Windows 10

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Are you getting Windows 10?

Poll ended at Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:25 am

Yes!
29%
I'll wait until some initial reactions/patches come out first.
29%
Windows 10? What about Windows 9?
14%
No.
14%
Never.
No votes
I'm more of an Apple/Linux kind of user.
14%

Total votes: 14

Dayvan Cowboy
No threads on this yet?!

Who's down? Who's scared? Who's waiting for some initial patches?

Dayvan Cowboy
I'm a Linux and Windows user, but I'll stick with 7 for as long as the security updates last. If I can be confident that 10 contains no keylogger, backdoor or trojan of any sort then I'll consider it for the speed improvements and such.

Happy Cycler
Aerial Boundaries wrote:I'm a Windows user, but I'll stick with 7 until there's reason to switch. If I can be confident that 10 contains any sort of benefit over 7 without crippling the user by forcing them to use a mobile OS on their desktop by default, I'll consider it for the supposed speed improvements and such.

Changed to my response.
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Sherbet Head
Aye! I will be getting it... more of a professional thing though, gotta try these things out if its in your job description. I'm really interested and sadly excited to see how it is. I'm guessing it will either be the best thing they ever did or an Apple rip off failure haha.

Telepath
Not voted because: How dare you use apple and linux in the same scentence. 99% linux purist, microsoft can go eat his own shitty asshole. Made the jump after seeing the unholy abomination that is Windows 8 and never looked back. Don't even get me started on apple... The best argument I heard for macbooks is that their powersocket has a magnet. Still aint worth the thousands of moneys for crappy hardware and malware infested operating system.

I run xp on a limited virtual computer for some white hat sandboxing and sony vegas for when jonse is here and we want to dub a movie in less then a week.

Dayvan Cowboy
Cupz wrote:Not voted because: How dare you use apple and linux in the same scentence. 99% linux purist, microsoft can go eat his own shitty asshole. Made the jump after seeing the unholy abomination that is Windows 8 and never looked back. Don't even get me started on apple... The best argument I heard for macbooks is that their powersocket has a magnet. Still aint worth the thousands of moneys for crappy hardware and malware infested operating system.

I run xp on a limited virtual computer for some white hat sandboxing and sony vegas for when jonse is here and we want to dub a movie in less then a week.

perhaps apple/linux is just an alternative way of saying not windows. don't take offense and vote for your preferential side of the / .

I'm apple all the way...Logic Studio

Dayvan Cowboy
Aerial Boundaries wrote:I'm a Linux and Windows user, but I'll stick with 7 for as long as the security updates last. If I can be confident that 10 contains no keylogger, backdoor or trojan of any sort then I'll consider it for the speed improvements and such.

Here are some win10 concerns: http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2015/07/29/wind-nos/

Dayvan Cowboy
zeitgeist wrote:
Aerial Boundaries wrote:I'm a Linux and Windows user, but I'll stick with 7 for as long as the security updates last. If I can be confident that 10 contains no keylogger, backdoor or trojan of any sort then I'll consider it for the speed improvements and such.

Here are some win10 concerns: http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2015/07/29/wind-nos/

Not all of that seems to be entirely opt-out either, and even then I don't trust it. Without a massive amendment to that policy or a crack (I wouldn't buy a windows OS anyway) that actually disables all of it, forget about it.

Rodheh wrote:
Aerial Boundaries wrote:I'm a Windows user, but I'll stick with 7 until there's reason to switch. If I can be confident that 10 contains any sort of benefit over 7 without crippling the user by forcing them to use a mobile OS on their desktop by default, I'll consider it for the supposed speed improvements and such.

Changed to my response.

That is a secondary thing for me, I also hate it when people think messing with the traditional desktop on PCs is a worthwhile endeavour (see Win8 and GNOME shell for examples.) As far as I know they've toned it down somewhat from 8? I'm not sure.

Dayvan Cowboy
Upgraded from 7 last night. Nothing happened. Everything's fine. All programs working and in place as before. Works great. Let it do its thing and recycle a few times and boot times increase. Blazed this morning. CPU under the same load as before upgrade. Its a neat OS. You can get it to behave pretty much like 7 if you need to.

One unsupported driver for Roland Tri-Capture peripheral. One reason to wait if your system depends on peripherals to wait for their driver updates first.

Reasons to upgrade with 5 more years of 7 support? For me DirectX12 and 3D holographic development. Can't wait to get my goggles.

Oh the music files, if you have a lot all curated crazily from different sources with much in-player editing of tags, might be somewhat out of order with the new winplayer if you use that. It plays flac off the bat though. About 5% of my audio files I had to clean back up.

Dayvan Cowboy
Cupz wrote:Not voted because: How dare you use apple and linux in the same scentence. 99% linux purist, microsoft can go eat his own shitty asshole. Made the jump after seeing the unholy abomination that is Windows 8 and never looked back. Don't even get me started on apple... The best argument I heard for macbooks is that their powersocket has a magnet. Still aint worth the thousands of moneys for crappy hardware and malware infested operating system.

And to think I sent you pictures of my emotions.. ;)

Sherbet Head
Anyone who has upgraded, have you tried to do a roll back yet?

Dayvan Cowboy
lol vballs, is that how well its going?

i upgrdded cos my work Pc acme with windows 8 which was fuckin so shit, so i basically had no choice (downgrade not an option, linux not an option, argued for a long time and not very happy with situation)

it's certainly 100x better than windows 8 but i can't say that i know if it works better than windows 7 would on the same hardware, or if i prefer it. i prolly dont. dont really care, my personal machine is a mac now

Dayvan Cowboy
vballs wrote:Anyone who has upgraded, have you tried to do a roll back yet?

I thought about it as an exercise but frankly this OS is the shit. Its even snappier today.

I will report back if something like that happens at work.

Dayvan Cowboy
Would love it but Im on vista and there was no free upgrade. So here I stay till my PC dies.

Happy Cycler
Oh god, Vista. So glad I dodged that sinking ship. I don't like 8 anywhere near as much as I liked 7, so 10 is the only positive step I can take. Here goes..
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Dayvan Cowboy
Me too, never used Vista. Apparently they ironed out the speed and security issues after a couple of service packs, but that's still too late and there was no real reason to not use XP at the time.

Sherbet Head

I have a dual boot system with Mac OSX and CrunchBang. :]

Also, Linux can't run Max/MSP, so there goes your argument.

Dayvan Cowboy
Unless there is something I'm missing, Cupz uses a Windows VM anyway to run software which has no good alternative and can't be run in Wine.

Also nice to see a #! user. It's still very viable even now, with it's Debian stable/old-stable base. Can't wait for BunsenLabs though :)

Telepath

Lol, icewm.

But no, I use it next to never. Just for toying around with shitty scripts like soundcloudmanager every few eons.

Dayvan Cowboy
LOL, did you build cmus in cygwin? I did that:

Next

Return to The Playground