Various Artists - One on Twoism Vol.6 [2015]

WE DON'T BЯAINWASH

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Hang tight. Let me get the boss into it ;-)

Slow down...

Site Admin
Fixed!
Life is a Frequency

Dayvan Cowboy
woops. My bad. It's sorted now.

I think this OOT is stronger for being shorter also, it is more cohesive than some of the previous volumes; which isn't to say anything bad about those, just that this one is particularly good. It's not a grower, it's a "straight away"er. :)

Site Admin
I really enjoyed the listening party yesterday. As we say each time, we should do this more often! Just name it and I'll put an announcement up on twoism for another wavelength party.

The Telepathic Kid wrote:Question for Aesthetics, does Ochre ever have anything to say about our mixes? He's been doing them for years now, does he always give a little message like "this one's your best!" or anything like that?
or is it just a process of giving him the music and receiving it back a week or two later?
As far as I remember he doesn't really give much feedback. A few songs through the years which he gave some feedback about. He master the songs without knowing how they are placed in the mix and I can't recall he made a specific remark about the overall outcome. He does appreciate the project and is always positive about it when I'm in contact with him.

To all the artists: I will put up the mastered songs soon so you are able to download your own mastered song!

btw: Within the next few weeks I'll put up info about a possible vinyl release.
Life is a Frequency

I had no idea Ochre was involved in these compilations. :shock: I guess I should've clicked the name "Christopher Leary" a long time ago to see who was involved in mastering. I always assumed Robin's hands were in everything. This volume is nice and I love the darker tone of it...The microsite's lovely as well. This volume is right up there with volume 1 and 5 in terms of having a strong direction.
PLEASE LISTEN TO MY QUEER ELECTRONIC POP MUSIC: 2020k.Bandcamp |Twenty20k.com

Eagle Minded
Really good stuff... The overall standard is so high that I almost feel it would be wrong to mention any favourite tracks from first listen... I'll refrain from that just now.

One thing I will say: the Scyye and Bearhead tracks in their similar aspects make for an excellent segue 8)

Site Admin
Betacord wrote:One thing I will say: the Scyye and Bearhead tracks in their similar aspects make for an excellent segue 8)
They were made for each other :)

Also on Mixcloud now. Spread the word on as much platforms as possible!
Life is a Frequency

Posts Quantity
Thank you for making this!!

Dayvan Cowboy
Love Twilight Interface track !

Boqurant
I've given OoT6 a half dozen listens now, from start to finish, and I must say that I'm completely blown away by it. Every time I've listened now some small new wonder of compositional detail has emerged--some tracks, like "Sanctum" by Simulate Televangelist, or "Airplane" by SEVEN, or "Swallow Illusions Whole" by Sweguno are simply rife with them. I'm amazed by the cohesion of the album as a whole, despite the presence of four or five distinct sections: the album begins in astonishing fashion, with "Warm Waves" providing a dazzling introduction and segueing nicely into the blissful, barely controlled chaos of "Sanctum," which in turn settles into a synth-heavy, deeply sublime stretch than runs through the astonishing "Sequestered Sonata Above the Grass"; the impossibly meant-to-be pairing of Scyye and Bearhead provides the mix--through its sheer daring and glorious simplicity--with its most unexpectedly poignant moment; the middle stretch simply rocks, from the utterly singular "Swallow Illusions Whole," through the wickedly banging Sadsic tracks to the aforementioned SEVEN piece; after a brief ambient interlude the mix kicks back into gear through the final bit, concluding with perhaps my favorite piece on the record--"Antaku-3" by Polar Sky. I could go on for another paragraph about that track but I'd rather leave that door open hehe...
I think the unquestioned star of this edition, however, is our very own, fearless leader: aesthetics. If I were to listen to these tracks individually, over and over, for months on end, I still wouldn't be even remotely able to envision--let alone construct and execute--a mix of this level of craftsmanship. The middle, uptempo section is a thing of slippery-legged beauty; and the opening and closing tracks were expertly chosen. Never does the mix lag or lose its steam, even through the more sparse sections--on the contrary, these moments are likewise filled with little treasures, or achieve a highly evocative effect. Top-notch stuff, Ae!
It's not the least bit possible for me to name a favorite track right at the moment (a few minutes ago I thought I could, but I'm less sure now as I listen yet again haha), so I'll stick to three: "Sanctum," "Sequestered Sonata Above the Grass," and "Antaku-3" have all hooked me after my first few listens, but I'm definitely expecting that to change on the regular, maybe even from listen to listen.
This is a marvelous achievement. I'm so very proud to be a part of it, and I tip my hat to all the other artists who made this possible. I'll be spreading the word for the rest of Summer and well beyond!
Cerebro See Through Red Eye

