[FAKE] Whitney Houston - How Will I Know (Hell Interface)

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

New Seed
If this is really fake then I can't help it but find it hilarious how a fake like this managed to sound more convincing and genuine than BoC's latest actual album.

Dayvan Cowboy
brightfan wrote:If this is really fake then I can't help it but find it hilarious how a fake like this managed to sound more convincing and genuine than BoC's latest actual album.

Thanks for registering to let us know that.

New Seed
Opothecary wrote:
brightfan wrote:If this is really fake then I can't help it but find it hilarious how a fake like this managed to sound more convincing and genuine than BoC's latest actual album.

Thanks for registering to let us know that.

Been lurking the forum casually on and off for a couple of years now, decided to throw this account just now to share my thoughts on the subject.

To elaborate on my earlier statement: High production like the one present on Tomorrow's Harvest doesn't really suit BoC or their established signature sound, besides fresh new artists like VHS Head seem to handle this whole VHS nostalgia/tribute thing better than BoC did with their latest album (in my opinion). I don't disrespect BoC and am happy for them if that is the route they feel best with, just saying that this fake indeed does sound more realistically BoC-ish than most of Tomorrow's Harvest did, it's not an artistic evolution thing either. So yeah, congrats to whoever made this fake and actually tried his best to make it convincing by mimicking the production quality of BoC's earliest known releases.

I'm going meta here so I'll stop now.

Eagle Minded
brightfan wrote:besides fresh new artists like VHS Head seem to handle this whole VHS nostalgia/tribute thing better than BoC did with their latest album (in my opinion).
But according to Boards' own words, being retro has never been their aim or a frame to stick to. So I think "nostalgia/tribute thing" doesn't suit them. Other than that, I agree about the plastic production. I'm okay with it, but I've been wondering if it will start sounding annoyingly cheap in my head later on.

And to add, I don't think 'retro' even suits Boards, but I might be biased because that word means so degenerate things to me.
I Might Be Wrong

Dayvan Cowboy
Fredd-E wrote:
TOYOTAセ&#1 wrote:
Fredd-E wrote:confirmed to be fake

And.... where was this said?
MDG contacted me.

Say it ain't so. Goddamn it. :cry:

Posts Quantity
Basefree wrote:And to add, I don't think 'retro' even suits Boards, but I might be biased because that word means so degenerate things to me.

I agree. Can someone explain to me why people say BoC is "retro"? Their synths sound nothing like the ones you'd hear in the 70s or 80s. Way too smooth, calming, etc. Not sharp and jagged square/triangles like most stuff was.
cool artists: the flaming lips|tame impala|telegraphy|shortwaves|MIWON

Dayvan Cowboy
akrotiri wrote:
Basefree wrote:And to add, I don't think 'retro' even suits Boards, but I might be biased because that word means so degenerate things to me.

I agree. Can someone explain to me why people say BoC is "retro"? Their synths sound nothing like the ones you'd hear in the 70s or 80s. Way too smooth, calming, etc. Not sharp and jagged square/triangles like most stuff was.

I think the best way to describe what they do, especially early in their career, was to use synths the way other instruments were used in the 70s, so you get the mellow/warm sound of that era, but using an instrument that while it existed back then, didn't quite sound like that, but has evolved over time to be capable of fitting in better with the sound of that time period, if that makes sense.

So to me, it's fair to say it's retro by means of newer technology. Of course the artwork/video they utilized went a long way toward cementing their retro status. We can't forget the intangible - the secret sauce that seems to be able to so effectively evoke nostalgia in people for different reasons.

With TCH and the addition of guitars to the mix, they kept that sort of sound, but started using instrumentation that fit in with that time period better, maybe that's why some people weren't feeling it - it sounded like regular mellow 70s music at times.

Now that TH has come along, it really is a little more truly retro, but from a slightly later era and it might not do much for certain fans. It sounds like early 80s soundtrack music.

I think maybe with the last 2 releases (I like TCH and love TH) is that the nostalgic aspect is a lot more specific than it used to be, so maybe it's not as relatable for everyone.

There was a universality to what they were doing early in their career, especially in their material from 1995-2000 or so. The songs could mean different things to different people but the consensus seemed to be that they were touching on something that felt very special - "the feels" and all that.

I think starting with Geogaddi their full lengths have all been very concept oriented and from interviews it sounds like there is a lot of babies being thrown out with the bathwater when they come up with a tune that doesn't seem to match what they are going for. If the concept in question isn't relevant to you, maybe the album won't do much for you. I'd like them to not overthink their next album and go with instinct and come up with a group of songs that just hang well together without any sort of underlying narrative.

Honestly having been following them for 15 years, every release since and including Geogaddi has been subject to sniping from people who didn't feel the latest and greatest fit into their view of how they are "supposed" to sound. I think some people just want them to press a MHTRTC or Geogaddi soundalike button in their studio over and over again.

Dayvan Cowboy
Jeez, looks like I missed a whole tea party. Thank god it's fake - it sounds gash. :P

Dayvan Cowboy
ha ha ha...just listened to it. weak sauce. love the shitty synths. HA HA HA HA
the whiney bit when she starts sing how will know if so shite.....nice bassline too [to the artist] junk.

Sherbet Head
Techboy wrote:Jeez, looks like I missed a whole tea party. Thank god it's fake - it sounds gash. :P

haha, bit relieved myself. Was thinking how the bros decide to put this on a tape with Midas Touch (because I absolutely love that track). I never was convinced it was real, but I did think maybe it was them messing about, but to put it to tape with Midas seemed odd, to me.

I'm not really disappointed about all this just kind of falling apart. We had no real evidence and it just doesn't seem like the right time after all that has happened past few months.

I do hope we do see the early tunes but this way of promoting it, seemed messy and very unimaginative for BoC

Hexagon Sun Official
Just to confirm what Fredd-E has already told you guys, this is a fake

Shot dead with a silver bullet to the heart.
Cheers MDG 8)

Slow down...

Posts Quantity
mdg wrote:Just to confirm what Fredd-E has already told you guys, this is a fake

thanks again

Happy Cycler
and there was me thinking, am I the only one who cares not for this track?

thank god it's fake :lol:
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

New Seed
With that out of the way, does that mean the releases BoC mentioned in that magazine were made-up after all? Seagy Eyeball - Tenmen, Magic Teens - Gold and Geranium, the actual Hell Interface mix, etc.

Dayvan Cowboy
mdg wrote:Just to confirm what Fredd-E has already told you guys, this is a fake

As others have said, thanks for setting the record straight, I'm sure it's tiring to have to debunk the monthly fake or hoax around here time after time.

I do have to give the creator recognition for a job well done, this is the first time that I've ever been convinced by a fake.

New Seed
akrotiri wrote:Their synths sound nothing like the ones you'd hear in the 70s or 80s. Way too smooth, calming, etc. Not sharp and jagged square/triangles like most stuff was.

Look for the stuff that personally influenced them.

Sherbet Head
It's the most imaginative fake I've been around for.
It wasn't just a case of somebody uploading various tracks of other people claiming it to be an album leak.

I still don't approve of fakers, but a certain amount of kudos due on this one. lol at those who say they knew it was a fake all along after it's been revealed so.

Thank you, MDG! Updated the blog post.
PLEASE LISTEN TO MY QUEER ELECTRONIC POP MUSIC: 2020k.Bandcamp |Twenty20k.com

Sherbet Head

Nice to see you around again...

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada