Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.
Post a reply

Cat or dog person?

Cat
61%
Dog
33%
Neither
6%

Total votes : 51

Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:49 pm

Dogs dogs dogs, dogs freakin' rock! We've got a bassett hound and it's gorgeous!

Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:40 pm

Dogs.

Nuthin beats an Alaskan Malamute.

Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:02 pm

Scenario 1: In the house with your pet dog and have a heart attack. Dog tries to alert the neigbours.

Scenario 2: In the house with your pet cat and have a heart attack. Cat leaves you a week then eats your face.

That's all I'm sayin'.

Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:57 am

Magic Brenda wrote:Scenario 1: In the house with your pet dog and have a heart attack. Dog tries to alert the neigbours.

Scenario 2: In the house with your pet cat and have a heart attack. Cat leaves you a week then eats your face.

That's all I'm sayin'.

Hmmm, I guess that's exactly why I don't like dogs. Their humble attitude. The fact that they cannot function without their boss irritates me. They completely gave up there heritage (wolf), and form theirselves to their boss. The best thing of a cat is, that they do not shift into such a beeing, but stay themselves whatever the circumstances.
The other thing that bugs me with dogs, is that they force themselves to me, neglecting my personal space. Dogs do nog sense that I hate that, and that it makes me angry. This behaviour doesn't occur with cats.
And hey, most dogs smell awfull. The second I step into a house, I can tell that the people living there own a dog or not, just by the fume.

I guess it all comes down to what we need in a pet. I need an independent cat, but someone else need a dependent dog. Let's celibrate the differences! 8)

Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:16 pm

i feel like nobody has yet to mention in this thread that most of the thoughts offered on animals outside of "i don't like the way they smell" are kind of silly.

Like, here, earthbound I'm not trying to pick on you, but i've heard people say dogs are humble before - i've met dogs that are anything but humble and subservient, without being chaotic and yappy either. but moreover, they gave up their heritage? isn't that kind of anthropomorphizing the situation? they were bred from wolves by humans, yeah... but this isn't Disney's Balto or anything, they didn't decide "we will come in from the noble wilderness and serve man." it started out as simple human-animal friendship. if anything, blame the practice of selective breeding which is slowly eroding the hardiness of their DNA pool.

and extend that to cats as well, as we've done the same there in more recent years. and people mention cats being aloof and hateful in their experience and that's fair when it obtains, but i have a cat who is as friendly and affectionate as you can imagine, he loves nothing more than rubbing up against people, seeing what they are doing, begging for food at the table and being held by them. when you pet him long enough he stretches up and tries to lick you all over in return. add to the shame, he's a pitiful hunter and can't jump or balance himself for beans. he's not a "cat's cat" and i love him dearly anyway.

i guess my point is all this stuff is valid conversationally and i hear it all the time but none of it is necessarily true of either animal. they're just animals, they can be as different individually as humans can. dogs and cats can both be tremendously intelligent, independent, loving creatures.

Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:28 pm

turquoise70 wrote:i feel like nobody has yet to mention in this thread that most of the thoughts offered on animals outside of "i don't like the way they smell" are kind of silly.

Like, here, earthbound I'm not trying to pick on you, but i've heard people say dogs are humble before - i've met dogs that are anything but humble and subservient, without being chaotic and yappy either. but moreover, they gave up their heritage? isn't that kind of anthropomorphizing the situation? they were bred from wolves by humans, yeah... but this isn't Disney's Balto or anything, they didn't decide "we will come in from the noble wilderness and serve man." it started out as simple human-animal friendship. if anything, blame the practice of selective breeding which is slowly eroding the hardiness of their DNA pool.

and extend that to cats as well, as we've done the same there in more recent years. and people mention cats being aloof and hateful in their experience and that's fair when it obtains, but i have a cat who is as friendly and affectionate as you can imagine, he loves nothing more than rubbing up against people, seeing what they are doing, begging for food at the table and being held by them. when you pet him long enough he stretches up and tries to lick you all over in return. add to the shame, he's a pitiful hunter and can't jump or balance himself for beans. he's not a "cat's cat" and i love him dearly anyway.

i guess my point is all this stuff is valid conversationally and i hear it all the time but none of it is necessarily true of either animal. they're just animals, they can be as different individually as humans can. dogs and cats can both be tremendously intelligent, independent, loving creatures.
Leaves with tail between legs ;(......................................................sticks head around corner DOGS STINK WHEN WET!! then does a runner....................................... :arrow:

Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:01 pm

turquoise70 wrote:i feel like nobody has yet to mention in this thread that most of the thoughts offered on animals outside of "i don't like the way they smell" are kind of silly.

Well Turquoise, I see your point. But I also feel you're making a too big deal out of it. I just ventilated my opinion, no more. And to make my point I might have exaggerated a bit. Sorry man :wink: .Of course there are dogs who don't fit in my description, or cats for that matter. But I wasn't talking about the 'special cases'. Sure, men are part of dogs becoming like this. I even think that dogs (even puppy's) cannot survive in the wilderness with this eroded DNA. And that's why dogs don't do it for me. It's just like, a flavour I don't like, nothing more. Even when cats become as familiar with people as you describe they can survive without men. That's a fact. The city Rotterdam has over 100.000 cats without a home (that's becoming a huge problem by the way). I like the fact that cats can survive without men, but can just as easy become friends with men.

Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:03 pm

Magic Brenda wrote:Scenario 1: In the house with your pet dog and have a heart attack. Dog tries to alert the neigbours.

