Recommend films/documentaries, etc.

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

I remember it well. I'd listen to him reading the phone book. He used to present Moviedrome after Alex Cox packed it in.

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
I'm going to catch that doc later on iplayer mex.

I've just rewatched a film called The Master last night. Bloody incredible. One of Philip Seymour Hoffman's last, and he is amazing as is the other main. He plays the head of a cult in the 1950s (quite like early scientology), and the whole thing is just completely surreal. Beautifully filmed and written, great soundtrack. It has moments which are quite startling in their immediacy. A rare Hollywood gem really.

Happy Cycler
Yes another excellent PTA film, and another showcase of Jonny Greenwood's scoring talents.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Dayvan Cowboy
fujee wrote:Yes another excellent PTA film, and another showcase of Jonny Greenwood's scoring talents.

Yes. Some of my favourite moments in film are when you get a particularly severe and intense character like The Master, who, in a short silence, fills the air with a vaguely foreboding and suffocating fog. You get it a lot in this film.

Here is a perfect example (despite the film not being Tarantino at his best imo): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bBEzI25r2U

Happy Cycler
Joaquin can play a good doggie.

Good doggie, sit.

The Master just has some really interesting and memorable images which I can't really get out of my head. Like Joaquin's character running over that dirt field, or the motorcycle scene.

PTA's framing technique is superb, but ultimately I feel that I left the film a little unsatisfied.
I much preferred his earlier work like Boogie Nights and Punch Drunk Love, or even his most recent picture, Inherent Vice, which I seem to be at odds at with a lot of people.

I think it's one of his best.

Happy Cycler
Also while on The Master, you have Jonny Greenwood's spectacularly eerie and off putting score, as well as the purposely dream like state, with scenes seemingly bleeding into each other, and days and weeks passing at if they're simply slipping away.
It's a masterful film (lel), but with PTA, you're always in the hands of a pro, and the best kind of pro, one with a vision.

Happy Cycler
For me, There Will Be Blood is undoubtedly his best work, immersive mix of expansive, sublime cinematography and that cacophonous score working together. At times it's heavily indebted to Kubrick, but it uses that nod in such a contemporary way. Watching that film, I feel uneasy..but in a good way, much like the experience of listening to some of BoC's more insidious work.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Happy Cycler
There Will Be Blood left me cold, it was very good, but I didn't feel anything once it was finished.

I also need to see it again.

Dayvan Cowboy
I remember thinking that There Will be Blood was incredible for the first half but then my interest slowly drifted towards the end. I should probably watch it again.

I still think his finest film is Magnolia, but then Iove Altman-esque ensemble movies. Standout performances from everyone in that one. Even Tom Cruise. ;-)

Happy Cycler
Yeah definitely, Magnolia is a very good film. I can see where you're coming from with the second half of TWBB, but I think it's not necessarily a dip in quality per se but more a change in style/cinematography. The first half is probably some of the best film produced this century though, incredible stuff.

Happy Cycler
I still need to see Magnolia, especially because I'm a big fan of the Altman films I've seen, in particular Nashville, 3 Women and Short Cuts.
I also am intrigued when pictures take that idea of the multiple characters connected through various circumstances, It'll be interesting to see what PTA can pull from that particular type of film structure. I've seen it done superbly (in the aforementioned masterpiece, Nashville), and I've also witnessed an absolute failure of the form in Crash, the best picture winner of 2005.

That movie sucked.

Speaking of films that suck, one that doesn't, is My Dinner With Andre which I watched today. Fantastic picture, heartily recommended to those who enjoy great conversations.

Dayvan Cowboy
Magnolia is amazing, I really like the vibe of the movie.

Oh, and the series I'm really excited about is Narcos;

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2707408/?ref_=nv_sr_1
When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare in the sun

Eagle Minded
I loved inherent vice ... a hollywood film that can be that illogical (or have its own mysterious internal logic) feels exciting

MESHES OF THE AFTERNOON by Maya Deren. I think this is the entire film – 14:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSY0TA-ttMA

Eagle Minded
I know I'm almost a year behind on this, but I finally watched Interstellar last night

As the father of a little girl, it made me cry my eyes out. Beautiful film.

Dayvan Cowboy
FortonServices wrote:I know I'm almost a year behind on this, but I finally watched Interstellar last night

As the father of a little girl, it made me cry my eyes out. Beautiful film.

Really? I thought it was thin and hamfisted. But maybe my standards are too high idk.

Eagle Minded
I'm thin and eat a lot of ham. Maybe that's why I liked it?

Sherbet Head
jcnporter wrote:Anyone seen I Dream of Wires, a documentary about modular synths?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCyiDaM3boc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icGWQZw5n24

Yes, just recently. Highly recommended.

Dayvan Cowboy
FortonServices wrote:I'm thin and eat a lot of ham. Maybe that's why I liked it?

Haha, perhaps ;)

Dayvan Cowboy

Dayvan Cowboy
Just finished narcos and Mr. Robot. Narcos was really good, but Mr. Robot was on a completely different level.

Best thing I've seen since the first season of True Detective.
When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare in the sun

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground