10. Palace Posy (4:05)

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
Kind of sounds like it's saying "bff". Maybe they want to be buds.
All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Posts Quantity
I hear "Be yourself/Be yourself/Be yourself" at the beginning of the vocal, but in an African accent.

Eagle Minded
d e n wrote:
Opothecary wrote:People today are so greedy and want instant gratification. Can't people wait a week for the album in high quality instead of going against BoC's wishes and sabotaging the possibility of future events in the process?

thank you. there is much rhetoric and justifications for downloading the music before the band releases it. so lame.

I would normally agree with you and maybe this is just more rhetoric to you, but I'm pretty sure the band knows that in this day and age, people have the capabilities of recording the live stream listening event. I would like to think that it's a nod to the true fans here on Twoism, who discretely share and talk vehemently amongst ourselves about the band we love, knowing that we all have pre-ordered the vinyl, cd's or digital downloads... some of us all 3. I think the brothers know what they're doing. Just my opinion.
:INDIFFERENT SPACES:
all albums [IS1-IS13] available here:
http://indifferentspaces.bandcamp.com

Friendly Stranger
You just cannot match the musical experience of the climax of a song completely justifying the weird/discomforting build-up to it. It's the same on Palace Posy and New Seeds. You've got 3/4 of the song just being awkward and rambling, then some element comes in to completely makes sense of it all.

Such a reward.

Eagle Minded
Sounds like the voice is saying "be a dancer"

Sherbet Head
Someone should make an extended version of this with the vocals bit repeated a few more times :D

Boqurant
To me is sounds like "Be Yourself" or "Universe"
http://www.expresoritmico.com Cuban album design of the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's.

Friendly Stranger
PlacentaSand wrote:Sounds like the voice is saying "be a dancer"

Sherbet Head
I've given this album a couple of listens now. Initially Palace Posey hit me wrong. I wasn't liking it and then in the middle it changed up enough that it started to reel me back. Anyway I knew I'd have to give it more tries and see where it lands me and like with some of their music it can take repeated listens to get it fully.

Overall I'm also getting some early 70's composers Jarre and Tangerine Dream hints. (which also ties into the john carpenter thing) but I hear it less menacing than he. But on Palace Posey I'm also hearing a bit of laurie anderson. I'm not saying any of this intentional on the bands part at all I think it's actually more incidental than one might think but I love hearing it none the less. I think Palace Posey is going to be one of those songs that hooks new listeners for better or worse.

Eagle Minded
Just to say, I completely hear where a few others are coming from about this sounding like something straight out of the Old Tunes days - in the context of the album it is a real surprise - maybe the odd one out - but it is FUN!

From being deep in the paranoia of Collapse to suddenly be jolted right out of it, as if taken to a different scene for a bit of an excursion - literally creating a break.

The later portion of the track, especially with those quirky chopped-up, ethnic sounding vocal chants, is the highlight - but almost goes without saying, despite the unexpected & quirky move in context, the whole piece really does feel like a tune with old BOC prints over it.

Sherbet Head
Yeah I love that the drums at the beginning are kind of tribal and then the chanting has a west african music vibe. So many of the songs have such a distressing wasteland vibe of like depleted earth/communities but this one makes me picture a remote community that's untouched and still thriving.

I am a huge fan of old tunes and this definitely reminds me of them.

I think this quote from Mike sums up what really compels me about this track. It's the classic "boctease"

"I think the way we work is so much more orchestrated, so that you can hear something that just happens, and you want it to carry on because it’s so tantalizing, and you want to hear it again and again. We both understand the principle that if you put something beautiful into a piece of music just once, it makes people put the record back on because they want to hear it again."
All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Friendly Stranger
Not sure if anyone else has noted this, but "Palace Posy" is an anagram of "Apocalypse".

Eagle Minded
Interesting thought!

SneakyTT wrote:Not sure if anyone else has noted this, but "Palace Posy" is an anagram of "Apocalypse".

http://bocpages.org/wiki/Palace_Posy#Comments

Sherbet Head
SneakyTT wrote:Not sure if anyone else has noted this, but "Palace Posy" is an anagram of "Apocalypse".

there ya go! Really doubt it's just a coincidence, but if it was I'd be hella impressed by their subconscious minds.

Posts Quantity
rainier wrote:I think this quote from Mike sums up what really compels me about this track. It's the classic "boctease"

"I think the way we work is so much more orchestrated, so that you can hear something that just happens, and you want it to carry on because it’s so tantalizing, and you want to hear it again and again. We both understand the principle that if you put something beautiful into a piece of music just once, it makes people put the record back on because they want to hear it again."

that's a nice quote. reminds me of one of my favorite b.o.c. moments: the drum fill at 1:46 of the "poppy seed" remix, which only occurs once in the track.

Eagle Minded

That's incredible and undoubtedly intentional.

This track is one of my favorites. It immediately reminded me of the Ancient Cistern temple from Skyward Sword for some reason. I think it's the fact that it's both stately and organic sounding. To me it just sounds exactly like how this picture looks.

One small step for man, one giant leap for Wagon Christ.

Sherbet Head

How the hell has this not been spotted already? Good find!

Sherbet Head
MindElevation wrote:

How the hell has this not been spotted already? Good find!

yea can't believe i missed it, i went looking up the palace posy name last week there, looking at the word, never even thought. i ended up looking at some palace place in San Francisco, flowers for the dead etc

they're mad!

ah see what i did there, palaceplace :/

Boqurant

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada