Various Artists - One on Twoism Vol.3 [2009]

WE DON'T BЯAINWASH

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
I don't think it's about "defeating the teacher". At least, it shouldn't be. For me at least, BOC is just a valued inspiration. A couple of cool guys. A chief inspiration, even. But not an idol that I am trying to surpass or anything like that. I don't think music should be treated like a game, where you have to try to be better than people. It's not a competition.
“if you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.” - Desmond Tutu

"[Man] is by nature a political animal. And he who by nature and not by mere accident is without a state, is either above humanity, or below it... he may be compared to a bird which flies alone." - Aristotle, Politics

Dayvan Cowboy
saturdayindex wrote:I don't think it's about "defeating the teacher". At least, it shouldn't be. For me at least, BOC is just a valued inspiration. A couple of cool guys. A chief inspiration, even. But not an idol that I am trying to surpass or anything like that. I don't think music should be treated like a game, where you have to try to be better than people. It's not a competition.

well put. i agree with you totally on this.

still a neat write up.

Happy Cycler
saturdayindex wrote:I don't think it's about "defeating the teacher". At least, it shouldn't be. For me at least, BOC is just a valued inspiration. A couple of cool guys. A chief inspiration, even. But not an idol that I am trying to surpass or anything like that. I don't think music should be treated like a game, where you have to try to be better than people. It's not a competition.

hear hear

i've been thinking along these lines myself a lot lately, the attitude of competitiveness and lofty analysis and great big hungry expectations for everything are part of what's got me in such a crummy mood musically. i'm totally glad there are people at twoism who feel the same way.
another silo full / another dark dawn / bending the air / love is so small

returnal \ you've never left \ you've been here the whole time

Dayvan Cowboy
Yeah, I agree, it was a nice write up.
“if you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.” - Desmond Tutu

"[Man] is by nature a political animal. And he who by nature and not by mere accident is without a state, is either above humanity, or below it... he may be compared to a bird which flies alone." - Aristotle, Politics

Nova Scotia Robot

Well said man

Site Admin

Understandable reply but don't foget it is media... The headline should be appealing to trigger people to read the article. The author didn't really meant it in this way as he described in the article. He ends the review with the comment that it seems as if the BoCish sound is becoming a new (sub)genre.
Whether this is questionable or not, I personally agree with it. I think some of us have difficulties to step outside of the IDM genre and take an objective view of the genre itself. I remember a reply somewhere on this board where one described that heavy metal sounds all the same for an outsider, while there are many different movements for an insider.
Life is a Frequency

Aesthetics wrote:The author didn't really meant it in this way as he described in the article. He ends the review with the comment that it seems as if the BoCish sound is becoming a new (sub)genre.

It's a she. Inge is a female name.

Site Admin
Fredd-E wrote:
Aesthetics wrote:The author didn't really meant it in this way as he described in the article. He ends the review with the comment that it seems as if the BoCish sound is becoming a new (sub)genre.

It's a he, Inge can be used for both but it's very rare.
Life is a Frequency

Aesthetics wrote:
Fredd-E wrote:

It's a he, Inge can be used for both but it's very rare.
Weird. I stand corrected. But it's weird because I remember I did a google search yesterday or the day before, don't remember exactly, and found his name but with references to "her/she". But ok. It's clear now.

Dayvan Cowboy
Aesthetics wrote:

Understandable reply but don't foget it is media... The headline should be appealing to trigger people to read the article. The author didn't really meant it in this way as he described in the article. He ends the review with the comment that it seems as if the BoCish sound is becoming a new (sub)genre.
Whether this is questionable or not, I personally agree with it. I think some of us have difficulties to step outside of the IDM genre and take an objective view of the genre itself. I remember a reply somewhere on this board where one described that heavy metal sounds all the same for an outsider, while there are many different movements for an insider.

Agreed--the article itself was near spot-on. That heavy metal metaphor of which you speak was probably mentioned by Guido--if not, I'm sure he could vouch for it.

New Seed
Thank you for all your constructive and adult comments on my humble review. More importantly, thank you all for your awesome music. It was and is a genuine pleasure to listen to One on Twoism!

Robin pretty much said everything that needs to be said. The title is mainly to appeal. It's an often criticized journalists' trick, but it does do the trick. The really interesting point, I think, is whether or not BOC created its own genre. Your own discussion on the first 5 pages of this thread (which I read with much pleasure) inspired me to this thought, and I tried to elaborate on it.

But, most importantly, the review on Eclectro attracted a couple of hundred readers, most of them most probably unaware of Twoism, let alone the compilations that stem from it. I hope the review therefore helps the gifted musicians that made it to the compilation to be heard by a handful more people. Eclectro is meant to be a filter for good music, not a critical review site. I hope and think that my article about Twoism served that purpose!

Dayvan Cowboy
oot003mp3.rar was downloaded 698 times, of which 469 in June!!

39 times the referrer was the Eclectro article. Note that this number is not complete since many may have downloaded the files by going to the OOT3 site first and then clicking on the download link. Thanks Eclectro :).
Borné dans sa nature, infini dans ses vœux, l'homme est un dieu tombé qui se souvient des cieux.

Site Admin
Welcome on Twoism Inge! :)

To complete the OoT3 statistics.
digital copies: 698
physical copies: 58
Life is a Frequency

Happy Cycler
saturdayindex wrote:That heavy metal metaphor of which you speak was probably mentioned by Guido--if not, I'm sure he could vouch for it.

i think he meant my comment in this thread, in my post in response to davefrom2001: http://www.twoism.org/forum/viewtopic.p ... 7&start=25

Welcome to the place Inge! we all appreciate your writeup of the OoT series. it's that kind of thoughtful attention that keeps a project like this going in the world outside of Twoism!
another silo full / another dark dawn / bending the air / love is so small

returnal \ you've never left \ you've been here the whole time

Dayvan Cowboy
Aesthetics wrote:Welcome on Twoism Inge! :)

That's pretty sweet!
Please 'Like' the Retronym Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/retronymlabel if you enjoy our free releases, spread the word! http://www.retronym.co.uk

Dayvan Cowboy

8 of those physical ones are mine (sending them to people)!

Nova Scotia Robot
saturdayindex wrote:

8 of those physical ones are mine (sending them to people)!

I wonder if the old BoC address still works, if it does, someone should send them a copy.

Also, welcome to Twoism Inge.

Site Admin
747Music wrote:I wonder if the old BoC address still works, if it does, someone should send them a copy.

Also, welcome to Twoism Inge.

There are still 2 copies left to be send... shall I?
Life is a Frequency

Aesthetics wrote:shall I?
I shouldn't do it. The whole idea was to distantiate from BoC in the first place. Also BoC is very picky in their musical output, by which I think they have difficulties to listen to not-so-perfect-music which doesn't sound like the way they would've created it. So, yeah, I dunno...

Site Admin
Fredd-E wrote:
Aesthetics wrote:shall I?
I shouldn't do it. The whole idea was to distantiate from BoC in the first place. Also BoC is very picky in their musical output, by which I think they have difficulties to listen to not-so-perfect-music which doesn't sound like the way they would've created it. So, yeah, I dunno...
My thought as well.
I proposed it because I've heard about this idea before. I just want to point out that it can be done if the majority want it.
Life is a Frequency

PreviousNext

Return to Twoism Records