Switch to full style
Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.
Post a reply

Re: 2016 US Presidential Elections

Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:31 pm

phpBB [media]

Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:13 am

Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:58 am

Ah fuck it, time to embrace collapse.

Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:56 am

I feel sick.

Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:45 am

I'll just say that the fact that the leading candidate is the one who's been consistently mocked and berated by the media and other politicians is a good indicator of the disparity that exists between the nation's people and its institutions.

Betterthanyourkids wrote:On the other end of the spectrum, there's libertarian candidate Gary Johnson, but he's been compromising a lot on his views to appeal to disenfranchised republicans looking for a new candidate, which as a libertarian/ancap is very disappointing.

That's strange. I didn't vote for him because of how liberal he seemed. He definitely seems to be trying to appeal more to democrats in the way he presents libertarianism, since he focuses more on his social policy than his fiscal policy. Either way, he isn't a real libertarian and I have no idea how he got the party nomination twice in a row. Hopefully that will change in the next election.

Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:37 am

I know collapse will come no matter the outcome of the election, but I can't stop watching.

Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:56 am

I dunno, I'm kinda intrigued to see how this plays out now. With zero experience of how politics works I can see him so far out of his depth that he is effectively hamstrung by 'the system'.

Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:02 am

Turns out theres many more slackjawed yokels living in this country than I thought.

Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:36 am

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:40 am

It's official. America is Trump country now.

Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:16 am

A listen through of Tomorrow's Harvest seems appropriate tonight

Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:32 am

Sanders would have given Trump a harder run for his money. Sad.

Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:57 am

I could really use a new BOC track or two right now. Digesting this election is hard.

Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:58 am

Trump is really reminding me of biff in back to the future 2. I don't see how this is going to be good for anyone.

Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:15 am

So that's Michael Moore's career resurrected then. Add your own Sick Times reference here.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:16 am

I mean it's darkly interesting to watch this all unfold and see where it goes but my fear is that when Trump fails to Make America Great Again, there's not going to be a moment of self reflection where everyone collectively goes "this guy and his policies are stupid", there's going to be blame shifted onto scapegoats and diehard supporters whipped up into anger looking for people to take it out on. Holy shit though.

Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:34 pm

I find it funny how upset people are about it. People wouldn't shut the fuck up about how much they don't like Trump, so this election was extremely enjoyable for me to watch. Sweet justice.

Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:46 pm

donald trump is ugly!!!!! he looks like a fish!!!!!!

Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:14 pm

fujee wrote:Sanders would have given Trump a harder run for his money. Sad.

Yeah. During the primaries we kept hearing that Sanders voters needed to abandon their naive and utopian ideological purity and make the 'pragmatic' choice.
Even though Sanders consistently polled better against Trump than Clinton and had a higher approval rating, the media and the party knew better.
That worked out well for them.

Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:23 pm

drillkicker wrote:That's strange. I didn't vote for him because of how liberal he seemed. He definitely seems to be trying to appeal more to democrats in the way he presents libertarianism, since he focuses more on his social policy than his fiscal policy. Either way, he isn't a real libertarian and I have no idea how he got the party nomination twice in a row. Hopefully that will change in the next election.

Libertarians are supposed to be liberals, in the true sense of the word, as opposed to how the word is used in US politics. Socially and fiscally liberal and individualist. It's what separates them from Republicans, who are socially conservative and fiscally liberal.
Libertarianism as a concept originally started on the left, although some of the American right seem to have adopted the term. Unfortunately for them the more conservative, Republican right see them as lefties, which is why they get few votes from anyone.
Post a reply