How to make your own Old Tunes cassettes (with covers)

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

New Seed
So I just fixed my grandmothers old BeoCord 2000 Cassette Deck and got the idea of making my own Boards of Canada cassettes and sharing it with everyone on the internet :D Ready Let's Go!

Step 1: Sunshine Recorder
Ofcourse you're going to need a decent device to record your cassettes with. As mentioned before I used the BeoCord 2000 but any stereo recorder with dolby A or B noise reduction should be fine. You're also going to need some tapes. Tapes used to come in all sorts of qualities, but these days you'll just have to do with what is available in your local electronics store. For me the Maxell UR 90's were the only option but luckily they sound awesome :P

Step 2: In A Beautiful Place Out In The Country
The Boards of Canada cassettes can be downloaded from most torrent sites, the quality isn't always great but after a bit of searching you're sure to find some good quality files. I'd link you the files but I dont think i'm allowed to link to illegal files on this forum, Google is your best friend in this case.

Step 3: The Devil Is In The Details
You're all set to start recording now, but wait! Before you press that record button, always make sure your noise reduction switch is set to ON. Also check that the recording level isn't set too high so that you won't get any distortion.
After checking all this you can start recording. While you're recording you can start with step 4.

Step 4: Triangles And Rhombuses
While we're recording the music we can start working on the more visual aspect of this project. I took a whole bunch of foto's and scans of the inlays and made a cover as close to the original as possible for both albums. Print the covers, cut them to the correct shape and size and fold them so that they fit into the case nice and snuggly. For those of you that use A4 sized paper I have .docx files that you can print that have the correct size. Just print them and cut them along the edges. For those of you with different sized paper I have the same image but you'll just have to figure out the sizes yourself, sorry :(
(P.S. I'm sorry the images are so big but i didn't want to compress them too much and lose quality)

A Few Old Tunes document: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=22083554609667152380
A Few Old Tunes image: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=53900533969071855424
Old Tunes Vol.2 document: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=08253388108264540843
Old Tunes Vol.2 image: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=75390713023599915178

Step 5: A Is To B As B Is To C
Fill in the little cassette labels, put the cover and insert in the case and you're done! Flip that cassette and start playing, Enjoy!

Last edited by WhistlingMonkeh on Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Boqurant
should also be called "how to make fake copies XD jk thanks might make a r35tt soon
seeya

New Seed
orion wrote:should also be called "how to make fake copies XD jk thanks might make a r35tt soon

That would be a better description :oops:

Sherbet Head
How to make your own A Few Old Tunes cassette:

1. Download A Few Old Tunes
2. Put it on cassette

Dayvan Cowboy
GH wrote:How to make your own A Few Old Tunes cassette:

1. Download A Few Old Tunes
2. Put it on cassette

but that's too siiiiiiiimple!! (heh)

props to the OP, though, for taking the time to figure this out!
Valotonin wrote:Celebrate collapse because it will be beautiful x

Dayvan Cowboy

Posts Quantity
Tune in next week and we'll show you how to make your very own fake copy of the Mona Lisa using a printer, a computer, and some expensive paper!

Eagle Minded
WeHadNormality wrote:Image

lol was thinking the same thing.

Next week can we have BoC Kaleidoscope out of an old kitchen roll, beads, glitter, sticky back plastic and satans toenail clippings.

In all seriousness though, good effort and first post, wish i had the time to make my own :D
We had a dream last night. We had the same dream.

Sherbet Head
Thanks for the fun and descriptive walkthrough. The next best thing to having the real thing is fooling your mind into believing (if even for a moment) that you actually do have the real thing...

(This isn't sarcastic. Some of us aren't assholes.)
ImageImage

Sherbet Head
Yellow Records wrote:
(This isn't sarcastic. Some of us aren't assholes.)

My post was sarcastic.

Yup. Asshole over here. While you're fooling your mind about owning a genuine Old Tunes cassette, I'm probably trying to fool my mind into thinking that I'm not an asshole. And failing.

Dayvan Cowboy
Pretty cool ideas for a first post! Welcome :D

Sherbet Head
Waterbagel wrote:Pretty cool ideas for a first post! Welcome :D

very positive your message, great man!

Friendly Stranger
Made a Boc Maxima one:

I also made The Campfire Headphase, Music has the Right to Children, Tomorrow's Harvest, and soon, Geogaddi.

Sherbet Head
rushfan82 wrote:Made a Boc Maxima one:

I also made The Campfire Headphase, Music has the Right to Children, Tomorrow's Harvest, and soon, Geogaddi.

hahaha, good pirate's work.. :lol:

New Seed
Don't use torrents, rareboc.ax.lt has the highest quality rips.

Boqurant
Biggest problem with this thread is it basically just basically says "record." You're missing the huge question newbies don't know: how? I don't have any idea how you record something off of your PC on to a cassette. Yeah, I'd Google it, but since the rest of the tutorial is basically just print out the covers, there should be more listed :) I'd assume you want us to just hold the tape deck microphone up to the PC speakers and record it that way :lol:

Sherbet Head
Smile wrote:Don't use torrents, rareboc.ax.lt has the highest quality rips.

good advice

New Seed
who else has done this?

Posts Quantity
rushfan82 wrote:Made a Boc Maxima one:

I'm loving the tartan too :P
Saw a blind man walking down the street
Greets every person he chanced to meet
Saw a cop write a ticket to a man over fifty
Fell over laughing screaming he was a hippie
Ran into a granny had a smile on her face
Broke a trophy she just won in a race

Don't worry about the future
Forget about the past
Whether it's good or bad
It's a gas

Return to Boards of Canada