www.soundcloud.com/miiiimuzik

Dayvan Cowboy
el Cerebro wrote:I've given OoT6 a half dozen listens now, from start to finish, and I must say that I'm completely blown away by it. Every time I've listened now some small new wonder of compositional detail has emerged--some tracks, like "Sanctum" by Simulate Televangelist, or "Airplane" by SEVEN, or "Swallow Illusions Whole" by Sweguno are simply rife with them. I'm amazed by the cohesion of the album as a whole, despite the presence of four or five distinct sections: the album begins in astonishing fashion, with "Warm Waves" providing a dazzling introduction and segueing nicely into the blissful, barely controlled chaos of "Sanctum," which in turn settles into a synth-heavy, deeply sublime stretch than runs through the astonishing "Sequestered Sonata Above the Grass"; the impossibly meant-to-be pairing of Scyye and Bearhead provides the mix--through its sheer daring and glorious simplicity--with its most unexpectedly poignant moment; the middle stretch simply rocks, from the utterly singular "Swallow Illusions Whole," through the wickedly banging Sadsic tracks to the aforementioned SEVEN piece; after a brief ambient interlude the mix kicks back into gear through the final bit, concluding with perhaps my favorite piece on the record--"Antaku-3" by Polar Sky. I could go on for another paragraph about that track but I'd rather leave that door open hehe...
I think the unquestioned star of this edition, however, is our very own, fearless leader: aesthetics. If I were to listen to these tracks individually, over and over, for months on end, I still wouldn't be even remotely able to envision--let alone construct and execute--a mix of this level of craftsmanship. The middle, uptempo section is a thing of slippery-legged beauty; and the opening and closing tracks were expertly chosen. Never does the mix lag or lose its steam, even through the more sparse sections--on the contrary, these moments are likewise filled with little treasures, or achieve a highly evocative effect. Top-notch stuff, Ae!
It's not the least bit possible for me to name a favorite track right at the moment (a few minutes ago I thought I could, but I'm less sure now as I listen yet again haha), so I'll stick to three: "Sanctum," "Sequestered Sonata Above the Grass," and "Antaku-3" have all hooked me after my first few listens, but I'm definitely expecting that to change on the regular, maybe even from listen to listen.
This is a marvelous achievement. I'm so very proud to be a part of it, and I tip my hat to all the other artists who made this possible. I'll be spreading the word for the rest of Summer and well beyond!

Very thoughtful review, and I'm glad you are enjoying my track as well (I am 'Sweguno' on there). I just got back from a week long vacation and will be listening to this regularly starting tomorrow!
My debut Sweguno EP 'Adapteras' is available here: https://atavisticspasmrecords.bandcamp. ... apteras-ep

Sometimes, if you’re lucky, you get to be in on something special, very early. In the know. Ahead of the pack. On even rarer occasions, you get to be involved, even obliquely, in something very special, very early. Those moments are few and fleeting and when they come, you’d better hope you’re ready. Will you recognise the signs? Will you hear the siren call? Or will the dawn chorus fade into noise all too quickly? From small turquoise acorns…

So here we are. An awful lot has changed in the almost three years since the collective talents of Twoism.org released their last bedroom-studio opus in 2012. An Arab Spring rose and fell, Aphex Twin sprang into action like a once barren desert wadi suddenly bursting with life at a pace we couldn’t keep up with, and strange probes landed on distant comets or performed drive-by’s on exo-planets billions of miles from the Hexagon Sun. Heck, even Boards of Canada deigned to release a new album. Rumours of ice ages passing or hell freezing over went unconfirmed.

