What games are you playing?

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
Flagship wrote:hey The Other, you have the resident evil 4 version for WII?

is it good? I'm thinking of getting it

EDIT: forgot to mention 1 DAY LEFT! pokemon is out on friday !!!!!!!

I really like it alot....but I never played any other version...so... I may have a biad opinion....

I think the controls work great...Almost like the game was made for it..

Happy Cycler
ryetronics wrote:
YELLOW wrote:
The Other wrote:Image

amen, complex for the win

No way. Temple FTW!

Those were the days....

Dayvan Cowboy
Bought Area-51 on PS2 today..I missed out on it when it first came out..as I didn't have a PS2 :lol:

And I downloaded Frets on Fire..not bad for a Guitar Hero clone I guess?
The preparation for a dive is always a tense time.

Sherbet Head
Red Orchestra, Project Reality, Insurgency.

Yes, I'm a realism shooter junkie and a irl gun nut. Crazy huh
MOST THINGS GO OUT OF STYLE, ' C E P T
F R I E N D S

Boqurant
At the moment, The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion and The Darkness. Both of which are almost addictive. :)

Telepath
Bump.

I just play Quake3 and its clones/mods (cube, openarena, xonotic, urban terror, etc.), occasionally replay some ms-dos/win95 classics and the odd indie-gem every half year or so. I don't know why but everything else I play looses its flair after a few hours. What is happening to the me/the gaming industry?

I think the main reason I make my own games now is because there aren't any good ones left to play. :O

Posts Quantity
Cupz wrote:Bump.

I just play Quake3 and its clones/mods (cube, openarena, xonotic, urban terror, etc.), occasionally replay some ms-dos/win95 classics and the odd indie-gem every half year or so. I don't know why but everything else I play looses its flair after a few hours. What is happening to the me/the gaming industry?

I think the main reason I make my own games now is because there aren't any good ones left to play. :O

I think I remember you posting some stuff about a game you were working on... have you been working on any recently?

I've been collecting a few odd games I remember from a while back in middle school to play again. Some are just as good as I remember, others are hard to go back to since 3d platforming/shooting has been so much more refined since then

Body Harvest - N64
Dynasty Warriors 4 - Xbox
Brute Force - Xbox
Giants: Citizen Kabuto - PS2

I feel odd being nostalgic for that era of gaming, but that was when it really blossomed for me.

Dayvan Cowboy
Moving home and I was horrified to see the number of games I'd amassed over 20+ years. Although very few games that stand up as classics when you take away the veil of nostalgia. Maybe only 5 or 6 on even the best systems. If I forget about Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask then there's pretty much nothing I would keep for the N64 for example.

Only thing I've played for any time recently is Tempest 3000 on the failed Nuon DVD player. Got a big pile of SNES carts to go through though. Tempted to play through Soul Blazer again.

Dayvan Cowboy
The Talos Principle, though it's making my POS machine fall over in the heat. Chilled, first person 3D puzzler with a whole developing back-story about AI and religion. Nice ambience to it, like walking around wrecked victorian walled gardens, abandoned egyptian ruins and so on.

Telepath
The talos principle was really cool, although the puzzles could be better.

Speaking of adventure games, I must say I've been pretty psyched for this for little over 4 years now: http://www.facethehorror.com/
If you've played scratches (and if you haven't and you're a fan of either horror or adventure games....GO PLAY IT!) you'll know this is going to be a big one. Scratches was Scary with a capital S, and did it without -any- gore. Just good old stomach-churning atmosphere and story.

Sherbet Head
I've been playing and getting very tired of Darkest Dungeon. The RNG in that game is infuriating and it's starting to annoy me. Anyway, if anyone wants a really incredible game to play, then go for TIS-100. It's probably the best experience I've had with a video game and it'll make you feel like an idiot for about an hour in exchange for feeling like a genius for about two minutes before restarting the cycle.

MrMessiah wrote:The Talos Principle, though it's making my POS machine fall over in the heat. Chilled, first person 3D puzzler with a whole developing back-story about AI and religion. Nice ambience to it, like walking around wrecked victorian walled gardens, abandoned egyptian ruins and so on.

This game has quite the atmosphere, and probably the best writing of any game I've played. Unfortunately the puzzles aren't as well constructed at times and the "philosophical themes" are overhyped. The "bad" ending was a lot cooler and more satisfying than the "true" one, which was both maudlin and shallow, in addition to being entirely predictable, while the hardcore ending was a massive disappointment. Anyway, I bought the DLC a couple of days ago and I'm excited to start it.

Telepath
I've played TIS-100 which was pretty fun, though I didn't play it long as I thought I might as well learn assembly language for real.
Infinifactory, by the same dev, however is another story.

Sherbet Head
Cupz wrote:I've played TIS-100 which was pretty fun, though I didn't play it long as I thought I might as well learn assembly language for real.
Infinifactory, by the same dev, however is another story.

Both are good, but I enjoy TIS-100 more because of how much more challenging it is. Infinifactory has a much friendlier difficulty curve, so it's easier to get into, but it also doesn't even begin to approach the level of satisfaction that is achieved when a TIS-100 puzzle is solved.

Telepath
It is as satisfactory as solving real programming problems. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea and it is executed so well and the mythos is excelent, but I just felt a little odd writing fictional programs while there where real programs to be written.

Another thing it does well is showing that programming isn't difficult in the way people often assume. A few commands go a long way, its the puzzle-solving and logical thinking that makes it hard (and very enjoyable).

Without a doubt the designer is a true genious. He also wrote infiniminer, which I believe pretty much formed the basis of minecraft.

Dayvan Cowboy
He did, and I was sorry to see that not turn into a finished game, but having seen how his other games turned out, I can kind of see why it didn't. I think it was a bit of a "blind alley" for him, style wise.

Sherbet Head
Cupz wrote:It is as satisfactory as solving real programming problems. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea and it is executed so well and the mythos is excelent, but I just felt a little odd writing fictional programs while there where real programs to be written.

I suppose that's true and it's certainly why I've gotten so much enjoyment out of the game. I really love solving programming problems, but the issue is that I currently lack the creativity to devote myself to a definite goal in programming. Therefore I appreciate a game that gives me a language and sets up the goal for me. The strict limitations make the puzzles even more interesting.

Dayvan Cowboy
phpBB [media]

Boqurant
Is nobody mentioning Undertale? Go play Undertale! It's awesome! You'll not regret it.

Sherbet Head
aoc wrote:Is nobody mentioning Undertale? Go play Undertale! It's awesome! You'll not regret it.

Probably because it was released last autumn and if there's anyone who hasn't played it by now, they really don't care about it.

I've never heard of it. Tell me more aoc. Cheers :-)

Slow down...

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground