Mr. Robot

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
Hmm. Yesterday's ep has me thinking. I liked it though.

Posts Quantity
LOVE this show !!!

and not surprising all of you do too, the creators have got some good taste in soundtracks that's for sure.

Sherbet Head
They weren't kidding when they said this season would be different from the first. A lot of fans of season 1 aren't digging it, but I am. So much crazy shit going on, part of the appeal for me is to see if Sam Esmail has a plan or is just figuring it out as he goes along. Even if it's the latter, it's still pretty awesome.

Sherbet Head
Same here. I love the ballsy approach he is demonstrating, and toying with people's expectations. Really makes me feel like control is an illusion.. how thematic!!!

Telepath
thought it read missy elliot for a moment :O

Posts Quantity
WTF I JUST DELETED A SONG I CAN'T UNDELETE WITHOUT $69.00 AND I TURNED TO THAT VIDEO ON THIS PLACE!!!!!!! i can record it again hahahahaa

i gotta see that show. :)

Telepath

Eagle Minded
jcnporter wrote:
Echo the Sun wrote:don't get me wrong, game of thrones is a glorified soap opera for men, and mad men is rife with contrivances and historical inaccuracies, but i still have a feeling serialized tv dramas are going to keep getting better because of the freedom on-demand tv services like netflix affords them.

I'm watching the current seasons of both Game of Thrones and Mad Men at the moment and for me they are definitely up there with the best TV series I've seen, along with The Wire and Six Feet Under.
I'd be interested to hear how much of them you've seen, as they definitely take time to reveal their best - sure, the media portrayal of GoT is 'Lord of the Rings with sex and violence' but for me it's a classic political drama, where complex characters reveal themselves and change over time as they struggle with power, responsibility, morality and the personal consequences of that struggle. Like any good genre story should, it addresses big issues and has much to say about them.
Again, for me Mad Men is not so much for me about how America changed through the 50s and 60s (I'm not from the US) - of course that's the backdrop and a huge part of it, but more of a character study of a man's journey through his 30s and 40s, struggling to see how he and his masculinity are affected by his own age, career and the social changes around him. I'm roughly the same age stage of life as Don Draper, so that probably was a big factor in my enjoyment of and identification with the series.
Definitely agree about Sherlock, for me it's pure entertainment from start to finish - although difficult to compare with the larger scale US TV dramas - it almost seems like British drama should be an entirely different genre due to the obvious constraints on what can be explored in a much shorter format - other recent highlights for me are Utopia and Southcliffe.
Actually I gave up on Breaking Bad after the first season, not really sure why, it just didn't pull me in, but I'll give it another go.

i tried giving GOT another try, but it repulses me on too many levels. where some see political drama, i see idiotic, senseless plots. where some see the best tv drama ever, i see Pretty Little Liars for men.

Sherbet Head
Season Three has started! I won't give away any spoilers, but I have a prediction about where Sam Esmail is headed with the series and if I'm right, it might shed more viewers than Season Two did. I have a sense things are going to get too weird for some. But as I say, I'm basing this only on the first episode (and also by following Esmail's twitter account and noting the stuff he references as things he really appreciates in TV and film).

On a related note, I'm currently reading the Red Wheelbarrow book that came out last year. Man, oh, man! If you're a fan of the show you need this. The book itself is incredible in its design and detail, plus there's a bunch of easter eggs and puzzles that you may or may not bother trying to chase down and solve, but you'll appreciate the effort put into it. I bought it when it was first released but didn't get around to actually reading it until now. Glad I didn't file it away somewhere and forget about it.

Sherbet Head
Anyone else watching this? Pretty great season so far. Irving is a great new character. We've gotten an episode that was a cool homage to The Shining and another that was commercial-free and edited to took look like one shot. Pretty impressive stuff for a show on basic cable, or anywhere.

Previous

Return to The Playground