Was Twoism.org’s own mix-meister general, aka Grim on Mbient, ‘Perfecting Sound Forever’, or just sounding forever perfect when he announced the new record would be with us shortly while we huddled in corners against the darkness of 2015’s winter months? Thankfully, it would seem that lessons have been learned from BOC themselves – if not directly in terms of sound (although clearly there are moments of outright homage. This is a Twoism.org release, lest we forget) then certainly in terms of quality control, attention to detail, refusal to compromise.

Let me be crystal clear from the outset – for there can no doubt whatsoever - this is by some distance the strongest OOT release so far. Nothing else you’ve heard before even comes close. The difference here is so marked it’s actually difficult to go back and listen to those early works, good though they are. This is a true watershed moment.

So how does it sound? Huge. Ominous. Dark. Fragile. Playful. Beautiful. All this and more. Listening to the record over the past few months, from an initial rough mix, right through to the brilliantly mastered final cut (Ochre, take a bow) it’s become clear that while each of these tracks are masterful in their own right, collectively this is so much more than the sum of its parts. All killer, no filler? Too bloody right mate.

One of the criticisms I’ve sometimes levelled at previous releases was that they could be a little lengthy, a little ‘flabby’. Sure they were fun and well produced, but I’d always find my attention wandering after a while. None of that can be said this time. This is a leaner, meaner, HUNGRIER OOT. It’s a honed Mexican prize fighter of a record, a pitbull with an attitude and it’s going to earn your respect, whether you know it yet, or not.

And here’s the thing that catches you off guard, sure you’ve got your backmasked vocals, and your sun-drenched synths full of wow and flutter. Yes, you’ll find shoreline field recordings morphing into ominous weather reports washed dreek with drone heavy guitars that Mike and Marcus, or even Messer’s Wilzie and McBride would be proud of. Of course you get SH101 basslines and glitch-filled chopped up beats and phrases that could have come straight out of Telephasic Workshop. But oh me oh my, there is more. There is so much more. This is the moment when the BOC-esque fanboys finally struck out on their own and planted their own flags. Make no mistake, this feels like these artists have grown up and found their own path. And it’s a little bit magnificent.

From the opening few seconds of Warm Waves by Hiflier, you know – you just know – this has been worth the wait. Guitar swells soak and smother your ears in dread while a distant storm warning is put through the ringer, vocoded and pitchbent within an inch of its life, ramping up to an almost frantic climax as thudding percussion rumbles into view like a cumulonimbus.

Suddenly, the gathering clouds burst and the pace rises as Simulate Televangelist by Sanctum looms into view. Any lingering doubts quickly evaporate to nowt. If this one doesn’t get your neck moving then I suggest you check your pulse. Glitched background noises come and go at speed, vocals and percussion drag you along by the lapels. THIS is the one and it knows it. Towards the second half of the track, the tempo and feel changes suddenly. Jilted Generation synths fight with audio banshees as a thumping bassline keeps the whole thing welded together like an oil tanker, before it all breaks apart, run aground on the rocks of glorious discordant NOIZE! Total chaos ensues, bird calls, staccato diced vocals. It’s got the lot. A behemoth of a track.

After such a frenetic opening, Drifting by Eyesix & Shane Anthony comes as something of a relief from the paranoia, a gasp of air for a drowning man. More mid-paced, this feels like waking after a particularly vivid nightmare. What sounds like live drums underpin a gorgeously rich track where waves gently lap and faint, half heard vocals make this the first real ‘old skool’ BOC-esque track so far.

The seque into Twilight Interface –Thunderbird is so seamless that for weeks I didn’t realise this was actually a separate track, despite a completely different main riff. One of the few genuinely warm tracks on the record, Grim’s genius mix flows beautifully at this point, pulling us along.

