Strange Soup/The Thrift Store Tape Discussion

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Boqurant
Orbited insanitarium wrote:
Electronaldmcdonald2 wrote:Enter… Cum… Cumulus… good god man, they’re trying to bum the clouds. Someone needs to stop them

I read this out in the voice of Alan Partridge. :lol:

Well of course it was Alan who first broke the story about these sexual deviants, in a damning expose on Norwich FM

Friendly Stranger
I put Cumulus into Google and got this.

Friendly Stranger
But either way, I'm still quite excited for the new tunes to come and I've been following on this new ARG for quite some time!

Boqurant
R7CrazyCanucks wrote:But either way, I'm still quite excited for the new tunes to come and I've been following on this new ARG for quite some time!

Yes! More of the thrift store VHS music can’t be a bad thing at all.

When you google ‘enter cumulus’ it just brings up a ton of results pertaining to mice sperm.

I had wondered if it meant to enter the word cumulus somewhere, like the end of @seeclips-xxxx but to no avail…

Sherbet Head
Mouse Utopia Experiments

Sherbet Head
I'm wondering if there are non BoC fans, Or any people who has never even heard of BoC, Are these people interested in this See Clips thrift store stuff at all? I sure they may appreciate the music and videos themselves but I mean the more fake ARG thing.

It really seems like this wouldn't be a thing and nobody would care at all if it wasn't for the mysterious lore BoC created themselves.

Find your own niche and create your own mystery, It's like so fake and been there done that and the sheer lack of creativity regarding this whole thing just downright annoys me. But now I've vented I can move on.

Boqurant
New video up translates as entercumulus again

New Seed
New video just posted on Seeclip channel:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7ypSEADFxKw

New Seed
Is it just me or the beginning of this new musical extract sounds a lot like Korona? Now for me this does not exclude that BOC could be behind all of this as this is still what I believe.

Friendly Stranger
luminousdusk wrote:I'm wondering if there are non BoC fans, Or any people who has never even heard of BoC, Are these people interested in this See Clips thrift store stuff at all? I sure they may appreciate the music and videos themselves but I mean the more fake ARG thing.

It really seems like this wouldn't be a thing and nobody would care at all if it wasn't for the mysterious lore BoC created themselves.

Find your own niche and create your own mystery, It's like so fake and been there done that and the sheer lack of creativity regarding this whole thing just downright annoys me. But now I've vented I can move on.

I am one who found BoC through the original Thrift Store Tape. I watched the whole thing first go down on social media since day one. I was apart of many groups on Facebook and one group in particular, is for people to post their unique thrift store finds on the group's page. There was one post that stood out and captured mine and others attention. It was a YT link posted in early Jan or Feb if I'm not mistaken. It sat on youtube for a hot minute until it started to gain views. The original guy who shared the link from in the "Thrift Store Finds" group, was someone who found the link in a "VHS Tape Collector's" group. I wish I had known this whole thing was going to turn into something because I then could have tracked the OP down. I grew up collecting music videos from VH1 and MTV by taping my favorite bands when they would come on so me and my friends would have to entertain us when I had sleepovers. I got into the hobby of collecting 80's and 90's nostalgia later on in life, thus is why I was apart of different FB groups. To this day, I now enjoy a good bit of BoC's music. I am not convinced that this stuff belongs to them, but I am in love with the whole mystery. Even if not for them and their whole lore, the thrift store tapes ARG shenanigans is a great way to kill time unitl the gods make their return, no? Just my thoughts. If and when they do, we will all undoubtably know.

Boqurant
steeldancer-x wrote:Mouse Utopia Experiments

Fascinating study. I thought the results were quite unexpected

Boqurant
Fredd-E wrote:
Electronaldmcdonald2 wrote:
luminousdusk wrote:Think about it.. How actually deranged do you need to be to literally pretend to be in a band you aren't in.

This is actually delusional

It would be absolutely ruinous to their reputation. To have put this much effort into cosplaying as BOC.
Also, if I was either Mike or Marcus and I saw someone putting out music designed to sound like a simulacra of early work just to fool people I would absolutely have to say something.

Throughout the years Mike and Marcus (as MDG) only reacted when their actual name was abused on a commercial platform. For instance the Chameleon song that was being sold on iTunes as BoC.
The music released in the ARGs since 2022 don’t abuse their name. They don’t claim to be BoC, they just try and come across as them and convince hungry and gullible fans into believing it’s them. Me? I rather wait for LP5 and a potential bocset being announced by Warp. Obviously Warp and BoC have interest in releasing old tunes in a neat package. That has been said numerous times in the past.

And about this eclipse arg? Just enjoy it for what it is but don’t try to make more of it.

I seem to remember there was an unscrupulous individual who tried to monetise the thrift shop VHS, didn’t they go as far as trying to copyright the music, and we got a statement from the arg peeps saying something along the lines of it being for free use, as it was originally made, but never to be monetised by anyone. That seemed in line with how BoC had described the early tapes they made, just for friends and family

Boqurant
It’s no accident that playlist they've shared has a few of the societas x tapes on it. Still wanting us to think its BoC, still not saying it is. If this isn’t BoC then they’re absolutely insane to have put this much effort in. If it is BoC, they’re equally as nuts for trolling their own fanbase. I still wonder if there’s a legal reason for not using the BoC name that relates to some exclusivity clause in their contract? They could easily use their actual names. Some of the material predates BoC anyway supposedly…

I seem to remember there was an unscrupulous individual who tried to monetise the thrift shop VHS, didn’t they go as far as trying to copyright the music, and we got a statement from the arg peeps saying something along the lines of it being for free use, as it was originally made, but never to be monetised by anyone. That seemed in line with how BoC had described the early tapes they made, just for friends and family

Check this and following posts.
viewtopic.php?p=304981#p304981

Don’t forget all the old tunes songs are already registered works (just like their official works) ready to be monetized. I still believe BoC and Warp in particular have a great interest to deliver a neat limited edition bocset.

Electronaldmcdonald2 wrote:It’s no accident that playlist they've shared has a few of the societas x tapes on it. Still wanting us to think its BoC, still not saying it is. If this isn’t BoC then they’re absolutely insane to have put this much effort in. If it is BoC, they’re equally as nuts for trolling their own fanbase. I still wonder if there’s a legal reason for not using the BoC name that relates to some exclusivity clause in their contract? They could easily use their actual names. Some of the material predates BoC anyway supposedly…

The arg people made a crucial mistake with this playlist. I mentioned it before in this thread. At the very beginning there was one song by Prohibited Broadcasting included in the list. After it got noticed it was quickly removed in less than 24 hours. Prohibited Broadcasting was part of the Catherine Fell hoax. Definitely an oversight on their part to include a hoax artist in a playlist where you want to make people believe it’s BoC related. And removing the PB song was super fishy.

Boqurant
Fredd-E wrote:
Electronaldmcdonald2 wrote:It’s no accident that playlist they've shared has a few of the societas x tapes on it. Still wanting us to think its BoC, still not saying it is. If this isn’t BoC then they’re absolutely insane to have put this much effort in. If it is BoC, they’re equally as nuts for trolling their own fanbase. I still wonder if there’s a legal reason for not using the BoC name that relates to some exclusivity clause in their contract? They could easily use their actual names. Some of the material predates BoC anyway supposedly…

The arg people made a crucial mistake with this playlist. I mentioned it before in this thread. At the very beginning there was one song by Prohibited Broadcasting included in the list. After it got noticed it was quickly removed in less than 24 hours. Prohibited Broadcasting was part of the Catherine Fell hoax. Definitely an oversight on their part to include a hoax artist in a playlist where you want to make people believe it’s BoC related. And removing the PB song was super fishy.

The prohibited broadcasting track is till there, u less it was a different one. Sounds pretty good. I totally missed the Catherine Fell hoax.

Boqurant
Fredd-E wrote:

Check this and following posts.
viewtopic.php?p=304981#p304981

Don’t forget all the old tunes songs are already registered works (just like their official works) ready to be monetized. I still believe BoC and Warp in particular have a great interest to deliver a neat limited edition bocset.

I wonder if they issued a cease and desist or challenged his right to monetise the tracks. Maybe they had to register it as their own in order to do so

Friendly Stranger
Fredd-E wrote:

That's not accurate information my friend. I am looking at the playlist right now and listening to the PB track titled "L'Alcool". The track was never deleted drom the See Clip YT channel's playlist. Unless you're talking about something entirely different lol. I have a screen shot to prove it. I just don't know how to post it here.

Eliotsworld1985 wrote:
Fredd-E wrote:

That's not accurate information my friend. I am looking at the playlist right now and listening to the PB track titled "L'Alcool". The track was never deleted drom the See Clip YT channel's playlist. Unless you're talking about something entirely different lol. I have a screen shot to prove it. I just don't know how to post it here.

Right now it is, but there was a moment they removed it. But that's not even the biggest issue, the big issue is the fact that artist is included. It kinda capsizes the credibility of the whole playlist.

Electronaldmcdonald2 wrote:I wonder if they issued a cease and desist or challenged his right to monetise the tracks. Maybe they had to register it as their own in order to do so
The registering of the old tunes songs dates back to at least 2009. This has nothing to do with the total eclipe of the VHS soup. Check this: https://bocpages.org/wiki/Registered_works

PreviousNext

Return to This Random Sound