That's all I'm sayin'.

lol.[/quote]

Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:18 pm

Earthbound wrote:I even think that dogs (even puppy's) cannot survive in the wilderness with this eroded DNA.

Actually my point about their gene pool eroding was in regards to in-breeding making their DNA less stable over time, in other words, if selective human breeding of dogs continues, in a matter of centuries dogs will no longer be able to produce offspring with one another and may go extinct. A friend of mine learned this in her biology course.

In any case I wasn't trying to make a big deal out of it. I just think humans project so much of their own personality, preferences, bents, propensities and feelings onto the world around them that it becomes an unfair portrayal of the animals involved.

Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:22 am

turquoise70 wrote:
Earthbound wrote:I even think that dogs (even puppy's) cannot survive in the wilderness with this eroded DNA.

Actually my point about their gene pool eroding was in regards to in-breeding making their DNA less stable over time, in other words, if selective human breeding of dogs continues, in a matter of centuries dogs will no longer be able to produce offspring with one another and may go extinct. A friend of mine learned this in her biology course.

In any case I wasn't trying to make a big deal out of it. I just think humans project so much of their own personality, preferences, bents, propensities and feelings onto the world around them that it becomes an unfair portrayal of the animals involved.

Yeah, I know what you're saying. That could be a problem in the future. I also think that in time there will be solutions for this problem. Hell, we can even start from scratch, and become friends with wolves again. So no big worries there in my opinion.

I'm curious. In what way you find this unfair to animals? Aren't we all just animals? My point is, that animals too project their own personality, preferences, bents, etc onto the world. Ofcourse in not just such a big way as humans, but they do it too. And I think this is no problem at all. It's just the way we are.

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:44 pm

animals eat their own poop too, it doesn't make it a good idea

Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:50 pm

turquoise70 wrote:animals eat their own poop too, it doesn't make it a good idea
This is true for dogs only..well let me put it this way dogs eat cat poop and cats dont eat dog poop?....any ways i love both all this talk of dna and breeding and ...er hello? tiptoes out of the room...... :arrow:

Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:23 pm

Retrodreaming wrote:
turquoise70 wrote:animals eat their own poop too, it doesn't make it a good idea
This is true for dogs only..well let me put it this way dogs eat cat poop and cats dont eat dog poop?....any ways i love both all this talk of dna and breeding and ...er hello? tiptoes out of the room...... :arrow:

"there is some shit i won't eat" yeahhhhhh... my poop smells better than yours, etc. etc...

i guess my point in this thread is it all comes down to taste and preference and nothing more, no objective standard makes a cat or dog better than the other and all these reasons fall apart, we may as well be sitting around jacking off crosseyed yelling "i like toast" and "no toast sucks", i've always been amazed at how much posturing and chest expanding there is when people talk to each other about if they like dogs or cats more, dogs cats and people all turn into dirt when they're dead

then again i've never understood how someone can be a fan of a sports team or care about the outcome of a sports game either so i'm barely human myself, it's not that the reasons aren't all there, i've heard and understand them for what they are, it's the motivation that's missing, the passion that ignites it all

i'm not saying we can't talk about this or that you guys are wrong for thinking what you do, i'm just saying i don't get why anyone gets excited about their opinion of dogs vs cats or thinks it has any merit in reality, like durr, i like the color of the sky, good for me, you know? you know?

Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:29 pm

turquoise70 wrote:
Retrodreaming wrote:

"there is some shit i won't eat" yeahhhhhh... my poop smells better than yours, etc. etc...

i guess my point in this thread is it all comes down to taste and preference and nothing more, no objective standard makes a cat or dog better than the other and all these reasons fall apart, we may as well be sitting around jacking off crosseyed yelling "i like toast" and "no toast sucks", i've always been amazed at how much posturing and chest expanding there is when people talk to each other about if they like dogs or cats more, dogs cats and people all turn into dirt when they're dead

then again i've never understood how someone can be a fan of a sports team or care about the outcome of a sports game either so i'm barely human myself, it's not that the reasons aren't all there, i've heard and understand them for what they are, it's the motivation that's missing, the passion that ignites it all

i'm not saying we can't talk about this or that you guys are wrong for thinking what you do, i'm just saying i don't get why anyone gets excited about their opinion of dogs vs cats or thinks it has any merit in reality, like durr, i like the color of the sky, good for me, you know? you know?
Ha ha i just love your posts man!! always makes me smile ;) Anyway i could never argue which is better because i love both!! Oh and the sky is red he he he

Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:18 pm

Retrodreaming wrote:Ha ha i just love your posts man!! always makes me smile ;) Anyway i could never argue which is better because i love both!! Oh and the sky is red he he he

:lol: yes indeed cats and dogs are dandy! i don't know if this is asking for trouble but we could start a pets thread here. i'd like to get a pair of rats maybe.

Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:59 am

Yeah, Turq I agreeee.. we should just change this thread to pictures of pets.

A day after I posted those pictures of Bert, I had to put him down. He had a urinary tract infection, and the special food and pills he was prescribed for, didn't work. He got completely blocked up, and the only other option was expensive surgery, which was 50/50 chance of him even coming out of that, and he'd still have the infection for life. :\

Anyway, ended going to the SPCA and adopted a kitten.. she's waaay too cute for her own good..

Image[/img]

Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:13 am

Is that natural lighting?

Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:18 am

Yeah, it's sunshine.

Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:51 am

kittens look best in the sunshine, she is a precious treasure! -gush-

Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:32 am

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawh. That cat is soooo cuuuutezorzzz

This is my mothers cat who sleeps in my bed to. I hope to have one of her kittens this year.

Post a reply