thee post when youre drunk thread

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
Not drunk... yet. But I have 15 gallons of cider fermenting that should be ready in a couple weeks. God I love the autumn.
"Life is a stupid, meaningless thing that has nothing to teach you." -Slavoj Zizek

Sherbet Head
What's your cider making process? I've made a few very simple short cider ferments, I've never gone to the length of bottling or anything. I just like a good mildly alcoholic sour cider. I'd like to do some longer term ones though.

Do you add yeast or use raw cider? I always just do mine with raw cider or yeast I catch myself in the air or off the fruits I add (I made a nice elderberry cider a few years ago).
All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Sherbet Head
rainier wrote:What's your cider making process? I've made a few very simple short cider ferments, I've never gone to the length of bottling or anything. I just like a good mildly alcoholic sour cider. I'd like to do some longer term ones though.

Do you add yeast or use raw cider? I always just do mine with raw cider or yeast I catch myself in the air or off the fruits I add (I made a nice elderberry cider a few years ago).

I use an organic cider from the health food store and yeast as it's illegal to sell raw, unpasteurized cider in New York State and I don't have any real connection with local orchards that might hook me up. Then I add a white wine/champagne yeast that always leaves the cider with a nice, dry, wine-y body. I also generally add a pound of brown sugar/5 gallons to add potency. Yowza! :shock:

Let it all ferment for about a week or two. When you have ~1.010 SG (or, if you're not using a hydrometer, when the brew stops bubblin') transfer over to a new barrel and let it settle for a few weeks more. The longer, the better, at this point. My favorite way to spice it is with cloves and anise/caraway, but that's all down to personal preference.

Oh, and if you plan on carbonating, corn sugar is the best way to go.

Of course, this is all very general. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask!
"Life is a stupid, meaningless thing that has nothing to teach you." -Slavoj Zizek

Happy Cycler
Amo I need to try your cider!
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Sherbet Head
Oh do you have wooden barrels? That's neat, I just use a glass carboy. I usually use champagne yeast for my country wines/mead's (I like to do a dandelion one and a lilac one every spring) but when I lived in NC I had access to raw cider and we would just initially sit it out in an open mason jar covered with cheese cloth till it started to catch, stirring it every day. Then transferred it over to the carboy for awhile.

I still love fermenting stuff, but I try to limit my alcohol intake on account of I used to be a raging drunk, which is why I make young ciders and meads. I think I'll probably use yeast this year and then after the carboy bottle it in a bailtop with some sorghum syrup for a few days to carbonate it. Sorghum syrup is my new jam.
All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Sherbet Head
rainier wrote:Oh do you have wooden barrels? That's neat, I just use a glass carboy. I usually use champagne yeast for my country wines/mead's (I like to do a dandelion one and a lilac one every spring) but when I lived in NC I had access to raw cider and we would just initially sit it out in an open mason jar covered with cheese cloth till it started to catch, stirring it every day. Then transferred it over to the carboy for awhile.

I still love fermenting stuff, but I try to limit my alcohol intake on account of I used to be a raging drunk, which is why I make young ciders and meads. I think I'll probably use yeast this year and then after the carboy bottle it in a bailtop with some sorghum syrup for a few days to carbonate it. Sorghum syrup is my new jam.

I wish I had wooden barrels, but I'm using plastic fermenting barrels. I like the idea of old country style gutrot cider, but I'm a student of Chemistry and too much of a lab-ophile to resist the allure of sterile environments and shiny instruments.

fujee wrote:Amo I need to try your cider!

This is my first attempt at making such a large batch, so I have some concerns about how it's going to turn out (unfounded, I'm sure,) but assuming it's okay maybe I'll send a few bottles your way. Official Twoism cider trade. I'll have to look into the laws of international booze-shipping, of course.

Also, might I add that, all other issues notwithstanding, you're a lucky duck to be in the UK and have commercial ciders available to you. All we have in the US is Woodchuck which tastes like apple Kool-aid. :roll:

EDIT: As it turns out, USPS doesn't ship alcohol internationally. If you ever find yourself in the states stop by and you can drink right out of the barrel if you're so inclined :lol:

Dayvan Cowboy
Amo Bishop Roden wrote: As it turns out, USPS doesn't ship alcohol internationally. If you ever find yourself in the states stop by and you can drink right out of the barrel if you're so inclined :lol:

PLEASE
CAN I
PLEASE

Sherbet Head
I wish I had wooden barrels, but I'm using plastic fermenting barrels. I like the idea of old country style gutrot cider, but I'm a student of Chemistry and too much of a lab-ophile to resist the allure of sterile environments and shiny instruments.

You would have loved our distillation room then! That was really only for small amounts of alcohol for tinctures and essential oils though, but we had a sick set up, I loved working in there.

When we made huge batches of alcohol though, aka moonshine, we had the most gerryrigged setup ever and I was always like "um, couldn't this blow up extremely easy?" And the guy who ran the place was like "not if you're careful!". Not very reassuring.

Sherbet Head
First time being REALLY drunk ion a long timwe! I feel like I'm slowly losiong my mind and its amazing!

Happy Cycler
Drank muchos of my local brewery's produce tonight. Brown ale, light ale, pale ale. Bloody terrific. Im pissed and I love beer and twoism. Peace.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Sherbet Head
Not drunk, but cheers :) you sound happy

Dayvan Cowboy
hey hey heyrrrrrrrrrrrrr
it's thursday and it's agood day!
VINYL REISSUES COME INT TOMORROW AND IT'S GONA BE A BETTER DAY!!!
CAR FINALLY BACK FROM SHOP
HOPEFULYL WON'T HAVE to sink 500 dollahs mo,re into it.. 500 a month ain't good for a car, no sir

damn i'm gonn adelete this when i find it later!

CHEERS, EVERYONE. LET'S SAFELY AND DRUNKLY RING IN 2014...RIGHT NOW.
PLEASE LISTEN TO MY QUEER ELECTRONIC POP MUSIC: 2020k.Bandcamp |Twenty20k.com

I say old boy, well said. 8)

Slow down...

Eagle Minded
What?! This thread haven't been active for a while! That's not a good sign...

Happy Cycler
I've definitely been very merry thus far in 2014. Here here :D

Eagle Minded
Here, here! Here again.

Happy Cycler
Im drunk. Right now. How embarassing haha! 8)

Posts Quantity
I dranked. Wish I could meet some a you cool cats. Milwaukee is cold and shitty

Happy Cycler
Drank a whole bottle of red tonight, now I am pretty wasted.

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground