Loving, Oneohtrix Point Never's "Good Time" Soundtrack

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Posts Quantity
Streaming preview here.

http://www.factmag.com/2017/08/11/oneoh ... ck-stream/

Sounds like the spirit twin to Tangerine Dreams "The Park Is Mine"
phpBB [media]

Posts Quantity
I've got a wall of text for you.

Originally, I wanted something from deep within the mind of OPN, and I gotta admit I was a little salty on the idea of a movie being a distraction from that in ways. The release timing alone made it a kind of comical turning point for me though. Lopatin did an AMA on reddit last week btw...still going through it all, he answered a lot, but it sounded like he scored the soundtrack to cuts of the movie itself as opposed to other things like the script. That says something to me about what calls to him in art, and some seemingly unrelated things that have been going on w/me for years now sort of just clicked together while listening to and thinking about what he's done here.

On one hand, I've been pushing myself hard in the last few years to listen to new music outside of my comfort zone. I probably wouldn't have ever heard of the existence of 'library music' if it weren't for listening to some of us talk about how much we love it. While exploring, some artist styles call to me way more than others still, and at first I figured it was just my personal preference. A few artists are in a whole universe of their own in terms of how they affect me: BOC of course, also RDJ, FSOL, OPN. One experiment by Lopatin opened up a floodgate of interest for me in terms of 'vaporwave', which has been largely signed off on (the suspected reasons make me smile).

At the same time, I've been preoccupied over the last couple of years with concepts like reality, perception, bias, experience. I've been devouring related philosophy works. And in real life, I've been really interested in looking at my biases, the limits I choose for my own perception, and the same in those around me. Here in the US we're seeing uh enhanced(?) divides between our convictions. Sometimes our morals affect what we see. A lot of times they lead us in positive ways, and a lot of times they make us utterly blind. It's fascinated me lately, because understanding how and why helps me be more...human.

All of these things have been going on in parallel, these seemingly separate intense interests of mine, and the why has been a complete mystery to me.

Hearing Lopatin basically craft a universe of sound here that itself is based on his experience of another crafted universe (the film) brought connections between all of these things to the surface of my mind. They all clicked. I think I'm drawn to how experimentation in music can form this incredible window into how and why we as humans choose stimuli within our ability to perceive, evolve it through steps like cognition/relation/interpretation, etc. into entire experienced realities at various levels of consciousness, and how those evoke feelings that feed back into overall experience. For ex., we've talked before about how our experience of a new album (ex. TH) is affected by what's going on in our lives at the time. That's right at the core of what I'm talking about.

What makes me laugh hard is how long it took me--while thinking about perception--to perceive the connections I'd been making between these separate interests, to notice the tie-ins I'd already made, maybe even made at some level as a first step towards exploring those ideas in the first place. That says something about consciousness itself (another interest lately).

Anyway, pretty heavy curveball there, sorry about that. That's what's up with me lately though, how you doin?!

Return to This Random Sound