Recommend films/documentaries, etc.

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
arvy wrote:Just finished Evangelion, man oh man. The most real imagine of end of the world I ever saw. Asuka!

Ha brilliant!! Got the blu-ray of the series and EoE a few weeks ago. Looking forward to delving into it in the next couple days.
Suspect I'm gonna love it so no spoilers fella. :wink:

(If it was Thursday I'd say Feliz Jueves to you.)

Dayvan Cowboy
Orbited insanitarium wrote:
arvy wrote:Just finished Evangelion, man oh man. The most real imagine of end of the world I ever saw. Asuka!

Ha brilliant!! Got the blu-ray of the series and EoE a few weeks ago. Looking forward to start delving into it in the next couple days.

I would also recommend the "the end of the evangelion after you finish the series

Dayvan Cowboy
arvy wrote:
Orbited insanitarium wrote:

Ha brilliant!! Got the blu-ray of the series and EoE a few weeks ago. Looking forward to start delving into it in the next couple days.

I would also recommend the "the end of the evangelion after you finish the series

Yep, certainly will do. Death/Rebirth & End of Evangelion is on the last couple of discs.
Whether to follow on by watching the rebuild saga is another decision though.

Dayvan Cowboy
phpBB [media]

Dayvan Cowboy
I may have posted this before, but in all the years I've been watching films, I still don't think I've seen opening and closing scenes come close to these two for pure perfection, with music central to both -

phpBB [media]

If you haven't seen Local Hero, don't watch this - watch the film instead. Such a gem of a movie.

phpBB [media]

Dayvan Cowboy
2020k wrote:Is anyone watching Severance on Apple TV? It's right up this forum's alley.

Just watched the first episode of this, looking really good so far. Near/alternative future sci-fi with a modernist aesthetic....could have been written for me!

Boqurant
phpBB [media]

This film reminded me a bit of this forum. I liked it and I would recommend it.
+++++++++++++++++++++
bandcamp

Sherbet Head
Arrested Development (don't bother with the last two seasons) and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (don't bother after 2015) for the people who want funnies

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest for the people who want drama

Courage the Cowardly Dog and Wallace and Gromit for muh nostalgia

Venture Brothers for the people who want something cool and niche to brag about

Catch Me If You Can, Everything Everywhere All At Once and Dead Poet's Society for the feels people

Taxi Driver and Fight Club for the people that like to be mind-fucked

Angel Cop and Genocyber for the disturbed (anime edition)

Dayvan Cowboy
Hang on, I thought we said we wouldn't talk about Fight Club? :wink:

I have times where I imagine the kind of reaction I would get from folks if I was built up like Chief from Cuckoo's Nest. I make no comparison to Jack Nicholson either. I avoid pestering spiteful nursey types about watching the ball game (unlike McMurphy.)

- The Garden (dir. Derek Jarman)
It's a mostly silent film, as in little to no dialogue. The ultra-saturated sets and DIY cine-shots really make up for it though, Lynchian in presentation, not plot.
It also matches up perfectly with any bootleg noise-rock or psychedelic albums, Porcupine Tree x The Garden, och never forget that night... Worth your time!

Sherbet Head
Orbited insanitarium wrote:Hang on, I thought we said we wouldn't talk about Fight Club? :wink:

I have times where I imagine the kind of reaction I would get from folks if I was built up like Chief from Cuckoo's Nest. I make no comparison to Jack Nicholson either. I avoid pestering spiteful nursey types about watching the ball game (unlike McMurphy.)

- The Garden (dir. Derek Jarman)
It's a mostly silent film, as in little to no dialogue. The ultra-saturated sets and DIY cine-shots really make up for it though, Lynchian in presentation, not plot.
It also matches up perfectly with any bootleg noise-rock or psychedelic albums, Porcupine Tree x The Garden, och never forget that night... Worth your time!

Shh... Bob had bitch-tits.......

Dayvan Cowboy
bendu wrote:
phpBB [media]

This film reminded me a bit of this forum. I liked it and I would recommend it.

Oh man, this is so good. I'm a fan of Benson and Moorhead's stuff, this is their best yet.
I got HUGE House of Leaves vibes from it.
If you're waiting/hoping for a House of Leaves TV or film adaptation, I think this is the closest thing currently available to scratch that itch.

Edit - just googled it and apparently they're fans of HoL and it was an indirect inspiration for the movie.

Sherbet Head
Town I live in had a 'Cult Classics' month at the local theater, ended up having the opportunity to see Reservoir Dogs on the big screen with a few friends. Good movie, definitely has stuck with me. When the Mexican stand-off happened, my buddy next to me just goes "this is what I came for". :lol:

Dayvan Cowboy
Surprised The Last of Us hasn't been mentioned yet.
I haven't played the game, but thought the TV adaptation was a great addition to the post-apocalyptic dystopian genre, probably my favourite genre of art. Plenty of nods to The Road as well, my favourite book, which apparently was a big influence.

Can also highly recommend Enemy, starring Jake Gyllenhaal and directed by Denis Villeneuve, a tense and atmospheric mindbender.

Dayvan Cowboy
phpBB [media]

Goosebumps

Sherbet Head
DO NOT GO SEE THE BARBIE MOVIE. FUCK MATTEL AND FUCK WARNER BROS!

bias aside, I didn't hate it but I absolutely did not like it. there was only five minutes of actual 'barbie', the rest was not worth even worth the time and breath and i'm incredibly sad w/ how they handled the whole thing all around.

Spoiler: show
Seeing live-action 'Totally Hair' and 'Peaches n' Cream' Barbie was the best part, I wish they had honed in on the history of barbie instead of circle-jerking modern barbie and "what it does"
(not)

Dayvan Cowboy
Dune, part two

Go see it, in iMax, with a huge audio system, this is not the time to be a penny pincher, not everyday do you get a SciFi blockbuster which is also a cinematic, audio, convincing masterpiece.

Should please the popcorn crowd as well as the nerdy one.
Molest me not with this pocket calculator stuff.

Dayvan Cowboy
As a not Dune fan, I still enjoyed the second part. The last duel with Duke's Feyd-Rautha was amazing.

Sherbet Head
3 BODY PROBLEM on Netflix. I haven't read the book or seen the other adaptations, but I'm really impressed with this. If you like dark sci-fi, it's definitely worth a look.

Sherbet Head
I saw Midsommar yesterday, good good film. Explored the aspects of cults and 'how people end up there', especially tribalism and how it affects our brains. Some parts were muh edgy but overall enjoyed it, one of those ones I was still thinking about it hours after watching. I would fucking fall for it is the worst part Lol

Eagle Minded
steeldancer-x wrote:I saw Midsommar yesterday, good good film. Explored the aspects of cults and 'how people end up there', especially tribalism and how it affects our brains. Some parts were muh edgy but overall enjoyed it, one of those ones I was still thinking about it hours after watching. I would fucking fall for it is the worst part Lol

That was my response as well lol. I thought, "hmm, seemingly wholesome egalitarian culture, nice people, beautiful scenic landscape, psychedelic mushrooms... oh no I'm a part of this cult."

Plus the music in the film is stunning. Especially cool that some of the music (being played by the people of the cult) is performed live during filming.

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground