New Music - Grateful for any listeners! Beats+Queasy Synths

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Boqurant
Hi all, I'd be extremely grateful for any listens / observations / feedback.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJMlO8Gi8DAnZ3DsDYCx1WTyqmzvnp6Xv&si=iQBsOdekT24Ikix_

I had an epiphany recently where a realisation of my own mortality engorged my heart with fear and triggered a fight/flight response, so I've finished off four tracks and "released" them (to YouTube) as an audio / visual EP.

It's psychedelic rap music, the line of my influences follows a path through; Quincy Jones, early Public Enemy, De La Soul (Prince Paul), Bomb The Bass, DJ Shadow, Aphex Twin, Autechre, and of course Boards of Canada.

The visuals are a real trawl through sci-fi films and TV of the 70's and 80's. I had a really fun time putting it all together and it really scratched that itch for nostalgia. It's full of really juicy images of sci-fi people pushing buttons on shiny boxes.

There's next to no chance of me getting a commercial release for this as I've taken samples from around 300 different records and films. So it's out there purely for fun.

Posts Quantity
Really enjoying what I am seeing/hearing so far. Kudos!

Boqurant
Hey thanks you so much for listening. I genuinely appreciate it!

Frindia wrote:Really enjoying what I am seeing/hearing so far. Kudos!

Boqurant
phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

Boqurant
phpBB [media]

I finished off another one, starting to get into a good routine for completing all my unfinished projects. I made a demo of this one in 2007, then left it to gather dust for a long time. Picked it back up about a month ago and gave it a quick remix. I'm fairly happy with how this has turned out. Will probably add more variations to the drums before I consider it done 100%

Eagle Minded
This stuff does sound pretty great and well produced! I'll have to dig deeper and check out more of the tracks, but nice work!

Boqurant
NTFMTS wrote:This stuff does sound pretty great and well produced! I'll have to dig deeper and check out more of the tracks, but nice work!

Thank you! That’s kind of you to say. I had a click through and listened to your Bandcamp page, you’ve got some great stuff on there. Nice textures and quite abstract sounds in parts

Eagle Minded
Electronaldmcdonald2 wrote:
NTFMTS wrote:This stuff does sound pretty great and well produced! I'll have to dig deeper and check out more of the tracks, but nice work!

Thank you! That’s kind of you to say. I had a click through and listened to your Bandcamp page, you’ve got some great stuff on there. Nice textures and quite abstract sounds in parts

O jeez thanks for checking out my bandcamp! Much appreciated

I forgot to say that I love the little intro visual you do for each of the videos, and I have to say that I think Ghostrains is probably my favorite so far! The shift around 1:50 hits a really great melodic sweet spot

Happy Cycler
Yo! Where you been all my life?! Your work is great!

Boqurant
NTFMTS wrote:

O jeez thanks for checking out my bandcamp! Much appreciated

I forgot to say that I love the little intro visual you do for each of the videos, and I have to say that I think Ghostrains is probably my favorite so far! The shift around 1:50 hits a really great melodic sweet spot

That arpeggio was honestly my favourite bit too. I had to stop myself overusing it.
Thanks for noticing the intros too! I’m trying to set up a design company for myself and I’ve got as far as the logo

Boqurant
mechanismj wrote:Yo! Where you been all my life?! Your work is great!

Hey thanks! And for noticing the John Harrison quite too! I’m pretty sure BoC took an inspiration from his score for Tomorrows Harvest too. I think they openly acknowledged that in interview.

I listened to your music on YouTube too, some great stuff you’ve made. There were a couple of your more dark ambient pieces that reminded me in tone of Basil kirchins score for The Mutations/Freakmaker.

Friendly Stranger
Wow, well, I've got to say, I'm pretty jealous about your drums sound (in a good way haha), I love that 90s boom bap vibe, sometimes I go for that sound in my own music. Definitely hear that early Public Enemy/DJ Shadow in there, but with your own twist. Love it, and can't wait to hear more!

EDIT - And your use of samples is on another level altogether! Plus the videos, damn. Insane, really appriciate you sharing this stuff.
Feel invited, to check out my music :)

https://www.youtube.com/@cabal_rose_tv

Boqurant
cabal rose tv wrote:Wow, well, I've got to say, I'm pretty jealous about your drums sound (in a good way haha), I love that 90s boom bap vibe, sometimes I go for that sound in my own music. Definitely hear that early Public Enemy/DJ Shadow in there, but with your own twist. Love it, and can't wait to hear more!

EDIT - And your use of samples is on another level altogether! Plus the videos, damn. Insane, really appriciate you sharing this stuff.

Thank you so much for taking the time to listen, I appreciate that, and for the kind words.
It's crazy how many talented musicians and artists there are on this forum, just had a listen through some of your tracks and they're great too.

I've got 4 more tunes I made in this style back in 2008 which I'm currently remixing. I've never used time-stretching or pitch correction/auto-tune, and now there's AI stem extraction. I'm not 100% against it, but I think the challenge of making this sort of music is becoming less. Maybe this is the point where it all gets really interesting?! or destroys the genre. Hard to say with any kind of certainty

Friendly Stranger
Crazy how far back your music goes, I've noticed its like fine wine, when you hold on with releasing your own music, and I've noticed in many BOC interviews where they've hinted just at that - letting your music sit on the shelves for a bit, and probably the longer, the better it gets :D

As far as AI goes, and all of that, its crazy - I've got a friend who is in the gaming industry (a very experienced programmer), and we were talking about how AI is going to affect the IT industry recently, and he has said, that the first ones to go, are going to be the artists who make graphics and models. But thats just a side note, as far as music goes, its gonna be interesting for sure, only time will tell :D

Also, thanks for checking out my music, appreciate your kind words!
Feel invited, to check out my music :)

https://www.youtube.com/@cabal_rose_tv

Boqurant
cabal rose tv wrote:Crazy how far back your music goes, I've noticed its like fine wine, when you hold on with releasing your own music, and I've noticed in many BOC interviews where they've hinted just at that - letting your music sit on the shelves for a bit, and probably the longer, the better it gets :D

As far as AI goes, and all of that, its crazy - I've got a friend who is in the gaming industry (a very experienced programmer), and we were talking about how AI is going to affect the IT industry recently, and he has said, that the first ones to go, are going to be the artists who make graphics and models. But thats just a side note, as far as music goes, its gonna be interesting for sure, only time will tell :D

Also, thanks for checking out my music, appreciate your kind words!

I think at the time I just wasn't bothered about anyone hearing it. But it was great to rediscover all the old tunes last year and give them a remix. There's always a new idea to incorporate into a tune if you leave it for long enough!

I suppose with AI it will just do all the boring preliminary work, so then people can put more effort into the really creative stuff. Same thing happened in design when desktop publishing began. No more typesetters, manually assembling pages that then had to be photographed etc. As a side note, I heard an AI generated song on YouTube called "I glued My Balls to My Butthole Again" and all my anxiety about AI melted away, as I started to consider all the potential hilarious misuses of it

Boqurant

You sir have crafted some of the finest song titles I've ever heard. Abacustard had me howling, also noteworthy are "Eye Crusts Over During Important Social Function", "Faceplant Into A Perpendicular Dimension" and "The Joyous Praise Of Porous Joyce" That's just pure poetry

Happy Cycler

You sir have crafted some of the finest song titles I've ever heard. Abacustard had me howling, also noteworthy are "Eye Crusts Over During Important Social Function", "Faceplant Into A Perpendicular Dimension" and "The Joyous Praise Of Porous Joyce" That's just pure poetry

Aw, shucks! Thanks for stopping by!

Boqurant
phpBB [media]

Here's more sample-based shenanigans. A sitar-heavy Hip-Hop track that's also a tribute to arcade games

Eagle Minded
^This is so dope!!! I absolutely hear the aforementioned vibes in this tune as well

Boqurant
NTFMTS wrote:^This is so dope!!! I absolutely hear the aforementioned vibes in this tune as well

Thanks for listening! I thought I can’t be the only one who likes a good old sitar over a breakbeat

Next

Return to This Random Sound