ONE ON TWOISM - VINYL RELEASE UPDATE / NEW POLL

WE DON'T BЯAINWASH

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Would you purchase OOT6 on vinyl, based on the new price?

YES! I'd buy one copy
40%
YES! I'd buy more than one copy (please comment to specify how many)
9%
Maybe. I'd want to know more first though. (fire away with the questions)
9%
No. Too rich for me.
28%
No. Just not interested in vinyl regardless of the price.
16%

Total votes: 58

Chances are you recall that, earlier in 2015, Ae announced the possibility of releasing OOT6 on vinyl? You might also recall that no sooner had we run that idea up the Twoism flagpole than it was shot down in flames the moment we were (correctly) informed that we'd need a DOUBLE-vinyl release due to the length of the mix. Somehow, despite all our homework, late nights and high caffeine intake, we'd gone and forgotten about a little thing called physics.

Egg + faces = not happy.

Well would you like the really, REALLY good news first? Or would you like to hear about the small fly in the (pool) ointment?

The fantastic news, is that Ae has sourced a company who can produce the vinyl for us, based on a short run, for a relatively reasonable price. The slightly less amazing news is that it'll likely be more expensive than we'd originally hoped. By the time we add in shipping from the US etc, we're likely looking at a cost price of $65-70. That's roughly £43-£46, or €58 - €63 (approx). Not small beer, but still less than the new Mogwai boxset ;-)

For the record (pun intended), you'd get:

1x full color, 2-sided jacket
    2x 12” records (black or clear)
    4x full color center labels (2 per record)
    2x poly-lined inner sleeves (1 for each record)

The price per unit (2 records) will be $55.00 USD

So, with that reality check in place, we want to know how many of you are still interest based on this new information? This is not a commitment to buy at this stage. We purely want to know if we'll get enough numbers or if we're chasing rainbows.

Slow down...

Boqurant
I'd buy it, just not right now. When I get the money, and when I do, I'll probably just buy it instead of pre-ordering it. So yea, I'll wait till it's released.

Boqurant
Also, would the Clear vinyl version cost more than the Black vinyl version?

Dayvan Cowboy
Now, I'm going to run the risk of making myself unpopular here... I voted the "No, too rich for me" option.

I'm really torn about this. On the one hand, I absolutely love vinyl. It's my music media of choice, as Mexi (for one) will attest to. I love the idea of a OOT vinyl release. The tunes and Ae's mixing skills are definitely worthy of it.

On the other hand, it feels to me as if this project is trying to make a vinyl release out of something that doesn't quite fit the format. From an artistic point of view I feel it will negate one of OOT6's greatest strengths, which is its exceptional flow. Breaking it up once to fit two sides of a single slab of vinyl might have been ok but breaking it up 3 times seems a stretch. Also, from personal experience, I'm less inclined to play vinyl albums that are so fragmented and have such short sides.

I've noticed that lot of 'mixed' albums abandon that format for vinyl releases. The Late Night Tales albums, for example, are only mixed on the CD and presented as separate tracks on vinyl. Now, I'm not suggesting for a moment that you should take that path, but it perhaps highlights the pitfalls of pressing a seamless mix onto vinyl.

Personally, I would love it if Ae produced two 20-minute mixes (1 per side of vinyl) of his favourite OOT tracks (from all releases) for a special vinyl 'Best Of' release. Make it a real showcase of how good all 6 volumes are and tailor it to make the most of the format. Of course, I understand that's a lot more work and I know how tough OOT6 was to get right, so please don't take my thoughts as anything other than thinking out loud.

Not at all, I'm glad you voiced that thought Ian.

Patrix90, good question. Let me check and come back to you.

Thanks for the input guys. Keep the comments and votes coming please!

Slow down...

Happy Cycler
What the hell, I dodged 160 quid on the wrong train back to London with AB. Maybe I'll buy a couple and pretend I didn't. Like patrix90, it's a "not right now" though and that probably means "no interest, no more vinyl release", and even if I did buy one chances are that small run won't be small enough. So that's my question, how small is it? I'm thinking you could scrape together 15 users who will buy one any time soon and that's being extremely generous taking into account the people active these days.

Here's what I think: shelve the vinyl thing and do it later for a boxed set when it can be paid for more reasonably. Press it along with the new one and drop the new one about a month after the next BoC release so that there are way too many people hanging around who might buy it.

I just don't see this sort of thing happening right now unless the minimum is no more than 25-30 copies. If it's not any more than that and not tremendously time sensitive then I'm sure you could scrape together enough people to justify it then at some point within the remainder of the year but a confirmation would be best be more than a poll and more of a down payment.

I also NEED to add that if this is not something that ever ends up happening, I would immediately buy and am far more interested in a digipack release of this or any other volume with additional content like the cut tracks on a bonus CD-R and more artwork in a booklet or foldout featuring the runner up designs. I'm sure that's likely far cheaper.

There was some comment I was going to make coming from the perspective of having something you put together on the free record that would now be absurdly expensive where even if it isn't for monetary gain, it feels off, but I'll not say anymore of it - sold an original song to someone who put it on an original work that isn't mine and it's not something I should have any input on.
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Dayvan Cowboy
Hm... I'm really sorry to say that this would be too steep for me; even once I start earning money again there's just too much one needs in life and it costs a lot!

I'll keep an eye on this anyway to see what happens.

Boqurant
Have nowhere near enough money for me to get it at that price. Sorry guys!

Posts Quantity
Perhaps. Depends on my situation in a week.
"I'm not moaning! I'm humming a very low-pitched song."

Site Admin
I expected the price would put some off but the advantage of this plant is that even if we only hit 10, it will be pressed for the same price as 100 and we will have an extremely rare collectors item :)
Life is a Frequency

For the record, I'd still buy one. Its pricey for sure, but it's a collector's piece in my eyes. Even though my involvement was minimal, I'm super-proud of this album and feel a connection to it somehow?

Besides, to quote the often used reply to my ex, 'Its only £50 sweet tits. That's f*#& all in a five year plan.' ;-)

Slow down...

Sherbet Head
Id buy it, nice little reminder also of the great night had listening to it the first time in Dorset, it was pretty atmospheric so yeah.. where do I pre-order? Tis a little expensive though but ive spent much much more on on a hell of a lot worse things.

Dayvan Cowboy
I would buy a copy. I do wonder how it would be split up onto 4 sides though as the flow seems crucial...
My debut Sweguno EP 'Adapteras' is available here: https://atavisticspasmrecords.bandcamp. ... apteras-ep

Dayvan Cowboy
I'd love to buy it, just not now since I'm having some money difficulties.
When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare in the sun

Dayvan Cowboy
Oh man alive I'd buy one for sure.

Posts Quantity
nay

Too steep, however, I do support IanRedpoint's idea of a "best of" vinyl release.
PLEASE LISTEN TO MY QUEER ELECTRONIC POP MUSIC: 2020k.Bandcamp |Twenty20k.com

Friendly Stranger
I'll buy 3 or 4 copies.. if we do this

Posts Quantity
I'd buy a copy. Cheers!
Don't ask; relax

Friendly Stranger
If it did get released on vinyl, I'd pick it up. Not immediately though.

Next

Return to Twoism Records