anyone? Please??!?

Slow down...

Boqurant
Mexicola wrote:Bumping Machinea's request above, as I'd also REALLY like to locate his video showing the Smallest Weird Number sample. The one where he played Incredible String Band backwards on vinyl.

Anyone? Please??!?

phpBB [media]

One Very Important Thought: Archive Everything.

Seeya Later. JD

You little beauty! Thank you!!!

Slow down...

Nova Scotia Robot
I've been getting all my local vinyl collectors to watch for ISB vinyl. What do you think my chances are that I'll get one? :P

Also, I oughtta get bibio vinyl when funds are available.

So then. New album "Phantom Brickworks" released 3rd November on Warp.
Sounds closer to his gorgeous pastoral sounds of old to me, but I've been wrong before.
I'm going to allow myself to get a little excited I think.
Don't let me down Mr Wilkinson, please!

phpBB [media]

Slow down...

Sherbet Head
Thanks for the heads up purchased!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posts Quantity
Listening to Phantom Brickworks this morning. Very different from his last release. Nice ambient textures if you're in to that sort of thing. I'm getting a SAWII vibe from it.

First impression is that it's lovely but a grower. For all I've harped on about wanting him to return to his more pastoral past it feels odd without his vocals and very slow and ambient. One track felt like The Caretaker (no bad thing). Fickle of me really.

Would like to know if anyone saw his show last night? Gather there were visuals tying in with the new music?

Slow down...

Sherbet Head
I really like it so far. puts me in an end of fall mood. I was really hoping for there to be at least one folky guitar tune on there though.. I miss compost era wilkinson. he had a bunch of short videos on his old instagram page with snippets of absolutely wonderful guitar tracks that I thought he might release with phantom brickworks.. I wish I downloaded them, if anyone has them I would appreciate a pm :)
nevertheless this release is lovely. like staring into the sun but your eyes don't hurt and everything slows down and you're on a bench contemplating .. things

Friendly Stranger
I really really like this sound - maybe a lo-fi Eno mixed with a pinch of Tim Hecker? My only gripe is that there isn't enough headroom on the master - too loud and harsh when played at higher volumes. It sounds excellent at mid-volume though. Also, doesn't the album cover seem a bit uninspired? Favorite part has to be the last track... it just makes me feel so content

Posts Quantity
lichtenberg94 wrote:I really really like this sound - maybe a lo-fi Eno mixed with a pinch of Tim Hecker? My only gripe is that there isn't enough headroom on the master - too loud and harsh when played at higher volumes. It sounds excellent at mid-volume though. Also, doesn't the album cover seem a bit uninspired? Favorite part has to be the last track... it just makes me feel so content

Yeah I'd also add William Baskinski in with the Eno/Hecker feel. It's lovely so far (I've only given it one listen) and a nice contrast to the more heavy, beat-driven stuff from the last few albums. Not that I don't enjoy that heavier side of Bibio - I do admire his versatility and his ability to maintain consistency across different genres. It's just that Fi has a special place in my heart and (like Mexicola) I've been wanting him to make a gentler album for a while now. I can recall an email correspondence I had with Stephen Wilkinson ages ago in which he complained about his fans who couldn't see beyond Fi and would forever be averse to his beat-driven stuff. I remember thinking at the time "oh shit, maybe that's me," even though since then I've grown to adore stuff like "À tout à l'heure." It's really only been "Take Off Your Shirt" that's rubbed me the wrong way.

And re: the album cover, when the album was first announced I thought that the promo image was just a temporary placeholder for the actual album art which would be revealed later. Then eventually I realized "oh, I guess that's it" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I'm assuming that the limited edition vinyl sleeves made with the old school letterpress look amazing: https://youtu.be/RWGOOFz6wyI

Eagle Minded
This album is stunning, my dudes. I've armed it on my iPod ready for a long autumnal walk this weekend.

breadmaker wrote:I'm assuming that the limited edition vinyl sleeves made with the old school letterpress look amazing: https://youtu.be/RWGOOFz6wyI

I have a copy and I can confirm it does look very nice. Here are some photos. (Apologies for the over-compression!)

Fair play, that looks like a lovely little package. Nice!

Slow down...

He's being interviewed on BBC6 Music over the next two hours on Stuart Maconie's Freakzone.

Slow down...

Eagle Minded
Waited 50 minutes for a 10 minute interview. Gotta love the Beeb.

Still, it was pretty insightful!

Mexicola wrote:Fair play, that looks like a lovely little package. Nice!

Yep, very happy with it. Even smells lovely. :D

Yeah, feel a little cheated but like you say it was still a nice interview. Just.....short?

Slow down...

Eagle Minded
Exactly that, mate.

Anyway, here's one for ya...

Why is the first track titled "9:13" on the album art, "09:13" on Bleep/Spotify/iTunes, and "1899-12-30" on Amazon/the Bibio Bleepstore? Which one is the real Spartacus?

PreviousNext

Return to This Random Sound