Depression

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Everyone feels down sometimes and that's perfectly normal and healthy. Depression is a more crushing despair and hopelessness that doesn't just go away. There are proper tests you can take if you're worried. They're also a good way to monitor your progress, although if in any doubt at all, speak to your GP.

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
I would never have imagined myself advocating such things but what nature provided as medicine is what got me through the worst of times as a bipolar patient/ ex drug addict/ ex fuck up criminal. Once a week I drink poppy tea and it is the only medication that has ever truly stabilised me. This comes with the risk of addiction (use more than once a week and you will become tolerant) and psychological addiction. If you are strong willed enough to only use natural medicines as indulgences bound once to every six moons I promise you it will be okay. I fear I am opening the gates of hell saying this as it is all too easy for ones greed and underlying need for comfort to allow them to break the rules 'just this once'. Stick to what was given by the divine (what grows) and see what works for you. Feel free to delete this post, moderators, because even I am uncomfortable saying/ suggesting it.

Dayvan Cowboy
Another thing I will add is that surrounding yourself with a synthetic environment will fill you with synthetic emotions. Visit somewhere that is literally alive. The trees have a kind of superior knowledge I can't explain. There is a direct correlation between detachment from nature and depression/ illness.

Dayvan Cowboy
Hey guys.

I've started a course of Sertraline AKA Zoloft as of yesterday. I'm not feeling any side effects yet, which is good because I know it can make people jittery and restless for the first few days.

Anyone got any experiences they can share?

I am on 25mg for two weeks then 50mg afterwards.

Sherbet Head
It's either my thyroid or depression. Good times anyway

Dayvan Cowboy
Bad news is, the Sert backfired massively and my doc told me to come off it as I had a severe reaction. I am still recovering and trying to get my balance back, feel like utter shit right now.

The good news is that once this withdrawal starts to fade I feel much more drive to finally kick this depression and anxiety. So it has done something good for me. I will be doing mindfulness and CBT soon. Regular exercise, eating well. Going outside as much as I can bare, seeing friends and family.

I am planning to do this without any benzos or other anxiolytics or antidepressants. I am determined to be happy soon and by my own doing!

Dayvan Cowboy
Good for you! But if you ever need to get back on anti-depressants, you could try a different brand of Sertraline. I nearly posted a reply when you asked the first time, but deleted it. I was on one brand for a while, came off it, and a few years later went on another. Noticed pretty quickly it wasn't working right. It SHOULDN'T make a difference, but for some reason it did. Doctor switched me and all was fine.

Sherbet Head
What are the side effects of sertraline you've encountered? It's my first day on the drug

Dayvan Cowboy
Thank you for the advice Messiah, I know that there are many types of SSRIs that I could try in the future if need be.

Naj, I will share my experience with you but don't take it to mean that this is what will happen to you. Everyone reacts differently to antidepressants, even the same ones and you just never know. Many people on Sert have little to no side effects. I will go through the common side effects first and then tell you what happened to me.

The most common physical side effect of all SSRIs is some kind of sexual dysfunction, a very large proportion actually. For me it caused difficulty in getting an orgasm. Some people get erectile dysfunction or reduced sex drive. Some people find their sex drive is actually increased. If you are concerned about this you should discuss it with your doctor, there are many other medications you can try to find the least side effects. Unlike other side effects, the sexual side of things tends to stay the same throughout the whole time you are on that particular medication.

In the first few weeks you may also feel dizzy, there are numerous other possible physical side effects but most of them tend to dissipate after you have broken it in as it were. Read the info leaflet that came with the Sert for all the side effects.

Mentally, you may feel anxious or even more depressed in the first few weeks. It is very important to keep talking to your doctor about how you are feeling. If you feel like you cannot cope talk to him or her as soon as possible.

Now, what happened to me is that I turned out to be highly sensitive to Sertraline, and it threw me completely off balance. On the third day I woke up feeling amazing, really happy for the first time in years, but also very foggy. In the evening I suddenly dipped and went into the other extreme, severe depression. I felt like I was dying actually. I was also very anxious and dizzy. I called my GP the next morning and he said not to take it any more, and to either try another medication or stop completely and just do therapy. I chose the second option because of the reasons I outlined in my other post.

All of this may come as a surprise to you because many doctors do not give as much information about the drugs they are prescribing as they should, mainly because they are very busy I suspect. My GP did not tell me anything basically, and I only found out about all these side effects by researching my self and talking to others who know about them.

I don't want this post to scare you in any way because you simply don't know how you will react until you are on it. Give it a chance, but it is your body and mind in the end so don't let doctors tell you what is best for you. Listen to the options they give you and try to make an informed decision. If you haven't made an appointment for therapy by now then you should, regardless of whether you are on any medication. Talking to a professional about your issues regularly gives you a better chance at long-term happiness than just taking a pill by itself.

If anyone thinks I am inaccurate or has something to add please do so, I don't want to give any bad advice in this thread :)

Sherbet Head
I was just wondering about your experience. And I do feel kind of worse and I got a little lightheaded today. I'm having my next meeting in two weeks, though. Can't wait, my psychiatrist is very nice and cool

I've had my first visit at a psychotherapist ever on Monday, and it went absolutely horrible. I hope the next one will be better

Dayvan Cowboy
I don't know how your health system works in your country, but you should be able to ask for a different psychotherapist if you don't feel confident in your current one or you clash with them in some way. You need to be able to trust who you are working with :)

Unlike the positive effects, the side effects usually start to appear much quicker so that is not surprising. It is what puts so many people off them. I would have continued with it probably if they weren't quite as bad as they were hehe.

Oh I forgot to mention because of the way they work on the brain, you may feel worse yet paradoxically have more energy. Or you might feel drowsy all the time. Can never predict it really.

Sherbet Head
Oh no, she said that she can't work with me so we said cheerio. My psychiatrist will appoint me to a new one.

I've always had this huge weight on my head- so many thoughts, but I just couldn't pick one. Now it's all clear. But it makes me feel weaker than other people, who don't need that. And I really hate the amount of trouble people had to go through to get me to the psychiatrist

Eagle Minded
I recently changed up my diet some, been helping a lot! Also, cardio does wonders... Keep pushing on, and if anyone ever needs to talk PM me. Always here to help or just listen.

S

Sherbet Head
I'm going to a psych ward. What do I do? What does it look like? I am so fucking scared. I don't want to live anymore at all

Please hold on Naj. PM me if you're struggling and we can talk about it.

Hope you feel better soon, sincerely.

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
I think we often underestimate how much our quality of life depends on decisions we make. Instead of drink another bear and siiting on my sofa I can go to the gym or read a book...But I always ask myself what is more important to me, to enjoy little things or have a biggers goals in life? Even the worst desicions could be seen through positive mind. Sometimes I think we walk on a thin line between fail and success. But we'r best when you want to breathe deeper, to jump higher, to run faster, to know more!

Sherbet Head
Hey guys,

I've battled with depression and terrible social anxiety for a very long time, brought on my smoking too much weed from 13 onwards, IMO.

I went to see my doc a few weeks back, and was put on 15mg Mirtazapine (remeron) for 3 weeks, which didn't do anything, so I was beginning to lose all hope. However! I found out the theraputic doses dont kick in until 30mg and above, and I'm almost 2 weeks on 30mg and I feel great. No more anxiety, much happier and motivated and focused. I think it's something some of you might like to look into. It also helps me sleep great!

I couldn't handle the side effects of SNRIs/SSRIs, but the only real side effect of Mirt is increased appetite, and weight gain. But I've put on no weight as I cycle a lot now again and watch what I eat! It's been a live saver.

Wish you all the best, there's light at the end of the tunnel! :)

Eagle Minded
Glad it's worked out for you. People are quick to dismiss SSRIs, but I suspect some of that is because you don't get instant results. You need to be on them consistently over a period of time.

I hate to raise this, but anyone heard from Naj since his post above? Bit concerned about him to be honest..

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
lol, really hope he's ok

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground