Recommend films/documentaries, etc.

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
There it is, I couldn't remember the name. Thanks Mexi!

Happy Cycler
Haven't seen Sexy Beast, but I'm a big fan of the director's work in Under the Skin, so that's definitely on my list to check out.

Given my previous mention of Mean Streets, I can tell you that I'm a huge fan of Goodfellas. That film is 2 and a half hours but with absolutely no fat, and stellar performances through out.

Searching my personal knowledge for mafia films has come up mostly blank. I can't give you much in the way of conventional stuff like Goodfellas/The Departed or The Godfather, just oddball outliers of the genre like The Coen's Miller's Crossing, or the Australian take on the crime drama Animal Kingdom. Both great films

I know a few yakuza films too, which are kinda like mafia.
Like Seijun Suzuki's Tokyo Drifter, Sion Sono's Why Don't You Play in Hell, or Takashi Miike's Ichi the Killer.

Be warned about the last two, they're quite violent.

Eagle Minded
Cheers man, I'll look into those. ✔️Sexy Beast sometime, super cool flick.

Anything by Takashi Miike is worth checking out for sure.

In a totally different theme, I just re-watched Breaker Morant for the first time in about 20+ years. Jesus, I'd forgotten how incredible it is. The end scene, wow, lump in the throat...

Slow down...

Eagle Minded
I watched Kings Of Summer last night. It was a really good "coming-of-age" sort of film, along the lines of Stand By Me. But it also had some hilarious one-liners, particularly from Nick Offerman.

It's the kind of film I'd describe in conversation as "a nice little film".

Sherbet Head
Just finished "The Institute", a doc from 2013. It's about an elaborate alternate reality game staged by an artist collective in San Francisco. It's pretty amazing how much work went into it and the profound effects it had on the people who became "players". Most were never sure where the game ended and where reality began. Recommended.

Dayvan Cowboy
The Duke of Burgundy

WOW

Happy Cycler
pointlessdude wrote:Werckmeister Harmonies (2000)

http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/3468265/

Beautiful movie.

I cannot recommend this enough, Béla Tarr is incredible.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Eagle Minded
Lens Larque wrote:The Duke of Burgundy

WOW

That's by the same guy that did Berberian Sound Studio, right? I need to get on that.

Dayvan Cowboy
Its so surreal.

Eagle Minded
Just watched Gone Girl. I read the book about a year ago and I loved it, but the film was not at all what I expected. It was so shocking and super intense. I thought they did a pretty good job turning the book into a film.

I also re-watched The Wind Rises with my family and we all were crying by the end. Incredible film

Dayvan Cowboy
one of the interesting analysis of Mulholland Drive

phpBB [media]

Posts Quantity
The Suicide Virgines, truly beautiful adaption, with a good cast and a feeling that you won't forget, and also something to think about
All which makes me anxious
At times unbearably so

Eagle Minded
The Virgin Suicides is one of my all-time favourite books, films, and soundtracks. It's perfect in every way.

Friendly Stranger
These are all related to electronic music and are either some sort of documentary or movie:

Groove

Modulations: Cinema for the Ear

Better Living Through Circuitry

It's All Gone Pete Tong

Sherbet Head
volterock wrote:These are all related to electronic music and are either some sort of documentary or movie:

Groove

Modulations: Cinema for the Ear

Better Living Through Circuitry

It's All Gone Pete Tong

For this, you get "the nod"... :wink:

Eagle Minded
FortonServices wrote:The Virgin Suicides is one of my all-time favourite books, films, and soundtracks. It's perfect in every way.

I saw it in a bookstore a couple years ago and I bought it. I've heard so many good things about it, I think it's high time i start reading it...

Eagle Minded
Headphase wrote:
FortonServices wrote:The Virgin Suicides is one of my all-time favourite books, films, and soundtracks. It's perfect in every way.

I saw it in a bookstore a couple years ago and I bought it. I've heard so many good things about it, I think it's high time i start reading it...

Yeah, especially since it's summer. It really adds to the washed-out 70's vibe.

Check out the film and soundtracks too. Both the score by Air, and the selection of great 70's songs they use.

Seek out 'Storyville: Atomic, Living in Dread and Promise' on BBC iPlayer at the moment.

Directed by Mark Cousins, original music by Mogwai it charts the atomic age, via an impressionistic kaleidoscope of archive footage. The Cold War, Chernobyl, protest marches, atomic testing.

Beautiful and chilling. Highly recommended.

Slow down...

Happy Cycler
Yeah, I've been watching it, fantastic stuff. Mark Cousins also did this great series about the history of film, cannot recommend enough!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Story ... An_Odyssey
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground