Various Artists - One on Twoism Vol.3 [2009]

WE DON'T BЯAINWASH

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Site Admin
Yes it does :D
Life is a Frequency

Dayvan Cowboy
Aesthetics wrote:Anyway. I GOT MY COPIES! :)
They look exactly how they should look but the fading colours on the front and back near the sides don't look as Joebot intended. At least, I didn't expect it to look like this. It's not that it looks bad but it looks like the inkt is washed out or something. Don't know if this was your intention Joebot?

Well, I havent ordered mine yet, but I think I know what you're talking about... I wanted it to look like the ink on the package had been bleached by the sun or something. Glad to hear that it's more noticeable on the printed version!
FUTURE FOREST DESIGN:
http://www.futureforestdesign.net

MOSS ARCHIVE MUSIC COLLECTIVE:
http://www.mossarchive.net

Sherbet Head
Got it as well! Listened to it a couple of times and i really like it, even in my not-so-boc-or-other-boccy-music-period.

Love the artwork on the CD itself btw!

Dayvan Cowboy
i really am happy about the way this turned out. the not-so-boc feel still has a boc-feel to me, but i still think this is one of the strongest volumes yet. when i listen to this it just makes me so happy that we all can come together and create a wonderful piece of art. from the album art to the web site and of course all the well crafted songs, i really think this board should be proud of itself. i dont think any of us ever thought this would extend on to three volumes, and i really feel this comp. has a bright future. i know there will be comps to follow and maybe even oneday other media projects will be taken on. the possibilities are endless and i do not think we should limit ourself. a great job to by all the artist that worked on this. it just goes to show you that a little idea can go a long way and i do not see us stopping anytime soon. keep up the good work twoismers.

Sherbet Head
This just keeps getting better and better every single time. I remember when the idea for the first compilation was being thrown about, and never could I have expected to hear something so incredible. Volume 2 blew me away and I still listen to it regularly and it always feels fresh and new. As for volume 3. What can I say, I no longer come on this forum in the hope of a new BoC album, I come here in the hope of hearing more music from you guys. Your all so talented and creative and this volume hits the mark in a way that no other collection of music has ever done for me.

Sorry if this all sounds a bit OTT, but a lot of the time Im so fed up and unimpressed with stuff, and I just keep my mouth shut, but this really socks it to you on many different levels.

Some favourites so far:

OK, first time I have enjoyed the intro as a piece of music not just an 'intro' if that makes sense. Normally I will skip the intro on the others, but not on this one.

Back To Human, Saturday Index, what can I say. I love your music so much I cannot express in words.

Music for Free, Soulsonic, fantastic. This is just wonderful. Everything is perfect.

Miranda's Infatuation, Kashmir, what can I say other than WHITEWATER> my fave BoC tune but it doesnt hit it until so far in, this is exactly the same, another cracking track. Suspense kills me!!

Thats it for now, thanks so much to everyone for putting this together.

Erroneous, another one, incredible really does it for me.

Wish I had a much better vocabulary to actually give this the words that it needs.

SallyBear wrote:I no longer come on this forum in the hope of a new BoC album
true true, we have bocpages.org for that. </shameless_self_promotion> :lol:

Sherbet Head
Shameless indeed!!!

(ps i became a fan on Facebook hee hee)

Ok, so really - what is going on here? I seriously didn't think the quality could get any better, but this is just sublime. A Clock In The Kingdoms track is.... wow. Words fail me.

Seriously. Just incredible. Everyone involved, take a big, BIG bow.

Slow down...

Site Admin
*Aesthetics bows to Mexicola.*

All these lovely comments made my finally update my site!

Cheers Sally!
Life is a Frequency

Friendly Stranger
haha i can't even listen to my track. sounds like it's skipping throughout most of it. makes me cringe

Happy Cycler
Still lovin' it.

I can see why you kept my track off, Aesthetics.

For the better, of course. ;)

Boqurant
snowpepsi, your track is the one that jumped out at me on first listen, incidentally.

This volume's rather more difficult than #2 on intial listen; there is less obvious catchiness. I'm looking forward to listening through it a few times, to properly get what's going on.
.sevooh htiw dog a ,snroh htiw dog A

Dayvan Cowboy
A Clock in the Kingdom's track blows my mind.
“if you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.” - Desmond Tutu

"[Man] is by nature a political animal. And he who by nature and not by mere accident is without a state, is either above humanity, or below it... he may be compared to a bird which flies alone." - Aristotle, Politics

Sherbet Head
saturdayindex wrote:A Clock in the Kingdom's track blows my mind.

Agreed!

Sherbet Head
Have to also agree amazing track

Friendly Stranger
hmm maybe i'm too critical. i'm getting used to the way my track sounds.
lovely comp overall tho :)

Site Admin
This great review was just being posted on Eclectro.nl (A Dutch blog)

Rough translation for now: (I'm not good at this, so I hope another Dutchy will translate it)

Does the Boards of Canada class defeat the teacher?

Roughly every year the artists of the Boards or Canada-fanforum Twoism, gather around to collect their best tracks and let it mix to a whole, and publish this in the so-called One on Twoism series. Volume 3 has just been released (for free download or physical cd for $ 6.50), where Ochre signed again for the mastering, and eclectro visitor Grim on Mbient took account for the mixing work.

In spite of the aim this time to sound less like Boards of Canada, the result still breathes its master air. Fortunately this doesn't spoil the fun. One on Twoism 3 supposedly is the most compact, coherent and musical adult edition of the mix series, full tracks which sometimes comes treacherously close to the Boards or Canada level.

Nevertheless the bulk of the songs is flatter than what you can expect from the enigmatic duo from Scottland. Drown into Geogaddi, Music Has The Right To Children, Hi scores and The Campfire Headphase meant for me a claustrofobic, melancholic, psyhedelic, dark and confusing experience each time. Whereas One on Twoism volume 3 simply offers a darned beautiful collection of melodies, atmospheress and ideas.

Whether this is an advantage or disadvantage, it's something you have to check out yourself by giving both parties an objective chance. In any case the OoT series show that the BoCish sound is a movement on its own, and that there are dozens of talented artists in this genre active.
Last edited by Aesthetics on Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Life is a Frequency

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Slow down...

Happy Cycler
I think it's a fair take on the project but from my perspective, only a portion of OoT contributions were even intended to sound like BoC. I think many of us (not so much me, here, but others - although if you want the honest truth i -still- don't think my music sounds anything like BoC, unless you think BoC consists wholly of warbly synths and hip hop beats - but here i'm pointing to other artists who contributed) started out already not sounding much like BoC or were ever headed in that direction.

However, we may be stuck with the lingering perception that we are all emulating or paying tribute to BoC, when the reality is that some are emulating, some are paying tribute, some are inspired by them, and some are none of the above. I get the feeling that different personalities will always view the OoT comp (and, to be more thorough, Twoism in general) as an internet BoC fan cult whose every broadcast or utterance is meant to be somehow a prayer to the masters, and others will think we are consciously striving to stray away from BoC-ish sound and inspiration, and still others will disagree with both of these explanations despite being around for the same experiences as the others. me, i think it's more complicated.
another silo full / another dark dawn / bending the air / love is so small

returnal \ you've never left \ you've been here the whole time

Dayvan Cowboy
Yeh I wrote my track about my time in Spain. Hardly BoCcish, and there are plenty of others on there that aren't 'BoC' to me at all. I find a lot of people are way too quick to say 'Ohh BoC copy!', but to some that may be a good thing.

A nice review though. Glad to see the comp getting some much deserved attention. kudos everyone.

PreviousNext

Return to Twoism Records