But like a summer in the Arctic, grab these moments of light while they remain. Any thoughts of respite are short lived. The temperature falls away again with Synthetrix - Sequestered Sonata Above the Grass. This is a genuine ‘builder’ of a track with Synthetrix carefully constructing a sense of theatre and drama over the opening to the track. Subtle sounds come and go. Is that a flag flapping in the background? An unnerving rattle similar to the slide projector in Kid For Today is barely audible, but totally intriguing. Synths swell and overlap beautifully, adding to the tension, keeping you waiting. Finally, and perfectly timed, a monstrous bassline and razor sharp hi-hats take the whole thing stratospheric before a perfect BOC-like synth line seals the deal. At over 6 minutes long, this is the longest track ever to grace an OOT release, yet it never outstays it’s welcome for a second.

And it’s around about now that you might expect things to flag a little perhaps? Get a little samey, or for the early bombast to begin to settle? Instead, things start to get very, very clever indeed.

Девять by Scyye is nothing short of sublime. Девять, as those familiar with the Cyrillic script will confirm, means nine in Russian, but this is definitely a ten. The main line sounds frustratingly familiar, yet weeks later I still can’t place it. Canon in D by Pachelbel? No, that’s not it. But perhaps that’s its genius? I know I’ve heard this before, years ago, and yet….perhaps I’ve not? Perhaps it’s just that good and I think I’ve heard it somewhere before? Like when you meet ‘the one’ and man, you just KNOW straight away, right? Regardless, this again highlights the miraculous ability of Grim to marry tracks that have no earthly right to go together, because what follows next can only be described as sensational.

Without skipping step, guitars blossom up like gossamer on a summer evening breeze. And then we get vocals. Not vocal snippets, or samples, or vocoded recordings of famous speeches, fun though those are. Proper vocals. And what vocals too. Double-tracked yet fragile in their delivery, on Keep You Here, Bearhead provides the jaw-dropping moment of the entire record. In a year which gave us Carrie & Lowell by Sufjan Stevens, a record so delicate it almost needed velvet gloves, this outstanding track feels like it takes those gloves and slips them on lest it collapse under the weight of its own emotions. When he sings ‘Nowhere to go! But you can’t stay here. Who will keep you here?’ Bearhead takes us to a place that is at once lonely and yet feels like home. Frankly, it’s breathtaking. As the guitars gently fade, you find yourself wanting to reach out and make it come back again. You long for more.

And how exactly do you follow that?!? Well, you could always try going to possibly the most eclectic and downright bonkers run of tracks on the record, right?

Naturally, you’d start with Sweguno - Swallow Illusions Whole, a track where ethereal vocals soar, playing high in the air like the angels from the Ark of the Covenant, where 80’s Tears for Fears backing vocals sit alongside a chiming, almost oriental lead synth before a stunning classical piano line leads us out of the asylum. This is a track that never sits still, never settles for what it’s got, and always looks to take us somewhere new. The vocals whisper ‘Just a dream’ and they could be right. A blissful nightmare.

And then, bang on cue, Sadsic comes along with two tracks that only lead us back off down the rabbithole again. With Clocke, hand claps and machine-gun-fast loops chop and change like a Tourette’s sufferer on speed. Then, we get the sucker punch of Danger Planet smacking us in the solar plexus for good measure. It’s all a little bit barking and it’s also totally and utterly glorious.

On and on they come, SEVEN – Airplane has a piano line that reminded me of Helios, only for more ridiculously fat bass to land on us like a C130 full of cement.

Thankfully, Grim realises we’ll start flagging if this pace keeps up and throws us a bone to let the dust settle. He’s got the confidence to know just when to change things up, even when things are going just fine as they were.

[MIIIIM] - Nawb Vrida provides the Collapse moment of the mix, a collage of field recordings, masked vocals, heavy breathing (?), cars pass by on deserted roads, reversed vocals, radio noise. The timing is spot on and it all feels like we’re being set up for the home straight. Which of course, we are…

MotorRad - Systems 2 is a case study in the old adage that less is more. No percussion, only 3 notes on repeat and yet it works. It also colludes with TTK - High and Low to engender a false sense of security. TTK has delivered his best work here. It’s stealthy, it’s slinky, in places it’s a little bit sexy. Somewhere we hear a phone off the hook, and could that be a train horn in the distance? The bass line is nothing short of wonderful. Nasal and reedy to begin with, but it flares open into a monster. The main synth line, again, almost 8-bit in it’s simplicity to begin with – but it’s just toying with us. When the whole thing suddenly kicks in, well, wow. There’s a cheeky sense of playfulness here and it’s all the better for it. One of the growers that you just know people are going to come back to more and more as time goes on.

As we turn the corner into the final stretch, Olaf Olson - Interlude 2 and Island Near the Clouds - In Parallel set things up nicely. A small but perfectly formed vignette followed by an almost Happy Cycling, hip hop on psychedelics track which twists and turns in all the right places and certainly doesn’t disappoint.

And suddenly, almost before we’ve realised it, we’re at Polar Sky - Antaku-3. BOC references abound, with drums that could have come from Seeya Later, and micro-glitches that remind the listener of Amo Bishop Roden. But, as with all these tracks, it never feels clichéd. It’s always homage, rather than banal photocopying. Emotions run high, with soaring synths underpinned by stirring strings, and as the echoing percussion brings things to a close, you begin to realise that 47 minutes just passed and yet it felt more like 20. Suddenly, as quickly as it arrived, it’s all over.

All farewell fire’s should be sudden. A masterpiece.

Slow down...

Site Admin
Gracias el Cerebro! I'm relieved now that this job is finished and reading comments like yours.
Do you mind if I use your review on Bandcamp?

Although I thanked Mexicola in private I'd like to credit him again for this piece. I asked him for a review (which I will use in a mass email tomorrow to spread the word) but couldn't imagine he'd write such a piece! I still haven't heard a word from some of the artists and I feel it haven't been picked up upon as the previous edition so I'll help it a bit by putting out a mass email to all the twoism members tomorrow.
Life is a Frequency

My pleasure Ae. Hope people enjoy the review. Tried not to miss anyone out :-)

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
Peerless reviewing O_o! Simon Reynolds would be proud!
My debut Sweguno EP 'Adapteras' is available here: https://atavisticspasmrecords.bandcamp. ... apteras-ep

Thanks! :-)

Slow down...

Boqurant
Goiter Sanchez wrote:
el Cerebro wrote:Very thoughtful review, and I'm glad you are enjoying my track as well (I am 'Sweguno' on there). I just got back from a week long vacation and will be listening to this regularly starting tomorrow!

Thanks a lot!
Oh yeah, definitely been enjoying it, I think yours is a prime example of what Mexi's talking about through this bit in his review:
"Make no mistake, this feels like these artists have grown up and found their own path. And it’s a little bit magnificent."
You can feel the influences but they don't usurp the artist. Certainly one of my personal favorites, as well as un utterly unique specimen, I really love the two main lead parts, and the vocal slicing / sequencing is top rate.
I think my personal favorite bit right now is the middle stretch that your track ushers in, through to the SEVEN piece. My own track "Nawb Vrida" sort of acts as a night cap after the party haha...

Boqurant
Aesthetics wrote:Gracias el Cerebro! I'm relieved now that this job is finished and reading comments like yours.
Do you mind if I use your review on Bandcamp?

Absolutely not man, please feel free! And by the way the transition from "Danger Planet" to "Airplane" is almost as miraculous as the Scyye / Bearhead bit :)

Boqurant
What a truly delightful piece of literature Mex, I enjoyed it thoroughly! Thanks for taking to time to offer such a detailed, considered, and entertaining analysis, I think you're spot on in highlighting the punch this record has: 47 minutes really does seem like 20, it never once runs astray, Grim orchestrates everything with a care, precision, and thoughtfulness I haven't encountered on a DJ mix since maybe the glory days of the Global Underground series.

And thanks for listing my track in the company of "Collapse," I think it's placement in the mix really ensures the most is made of it--like I said in another post, it's kinda like a post-rave night cap, hahahaa...

Ah ha! So that's you? Love it man. Superb.

Slow down...

PreviousNext

Return to Twoism Records