Orbital - Monsters Exist

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
Oh yes, was waiting for this!

Orbital are putting out a new album this September, titled Monsters Exist.

The album, to be released on September 14th, is Paul and Phil Hartnoll's first proper studio LP since 2012's Wonky. (That same year, they also provided the score for the movie Pusher.) Two years later, in 2014, the brothers announced Orbital would be parting ways after 25 years, only to return with a new single, "Kinetic 2017," last year.

https://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=41721

phpBB [media]
"What you are looking for, is where you are looking from."

Posts Quantity
Were my favourite electronic act when "In Sides" came out.

Was also listening to the Brown Album recently and it still sounds amazingly fresh

Hope the new one finds then returning to something like these ones above

Friendly Stranger
Just bought the mega bundle of this. Didn't like the price tag but couldn't resist. I've been having a return to Orbital recently too so it's pretty perfect timing. Super excited for this. Saw them in London back in December and they still sound massive.
Even a stopped clock gives the right time twice a day

Happy Cycler
Where time becomes a loop...

Friendly Stranger
There is a theory...

Site Admin
This track sounds promising!
Seems like a treat after the Wonky and Blue Album. I really thought they lost their magic.
Life is a Frequency

Sherbet Head
Aesthetics wrote:This track sounds promising!
Seems like a treat after the Wonky and Blue Album. I really thought they lost their magic.

I'm probably in the minority(?) but I really liked Wonky, it's like modern-time Orbital. Really liked the energy of that album. I mean, how can you not like this live version of Wonky?
phpBB [media]

I agree the Blue album was kind of a letdown, although it had a few nice tracks like You Lot, Bath Time and especially One Perfect Sunrise. The Alltogether was there low point imo, but still had some pretty listenable tracks.

When the single Copenhagen was released some time ago as a taster for their new album I knew they were back, fucking love that track!
phpBB [media]

Site Admin
It must be because I compare their stuff to Snivilisation and In Sides. The latter being their best album imo and one of the best electronic albums out there. This to me was their highlight and everything after went downhill for me so their 2004 split up seemed very logic to me as they reached the end of their creativity.

They hyped up Wonky by showing their working process and the journey how it came about. I guess the outcome disappointed me even more so I kind of lost track on them after that. Perhaps I should give them another chance...

It took me a while to get into The Altogether but I do like that one on its own.
Life is a Frequency

Dayvan Cowboy
0:46, broomielaw, glasgow. spotted a mile off!

the tune is alright, the chirpy synth feels a bit dry to me. To be honest I've never really listened to much Orbital but the emphatic praise in this thread makes me think I should. Any recommendations as to where to begin?

Eagle Minded
I have only ever liked one song by Orbital, Style.

Site Admin
Techboy wrote:Any recommendations as to where to begin?

I'd say In Sides :D
phpBB [media]

The album is a continuing listen. Dwr Budr might pull you into the album as it's one of my favs.
Life is a Frequency

Sherbet Head
In Sides is also my favorite album by them. It was also the first one I heard. It's a masterpiece imo. Good trip material too :wink:

I'm more of an Adnans guy though, but I love all of it obviously.

phpBB [media]

Dayvan Cowboy
I remember when they played Glastonbury and did a version of Halcyon mashed up with "Heaven Is A Place On Earth" and "You Give Love A Bad Name", and a live Doctor Who theme tune. Good times

Sherbet Head
Negamuse wrote:I remember when they played Glastonbury and did a version of Halcyon mashed up with "Heaven Is A Place On Earth" and "You Give Love A Bad Name", and a live Doctor Who theme tune. Good times

I was there in 95, was blown away... :shock:

Friendly Stranger
Quite simply start from the beginning.
Orbital 1/ Green Album does sound a little dated but is still a good opener
Orbital 2/ Brown Album is the perfect mix of high energy beats, pulsating baselines and textured rhythms. Impact and Rewind never fail to impress
Snivilization and In Sides took Orbital on a darker, moodier and more political journey with some nice jungle rhythms as well.
With inside The Girl With The Sun In Her Head is one of my favourites, however any song with a part 1 and part 2 never fail to impress either.
Middle of Nowhere I would say is the mos played album when I first got into Orbital. They continue with their excellent use of lush female vocals with Nothing Left (again both parts one and two) being a highlight for me.
I really enjoyed The Altogether although it does shift away from their usual sound. Meltdown I think is pretty epic.
It was around the time of Orbital 7/ The Blue Album that I started to move away from repeat listens of whole albums from a core group of artists and started to listen to a much wider range of music, including listening to the Solid Streel radio show. Blue album and Wonky I have not given the time it deserves although there are great songs on both.
Also check out non album tracks like the Time Flys EP.

Dayvan Cowboy
I always liked Chime Crime (with its sneaky Madonna sample) more than Chime.

Dayvan Cowboy
Going to see Orbital on Friday, they're playing the BBC biggest weekend along with Beck, The Manics and The Breeders among others. All for £18! Ridiculous.
Hoping they play 'Belfast' as the sun sets - that will be some moment indeed.

Sherbet Head
jcnporter wrote:Going to see Orbital on Friday, they're playing the BBC biggest weekend along with Beck, The Manics and The Breeders among others. All for £18! Ridiculous.

That's cool, have fun! Let us know how it was :)

Posts Quantity
I might have to go to Hull

Dayvan Cowboy
Gazebo4 wrote:
jcnporter wrote:Going to see Orbital on Friday, they're playing the BBC biggest weekend along with Beck, The Manics and The Breeders among others. All for £18! Ridiculous.

That's cool, have fun! Let us know how it was :)

It was sensational!

phpBB [media]

Next

Return to This Random Sound