ONE ON TWOISM - VINYL RELEASE UPDATE / NEW POLL

WE DON'T BЯAINWASH

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Would you purchase OOT6 on vinyl, based on the new price?

YES! I'd buy one copy
40%
YES! I'd buy more than one copy (please comment to specify how many)
9%
Maybe. I'd want to know more first though. (fire away with the questions)
9%
No. Too rich for me.
28%
No. Just not interested in vinyl regardless of the price.
16%

Total votes: 58

New Seed
The remix wasn't what I expected, maybe I'm wrong but hey that's only my opinion.

Site Admin
Therefore wrote:The remix wasn't what I expected, maybe I'm wrong but hey that's only my opinion.
Which remix?
Life is a Frequency

Site Admin
I received the master but am disappointed with the result. The audio sounds clean though, almost no surface noise for as far as I can judge that with my setup and the quality of the vinyl itself is great though, very clean 180g.
The low volume, narrow stereo field and missing overall depth is what makes it sound different to the original. Because I can't create a good rip I did ask for a rip of the master (or snippets) so I can show you guys what to expect should we want to continue this project... Once there is audio I'll upload it and perhaps start another poll if some find the price/quality balance worth to buy a copy..

I'll keep you updated.
Life is a Frequency

Dayvan Cowboy
Sorry to hear that the test pressing isn't up to scratch. I'm not surprised about the lower volume, but the narrow stereo field and shallow depth are disappointing. I know that bass frequencies on vinyl have to be kept in mono and dead center. I believe part of the mastering process for vinyl is to narrow the bass but retain the stereo field width for the higher frequencies. Sounds like the entire mix has been narrowed.

Was the new master/mix done by the people pressing the vinyl? Is it worth asking Ochre what he would have done if mastering the tracks specifically for vinyl?

Hope you can find a solution.

Boqurant
Yes that is disappointing news. Many of the tracks are rich in stereo diversity so I can imagine a narrower stereo field would really have a negative impact on the music. But I'd be very curious to hear a snippet of audio myself, just for the sake of comparison.
Cerebro See Through Red Eye

www.soundcloud.com/miiiimuzik

Posts Quantity
Hi Aesthetics, How long is each side? I know you know this, but the playing time affects volume and bass response. Maybe for the next comp we should have a strict -3Db headroom and centred bass/rhythm! :)
Good luck
M

New Seed
We agree with Rodheh completely, boxset would be the way to go. Hold off until the timing allows it and for now keep plugging away with the current format. It just doesn't seem worth owning it on vinyl unless we can own all of the volumes on vinyl. Then at least one of us from our camp here in Dublin would fork out for it. I certainly would. Great to have to stick on when having people over or for a special night in. We love our BOC, Tycho and MBV on vinyl in this house and having the OOT back catalog in the same format would be amazing sitting there beside them on the shelf. Sort of ground breaking and affirming for the style of music.

Posts Quantity
I'd buy two copies and give one to a mate. Its pretty damn good. Sounds like the test pressing is pretty disappointing though. Poop. When we do come to a consensus on how to proceed I will get two copies.

Cheers,

C

Friendly Stranger
I'd definitely be up for a full box set as mentioned by Ad Asteris.
"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light."

Site Admin
I decided to drop the vinyl. Heard the test pressing over a good setup and it makes it sound even worse.
I will look into other solutions but don't count on it. I have to pull the plug on this one. Sorry.

My apologies for not getting back to all those who reached out in this topic. I was very disappointed in the result but still have trust in the company which pressed the vinyl. He kind of predicted the outcome and is willing to refund me the test pressing as he never had to let anyone down before. He gambled and lost which I really appreciate as there aren't many on demand cutters like him.
Life is a Frequency

Dayvan Cowboy
There will be other opportunities for an OOT vinyl release I'm sure. Probably for something new in the future but it's worth keeping in mind on any future projects when it comes to getting tracks mixed and mastered. Sad that it didn't work out for OOT6 though. The compositions and your mix were both top quality.

Dayvan Cowboy
Well it looked really nice in that picture! Hold onto it for posterity!
My debut Sweguno EP 'Adapteras' is available here: https://atavisticspasmrecords.bandcamp. ... apteras-ep

What Ian said. I see this as a learning opportunity rather than a failure. And kudos to the pressing guy too, that's fantastic honesty and integrity on their part.

Thanks to Ae for trying to make this work. Next time my friend, next time;-)

Slow down...

Happy Cycler
OOT physical medium ideas:

For a good vinyl that's more relevant when it releases - Best of One on Twoism, perhaps? Shorter mix of the highlights everyone's pointed out in their reviews over the years, fine tune the tracks (could remaster some specifically for a vinyl release) and try for a superior pressing? Just an idea.

OOT vol. 6 on cassette? :)

Probably only would interest a small group of people.

I'm sure I mentioned this but I still completely would love the idea of doing a more robust CD, if even just for one volume as some sort of box set would probably cost too much. Digipack with a really solid look to the cover [*points to 2004 MHTRTC reissue*] that folds out nicely, booklet with full credits, artist info+web links,series history bio, couple pages where those who submitted the track get to say a few things about their contributions and the community, best of the other proposed artwork (perhaps even as a little book of its own), bonus CD-R with those outtakes that couldn't be fit into the mix after however many attempts...anyone? :lol:

I still think it's a neat idea.

Anyways, I'm sure OOT will wind up on wax at some point in the future. As Mexi says, there's always next time. Holding this kind of physical release as a priority beforehand next time will certainly make things easier.
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Thanks for putting so much effort into the project!
PLEASE LISTEN TO MY QUEER ELECTRONIC POP MUSIC: 2020k.Bandcamp |Twenty20k.com

Eagle Minded
Will the test pressing be sold off :D
Out and about.

Telepath
Yes. That one record is now legendarely rare and worth hundreds if not thousands of economic units.

Site Admin
To compensate a bit for the cancellation of the project I uploaded the vinyl audio for yours to download. It are 4 sides and each side starts and ends unmixed so it is different to the digital version.

Vinyl mp3 (320)
Vinyl flac
Vinyl Artwork

Enjoy!

Cupz wrote:Yes. That one record is now legendarely rare and worth hundreds if not thousands of economic units.

Rare it is, flawless it ain't. :x

Stavorius wrote:Will the test pressing be sold off :D
Not for sale. Wouldn't be fair to the artists and community. Besides the quality I described the master also has a click/pop on side b.
Life is a Frequency

Telepath
That's what I said. Thousands of zimbabwe dollars.

Boqurant
I have a HUGE jar of pennies I've been saving for years that I'd cash in instantly in an effort to purchase that broken little gem, probably like 200+ American dollars at this point, so like 25 euros hahahaa... It also weighs ten thousand pounds
Cerebro See Through Red Eye

www.soundcloud.com/miiiimuzik

PreviousNext

Return to Twoism Records