The Needle Drop

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

I know a few of you have views on Mr Fantano. Interesting read....

http://www.thefader.com/2017/10/03/need ... s-the-plan

Slow down...

Boqurant
I've never been a fan of Mr Fantano though I don't hate him either.

The article paints him as having this right wing alter ego,however, i think they are missing the point.

I think what Mr Fantano is doing is twisting things to be offensively absurd.

4chan isn't my cup of tea really but I do get a chuckle now and again from there sense of humor.

It's trolling humor and the more offensive and absurd it is the funnier it is,the whole point of it is to go against social norms.

Sometimes the humor can be a little bizarre and i can see why people unfamiliar with this brand of humor can be misled if they take it at face value.

Dayvan Cowboy
I'm yet to find one person that's putting out that edgelord bullshit who's genuinely doing it as some kind of bizarre performance art. They all believe it on some level. And even if they didn't, there are plenty of people who do, and they're making a deliberate decision to feed them. So fuck Fantano, frankly. Someone who thinks like that tells you who they are, you listen the first time.

Dayvan Cowboy
Can someone explain to me exactly what Fantano said that was offensive?

I get that the ADL said Pepe the Frog was somehow a hate symbol or whatever but, silliness aside.
Has he actually said anything that shows his hatred towards certain groups of people etc or is anything to do with 4chan culture just considered to be the equivalent of damning testimony in a witch burning trial.

For the record I really dislike TheNeedleDrop's videos but that is just because I can't stand his personality and his tone of voice.

Dayvan Cowboy
Oh wait, there was more article below the adverts.

That's pretty messed up, man.
Some legit racist content there.
Should it be banned? Nope. People can and should be as hateful as they want so the whole world gets a chance to see the raw, unfiltered stupidity of it and make the decision for themselves. Censorship is about not trusting humanity to come to the right conclusion on its own, its about trying to play god.

Boqurant
Valotonin wrote:Oh wait, there was more article below the adverts.

I gleaned over this article too quickly.

I was under the impression that all he was doing was "i going to hell" type of humor.

Boqurant
theneedledrop: "The Fader Response"

phpBB [media]

Valotonin wrote:Can someone explain to me exactly what Fantano said that was offensive?

Nothing. The Fader took a shitpost channel out of context. While I think the culture of Shitposting is, well, absolute shit, anyone with half a brain knows taking a shitpost YouTube channel out of context does not equal journalism.

---
I'm a pretty far-left guy, so I followed The Fader about two years ago because I liked that there seemed to be a unique combination of politics and music that I was interested in, but over the last year and a half all I've done is eye roll and get ragey any time an article by them crossed my path because it was all witch hunt, pitchfork (the actual pitchfork, not Pitchfork), clickbait, far-leftist drab. The Needle Drop article is complete bullshit and I'm so happy Anthony clapped back with a response video.

The only thing I can hate Anthony Fantano for is for actually making The Needle Drop. I pondered for months whether to make 2020k a blog or a YouTube channel and I obviously chose the wrong avenue. Damn you, Fantano!

FACT tried to get political for a couple of months too, but I think they've calmed down, thankfully, because FACT is my preferred music source and playfully interacting with them during the Tomorrow's Harvest campaign on Twitter was probably my favorite part of that entire BOC2013 adventure outside of reporting on the actual campaign itself.
PLEASE LISTEN TO MY QUEER ELECTRONIC POP MUSIC: 2020k.Bandcamp |Twenty20k.com

Dayvan Cowboy
2020k wrote:FACT tried to get political for a couple of months too, but I think they've calmed down, thankfully, because FACT is my preferred music source and playfully interacting with them during the Tomorrow's Harvest campaign on Twitter was probably my favorite part of that entire BOC2013 adventure outside of reporting on the actual campaign itself.

Can agree with you on that sentiment. Whenever a Music Journal becomes too heavily entwined with politics (regardless of its leanings) it loses a lot of character and it also loses a lot of my respect. Literally almost every printed media outlet (or online equivalent) in the US has become at least slightly political and there is already so so so much that exists to express political opinions (of companies?) these days and you would think that with something as recreational as music, music one listens to to escape from a lot of the negativity in the world around them, that they would realise that people didn't need yet another entertainment medium slowly pushing politics on them at the same time.

Its getting increasingly more difficult to get a break from it all (politics) as everything seems to push it in some way or another these days.

Telepath
2020k wrote:The only thing I can hate Anthony Fantano for is for actually making The Needle Drop. I pondered for months whether to make 2020k a blog or a YouTube channel and I obviously chose the wrong avenue. Damn you, Fantano!

Still possible. I'd love to see it. :)

Eagle Minded
He was forced to shut down his tour because of that article, it's pretty horrible.
---
Fuck transphobes

Dayvan Cowboy
Radiobuzz wrote:He was forced to shut down his tour because of that article, it's pretty horrible.

It was immensely misleading. He should sue for defamation in reality.
Even I bought the out of context picture they had of a 'Black man hanging by a white noose' at first, not realising that they deliberately cropped out the fact it was a meme about people hanging themselves with toilet paper.

The with hunt media looking for 'Nazis' knows no bounds or decency.

