This Random Thread

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
Just read today about this performance on Letterman, which is apparently the subject of much discussion online. It's kind of hard to describe, bizarre's not really the right word - the combination of the music, the performance, the look.... the music's not really my thing, but it's strangely compelling viewing....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ee4bfu_t3c

^^^^ First thoughts = 'If Marlon Brando had done a Chicken Tonight advert.'

Slow down...

Happy Cycler
Yeah, I'd read a lot about it online before seeing the clip. Having never heard the song or the band before, I was expecting something amazing. Which never really came.

The sound is the kind of over-earnest, windswept "indie" in the Coldplay-Killers-Arcade Fire vein of "we like U2 & Echo and the Bunnymen". A vein I try to avoid. Lots of FEELINGS. With a dash of am-dram Ian Curtis from the singer.

At least he's getting into it I suppose - nothing wrong with a bit of passion, but not really my bag.

And for that reason I'm out.

Dayvan Cowboy
Mexicola wrote:^^^^ First thoughts = 'If Marlon Brando had done a Chicken Tonight advert.'

I went for Jack Black does David Brent with music by A-ha...although due respect to him for clearly not giving the slightest shit.

Happy Cycler
^ BANG! Nail on the head!

Dayvan Cowboy
Wrote down a weird little thing on a scrap of paper that can hopefully translate to new music if I can get it made. It's quite different in my head to my usual stuff; more chaotic and fidgety.

I'm quite excited about hopefully getting something done. Anxiety and self-doubt seems to have been ripping into me creatively recently... which can get a bit lame... :/

Sherbet Head
Have any of you guys seen this before? Musically and visually, it definately belongs here. One of the craziest animations I've ever seen!

Ravissement de Frank N Stein

EDIT:
My friend showed this to me citing it as the source of the new 0PN cover art. Keep your eyes peeled for that frame!
"Life is a stupid, meaningless thing that has nothing to teach you." -Slavoj Zizek

Happy Cycler
Just got back from my mates in Hackney, turn on the news, double murder from down the road where I was staying.. so dark.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Nova Scotia Robot
Amo Bishop Roden wrote:Have any of you guys seen this before? Musically and visually, it definately belongs here. One of the craziest animations I've ever seen!

Ravissement de Frank N Stein

EDIT:
My friend showed this to me citing it as the source of the new 0PN cover art. Keep your eyes peeled for that frame!

OPN Cover Art at 3:25.

Happy Cycler
I'd forgotten how much of a massive pain in the arse it is to move house.

After this time - I'm never moving again...

Happy Cycler
A_Northern_Soul wrote:I'd forgotten how much of a massive pain in the arse it is to move house.

After this time - I'm never moving again...

Currently going through that right now.. place we're moving to has a gigantic garden though.. happy about that.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Dayvan Cowboy
^ just wait til the first time you gotta cut the grass!

Happy Cycler
Techboy wrote:^ just wait til the first time you gotta cut the grass!

I think I will just leave it to grow, maybe have a small patch cut for practical reasons.. I wanna get some mushies growing haha, and also encourage wildlife of course :wink:

Mmmmm..the smell of freshly cut grass. :D
PLEASE LISTEN TO MY QUEER ELECTRONIC POP MUSIC: 2020k.Bandcamp |Twenty20k.com

Sherbet Head
2020k wrote:Mmmmm..the smell of freshly cut grass. :D

Oh god.. one of my least favorite smells. :x

Happy Cycler
A cup of tea after a long day is just what the doctor ordered.

Julian Candy wrote:
2020k wrote:Mmmmm..the smell of freshly cut grass. :D

Oh god.. one of my least favorite smells. :x
You're a madman! I'm allergic and I still go outside to lavish in it's fragrant beauty!
PLEASE LISTEN TO MY QUEER ELECTRONIC POP MUSIC: 2020k.Bandcamp |Twenty20k.com

Happy Cycler
So we moved out of the flat & the next person moved in.

And we move into our new place.......sometime.......soon...........maybe.....

In the meantime, we're technically homeless :/

A_Northern_Soul wrote:So we moved out of the flat & the next person moved in.

And we move into our new place.......sometime.......soon...........maybe.....

In the meantime, we're technically homeless :/

???

Thought it was a done deal man? What happened??

Slow down...

Happy Cycler
^ how long have you got?! There have been numerous fuck-ups along the way thanks to our lender (you might have seen a ranty post if Facebook). The latest is that despite our mortgage being in place, our lender's solicitor has now found out about a grant given to the previous owners from the council for improvement. The prev owners were an old couple who both died before this could be paid back. Bank now refusing to lend as long as this is outstanding as they don't want to be liable for it. Council unwilling to write it off. Essentially we're arguing that the grant was attached to the owners (now dead, so £ owed died with them), while other side argues the grant belongs to the building, so we'd assume liability.

TL;DR - it's all gone to cock and we've put all our stuff in storage (at a cost of +£300) and we've moved in with the in-laws.

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground