Edward Snowden's not the story. The fate of the internet is

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
I rarely read the Guardian, but this article is well worth the time: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/20 ... f-internet
Valotonin wrote:Celebrate collapse because it will be beautiful x

I can't work out what took so long. By that, I don't mean 'Why did it take so long for the internet to become controlled', but rather, 'Why did it take so long for people to realise that the internet has become controlled?'

Slow down...

Eagle Minded
I wonder if the aftermath of this will be anything at all. People will forget and keep emptying their cameras to Fecesbook/whatever, and these social sites will continue to require more and more personal information from their users. Like Google who seem to be forcing G+ and real names upon everybody in Youtube.

Happy Cycler
Mexicola wrote:I can't work out what took so long. By that, I don't mean 'Why did it take so long for the internet to become controlled', but rather, 'Why did it take so long for people to realise that the internet has become controlled?'

Hardly anyone even notices the shackles they're wearing in the 'real world', let alone the net.

Dayvan Cowboy
Mexicola wrote:I can't work out what took so long. By that, I don't mean 'Why did it take so long for the internet to become controlled', but rather, 'Why did it take so long for people to realise that the internet has become controlled?'

People are largely apolitical and technical subjects are hard to explain to non technical people. One of my first ever posts on the internet was back in 96 when the government were pushing through the RIPA which was one of their first attempts at legislating various things on the internet and at the time, a few of us were saying "this is a bad thing" but it was 96 so who cared about these things? It passed, and since then there have been many more little interlocking pieces of legislation go through.

When the Snowden story broke, it became clear that the terms of the RIPA were some of the ones that let the UK government claim what it was doing was legal, and it made me think, "well, here we are". No idea how to un-fuck the situation... the world's more and more reliant on global systems that aren't under one country's control, let alone the user's control. The only thing you can do is encrypt and be aware that some encryption algorithms are already backdoored, and the ones they can't break they can legally force you to decrypt if they suspect you of a crime.

Eagle Minded
@

Happy Cycler
mechanismj wrote:

Hardly anyone even notices the shackles they're wearing in the 'real world', let alone the net.

Well put, it is staggering how people genuinely believe they are free, or the world they live in is premised upon the state of freedom. Free will, free markets, freedom of movement, free press - more or less a total fallacy. Even in classical liberalism - which takes as its starting point that people are inherently free, equal and autonomous -there is a striving to control this 'dangerous' feature of humanity/civilization, whilst under the guise of championing basic human values and characteristics. Just look at this quote from John Rawls in his work Political Liberalism..

“How is it possible for there to exist over time a just and stable society of free and equal citizens?”

This is why I am always very dubious of someone claiming themselves to be a 'liberal', because it often doesn't mean what people think it means. Liberalism is about regulating the inherent freedom of man, not appreciating it.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Eagle Minded

Eagle Minded

Eagle Minded

Telepath
Just a couple more days and I won't need the internet anymore. I'm making my own.
Did you know Wikipedia is just 10gb and easily downloadable? Everything I could even want on the internet fits on a single harddrive.

Bye....bye......baayyyyeeeeeee

Happy Cycler
I wish you wouldn't, but you clearly have your own ideologies and (from my stand point) a weird as hell outlook.

Dayvan Cowboy
Cupz wrote:Just a couple more days and I won't need the internet anymore. I'm making my own.
Did you know Wikipedia is just 10gb and easily downloadable? Everything I could even want on the internet fits on a single harddrive.

Bye....bye......baayyyyeeeeeee

We going to set up a twoism pen pal network for when the machines inevitably try to farm us for cheap energy and the internet becomes a meaningless fragment of the past ?

Happy Cycler
People need to remain smart. The internet is a vast wasteland of good and bad. The idea of control or privacy being nonsensical online should be a forgone conclusion and you shouldn't need to find out that x is monitoring y to have already assumed that possibility and accordingly respond to it. Don't want your personal information on the internet potentially misused? Don't put that information up. Don't want to use your name on YouTube because of what Google did? Don't - use a fake one, then create a proper channel if you didn't already have one and switch over to it. I have never used my name on YouTube.

Many people have themselves to blame just as much as anything else. These are the type of people who needed their name to show up on YouTube to give a shit about it, the type of people who didn't take note of the online disinhibition effect to begin with and make sure to just remain a human being online as well. They forget that the internet is just a tool. Not unreality, not an extension of reality, just a tool within reality that some people take too seriously.
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Eagle Minded
Who created the internet?

Nova Scotia Robot
ShaneAnthony wrote:Who created the internet?

Ron Jeremy?

Eagle Minded

Eagle Minded

Sherbet Head
We're lost. I talked with a friend a few days ago about how the Five Eyes, Mossad, the CIA + NSA control most of the Internet traffic, and he bluntly said he doesn't give a shit. How can people be such tools? Are the governments really above using the stuff they've found about us on the Internet against us?

Return to The Playground