Dayvan Cowboy
I don't know anything about this guy and have no comment on the article but re suing for defamation, I would not be surprised to discover that a lawyer advised him to shut down his tour as a result of the article so that he could demonstrate a real and measurable monetary loss in a future lawsuit against the magazine.

Lawyers gonna lawy.

Dayvan Cowboy
Techboy wrote:I don't know anything about this guy and have no comment on the article but re suing for defamation, I would not be surprised to discover that a lawyer advised him to shut down his tour as a result of the article so that he could demonstrate a real and measurable monetary loss in a future lawsuit against the magazine.

Lawyers gonna lawy.

That's actually fairly observant of you and I would be willing to bet that it will be used to add gravity to his case if a defamation suit comes up. When someone is branded as such by the media though, they can no longer feel safe at certain events as there are people that, regardless of the actual situation and if the media deems someone to be a witch, they will take every opportunity to try and physically hurt them. This whole "Let's attack Nazis that aren't actually Nazis" situation which ironically amounts to "Lets physically assault people we disagree with politically in a very stereo-typically Fascist way to prove that we are against Fascism"

I'm not saying there aren't real Nazis out there, but it becomes a boy who cried wolf situation when they deem everyone who has slightly unsavory views in terms of race politics (Or doesn't at all and is just misrepresented by the bloodthirsty media) a 'Nazi' and if the actual American Nazi Party walked into their town, no one would believe them.

Happy Cycler
Negamuse wrote:...so fuck Fantano, frankly. Someone who thinks like that tells you who they are, you listen the first time...

With great restraint, I rephrase my statement to "people take things too seriously for irrelevant reasons."

His 90's kid rant is on point. It's hard to have sympathy for anyone who only cares about his political beliefs (of which I should add, he's a vegan, which may not mean something elsewhere, but in the US it means that he's probably not typical right wing).
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Happy Cycler
Valotonin wrote:Can someone explain to me exactly what Fantano said that was offensive?

Probably part of a review at best. Otherwise, I can't think of a single thing that wasn't beyond the scope of joking around.

Dayvan Cowboy
Jonse wrote:
Negamuse wrote:...so fuck Fantano, frankly. Someone who thinks like that tells you who they are, you listen the first time...

With great restraint, I rephrase my statement to "people take things too seriously for irrelevant reasons."

His 90's kid rant is on point. It's hard to have sympathy for anyone who only cares about his political beliefs (of which I should add, he's a vegan, which may not mean something elsewhere, but in the US it means that he's probably not typical right wing).

I've had some... uncharacteristically unchill moments of late :D I'm trying to get a handle on it. My frustration is that there's a lot of people hiding dick behaviour behind "it was all a joke" and flirting around the edges - always with a bit of deniability - of not quite coming out with some seriously shitty opinions. Especially on Youtube. And I'm kind of over it, whoever it is, you know, some people it's easier to seperate the person from the opinion (and it really depends on the opinion and the person) but I dunno. At some level, if you're playing with putting that negativity out there, even for satirical reasons, it's still out there. If you see the fight going on and instead of thinking "I'm going to fight for the side I believe in" you think "I'm going to pretend to fight for the other side, because y'know. Irony", even if that is in itself a protest about the stupidity of fighting at all, you kind of run the risk of diluting the sympathy available for you when people take you at face value.

It's just a... easily avoided problem, you just have to not involve yourself in the first place. And I realise, here I am talking about not putting negativity into the world and not involving yourself in fights, and maybe I should take my own advice on both those scores. Just wears you down though, and then one day you find yourself going "this guy too?" and the frustration boils over. Some people are better at the satire, I guess. Fantano... for a comedian he makes a good music critic

Happy Cycler
I mean, I understand that sentiment completely. I suppose I just don't infer that Fantano is a "this guy too" situation, though that's probably because I separate his other channel wherein he might express what could be legitimate political beliefs I have disdain for from The Needle Drop, much in the same way I don't hinge on the political feelings a musical artist might have unless they're voicing them incessantly instead of doing their thing.

Interesting take Negamuse. Genuinely hope it was the satirical piece he claims. I guess only he knows for sure

Slow down...

Telepath
Negamuse wrote:My frustration is that there's a lot of people hiding dick behaviour behind "it was all a joke" and flirting around the edges - always with a bit of deniability - of not quite coming out with some seriously shitty opinions.

Very true. It seems a trend nowadays. Very angry people making very angry statements and call them "jokes". Some seriously unfunny jokes I've heard lately and it's becoming more and more prevalent. A lot of closet racism and sexism too, made light by calling it edgy humour. Either very shitty attempts at comedy or very shitty attempts at keeping creepy/crappy brainfarts to themselves. It's probably somewhere in the blurry, uncomfortable middle. If it was just the former then I'd want to tell everybody that they are less funny then pissing on a hotel towel and they gotta seriously work on their act. I like the odd dark humor here and there. I can appreciate some of Stanhope's darkest work. But those are, youknow, real jokes. Made by people that are actually funny.

And I am guilty of it too, but at least I sincerely try to be funny. And I realise it doesn't always work out.

Whatever. I blame, as usual, the internet. The world is slowly turning into /b.

Next

Return to The Playground