This Random Thread

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
Valotonin wrote:On a more serious note, If one were to reconstruct the physical human brain in perfect detail, every synapse, every calcium-gated ion channel, everything; They would find that it wouldn't function. There would always be something missing. An airplane without a pilot. A computer without a user. What is that something? Surely bestowing love on an inanimate object for decades would transfer some of said something to the object.

That they had done that would imply that they had knowledge about all of the brain, knowledge we don't currently have. There's much we still don't know about the physical structure of the brain. So your idea that the remaining pieces of the puzzle are some ethereal substance rather than matter is an assumption.

Sure, there's a hard problem of consciousness, but it's still an open question.

Dayvan Cowboy
I thought the same as you until things happened that couldn't be explained by the "Life is pointless, we are all just on a rock in space and we come from nothing the universe came from nothing and we are machines" outlook that they are pushing on everyone.

Dayvan Cowboy
I don't think that. I'm refusing to make any assumptions. But perhaps you see me in this thread the way I see you in the other thread. Claiming neutrality on something that really doesn't require neutrality, because things strongly point in a specific direction.

And yes, I agree, there's something deficient in the mechanistic explanation of the world that science has happened upon. Doesn't mean that your teddy bear has a soul.

Dayvan Cowboy
Aerial Boundaries wrote:Claiming neutrality on something that really doesn't require neutrality, because things strongly point in a specific direction.

The notion that something points strongly in a particular direction is still the perception of the individual, though. Not absolute truth.

What is truth? *condescending music plays because of my condescending generic comment*

Its like when you meet a genuinely rather stupid stoned person who does the whole "What if I'm the only one that's real and everyone else exists in my head" shit like they are the first person to ever say it.

Telepath
Aerial Boundaries wrote:
Cupz wrote:The consciousness of inanimate objects is just as real as everything else.

Nope

Didn't get tomorrows harvest reference :cry:

Dayvan Cowboy
Cupz wrote:
Aerial Boundaries wrote:
Cupz wrote:The consciousness of inanimate objects is just as real as everything else.

Nope

Didn't get tomorrows harvest reference :cry:

It was the 'nothing is real' thing, oui?

Happy Cycler
Nice internet we had, there.

I don't have the time to argue with people who want to argue about the argument itself anymore. In the US, the appointed - not elected - body that governs over censorship, or "so-called obscenity" concerns has pulled something we already had truly free save for all the interference we're not informed of, needed to be addressed as "free" which was unnecessary and now is to be "free....no purchase necessary must be...." one of the things they have say over.

Clearly, nobody is home in this country. I've been intending on moving for a long time and various anti-trust and malpractice coupled with this has expedited that process.

I posit "Grab 'em by the pussy and to the left" becomes the new motto of the US. Also, Texas' new motto should be "indecisive pussies" for flaunting succession and not having the guts to try and go through with it, especially since there's a state bordering it and another bordering that one which would probably be among two of the easiest to persuade the formation of a new union (Colorado, I suppose, could RSVP if they wanted to, same with Louisiana) that would not be land locked, would have plenty of room for expansion, has the shared means, economy and infrastructure entirely to develop just about anything it possibly needs as well as the possible ability (albeit one that would likely get it declared an enemy of the US quickly if action were taken immediately) to install proper border control that is truly controlled and through many entries could be simultaneously accommodating in regards to immigration where people are granted appropriate visas and given a helping hand and a better life on the prerequisite that they support and aim to be naturalised within that hypothetical union.

Though I digress greatly with that. I don't foresee it happening because people can't get along enough even if they get along most of the time and I don't want to live here anymore anyways. Too many generations that need to die out first before Arizona's (often voiced ineffectively by idiots with smartphones and social media accounts) grey begins to surface on that political spectrum poorly articulated and reduced to "red vs. blue" by inept morons who have no idea about anything at all.
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Need a dose of schadenfreude this morning? You're welcome.

https://www.thepoke.co.uk/2017/12/14/ro ... 0.facebook

Slow down...

Happy Cycler
I don't need more. Seriously. I blocked fuckface's name from my browser because I'm living in a cartoon.

I'M FLOODING THE FORUM WITH MY POSTS TONIGHT. USUALLY IT'S CUPZ BUT TONIGHT IT'S MEEE. WEEEE.
PLEASE LISTEN TO MY QUEER ELECTRONIC POP MUSIC: 2020k.Bandcamp |Twenty20k.com

Happy Cycler
2020k wrote:I'M FLOODING THE FORUM WITH MY POSTS TONIGHT. USUALLY IT'S CUPZ BUT TONIGHT IT'S MEEE. WEEEE.

Whatever's therapeutic and floats your boat, go for it. :]

Dayvan Cowboy
I made this account when I was 14. What the fuck. Thanks for putting up with me for so long.
Valotonin wrote:Celebrate collapse because it will be beautiful x

Sherbet Head
I just listened to "Dandelion" and I want Leslie Nielson to come back in 2018. I miss him.

How do I make this happen?

Eagle Minded
Josh wrote:I just listened to "Dandelion" and I want Leslie Nielson to come back in 2018. I miss him.

me too

Eagle Minded
Aerial Boundaries wrote:I don't think that. I'm refusing to make any assumptions. But perhaps you see me in this thread the way I see you in the other thread. Claiming neutrality on something that really doesn't require neutrality, because things strongly point in a specific direction.

And yes, I agree, there's something deficient in the mechanistic explanation of the world that science has happened upon. Doesn't mean that your teddy bear has a soul.

I'm like a cross between you and Val on this. Like you, i know that teddies aren't conscious, but my emotional side is so strong, that I can't help feeling sorry for inanimate objects. I suppose I could try to quash those feelings, but I don't really see the point in denying that part of myself. I used to be annoyed that my emotional side didn't correspond with my logical side all the time, but now I just embrace it. Lately, I've been really fucked up emotionally, though. I fall in love with everyone and I want to hug and kiss them, and yet I feel a strange, teenaged sadness that I haven't felt in a long time.

Dayvan Cowboy

Happy Cycler
Echo the Sun wrote:
Josh wrote:I just listened to "Dandelion" and I want Leslie Nielson to come back in 2018. I miss him.

me too

Happy Cycler
Tell you what, there’s nothing like raking through your own old posts in the Now Playing thread and being able to place yourself back in the headspace you were in at the time. Hoo, boy!

Posts Quantity
Echo the Sun wrote:
Aerial Boundaries wrote:I don't think that. I'm refusing to make any assumptions. But perhaps you see me in this thread the way I see you in the other thread. Claiming neutrality on something that really doesn't require neutrality, because things strongly point in a specific direction.

I'm like a cross between you and Val on this. Like you, i know that teddies aren't conscious, but my emotional side is so strong, that I can't help feeling sorry for inanimate objects. I suppose I could try to quash those feelings, but I don't really see the point in denying that part of myself. I used to be annoyed that my emotional side didn't correspond with my logical side all the time, but now I just embrace it. Lately, I've been really fucked up emotionally, though. I fall in love with everyone and I want to hug and kiss them, and yet I feel a strange, teenaged sadness that I haven't felt in a long time.

I have not really been following this thread so I am not sure what all you've been talking about but this makes me think of the theory of Morphic Fields and Morphogenic Resonance. Although teddies are not conscious in the same way we are, what if there is a morphic field for teddies and what does it mean to resonate with it. I think its perfectly ok for your mind to reach out and interact with the teddie field and feel emotions while doing so! :-) I mean why not? I am not sure if Rupert Sheldrake, who has championed the theory of Morphic Fields, has come up in this thread so forgive me if I am bringing up things you've beaten to death already. I have not ventured into the Playground much but the dearth of exciting BoC news combined with finally not looking at Facebook anymore (fuck.that.shit) has me digging into the other boards now. :-)

Eagle Minded
herxagernsurn wrote:
Echo the Sun wrote:

I have not really been following this thread so I am not sure what all you've been talking about but this makes me think of the theory of Morphic Fields and Morphogenic Resonance. Although teddies are not conscious in the same way we are, what if there is a morphic field for teddies and what does it mean to resonate with it. I think its perfectly ok for your mind to reach out and interact with the teddie field and feel emotions while doing so! :-) I mean why not? I am not sure if Rupert Sheldrake, who has championed the theory of Morphic Fields, has come up in this thread so forgive me if I am bringing up things you've beaten to death already. I have not ventured into the Playground much but the dearth of exciting BoC news combined with finally not looking at Facebook anymore (fuck.that.shit) has me digging into the other boards now. :-)

i'm going to go look that up

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground