How do you keep up with new music?

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
I drunkenly deleted myself from all social media last night. Help.

Happy Cycler
Ha! I'm nowhere near as clued up on new music as I used to be, but...

Right here
thequietus.com
BBC Radio 6 Music
The Guardian

Dayvan Cowboy
Elephant Face wrote:I drunkenly deleted myself from all social media last night. Help.

Good for you! Welcome to a purer, more engaged state of existence.

I find most of the stuff I listen to via Twoism, /r/cassetteculture, last.fm tags, the RYM music board and assorted YouTube channels.
Valotonin wrote:Celebrate collapse because it will be beautiful x

Sherbet Head
In truth: I don't. I go through phases of swapping music with mates, everynow and then. But more often than not it's something old that I haven't yet checked out.

New stuff finds me maybe 5/6-years after its release. I usually find that if something's 'my thing', I'll keep coming into contact with references to it here and there in daily life until I finally believe enough that it's something I should check out.

...I realise I could be missing out on a lot like this, but right now (with no $$$ for new records) that's fine-by-me.

Posts Quantity
i have a playlist with various internet radio stations and switch between stations depending on the mood.

i keep notepad open and jott down songs that i enjoy line-for-line. recently, i have setup a private wikidot for keeping track of all the songs i enjoy. the consolidated 'to-acquire' tracklist wiki is accessible from anywhere with an internet connection.

the above method is a passive approach to finding music, but streamlines the process.
you may think that you have not been programmed, but you have.

Sherbet Head
Mostly interviews of my favorite artists where they list their favorite releases. Or mixes from them, from there I go to shazam or whatever and boom - new, good pumping sound.
Oh and Last.fm - their similar artists page isn't very good but if you go for one song and go from there you can actually find quite some obscure and good shit..
:)

Posts Quantity
i am friends with a few music snobs so they keep me somewhat up to date haha. besides that i see some new music posted by people i follow on tumblr (though that is social media)
i used to listen to last.fm and spotify a lot though and it did help me broaden my taste. also sometimes youtube can be useful, linking to similar videos and stuff. or if i'm watching music videos sometimes i'll check out whoever uploaded it and sometimes they'll have other good stuff.

Dayvan Cowboy
pianoforte wrote:
Elephant Face wrote:I drunkenly deleted myself from all social media last night. Help.

I find most of the stuff I listen to via Twoism, /r/cassetteculture, last.fm tags, the RYM music board and assorted YouTube channels.

forums, reddit, last.fm and youtube are all social networks! that's the cost of modern life :D at least you don't HAVE to sign up to "consume" to be fair.

i tend to hear of new music either through listening to the radio at work, or as everyone else has said, right here! plus i have some friends who are into cool shit.

Boqurant
Anthony Fantano is a pretty good curator.

https://www.youtube.com/user/theneedledrop
If you don't have the dik sometime, then the art is not about human race. Then is not art. This my theory.

http://instagram.com/jamesyboyyyy

Eagle Minded
Thanks everyone for the replies and suggestions.

Snufkin - I feel you on one level, but I like to stay current because knowing about artists that are newer/current gives me a chance to see more live music since they're more likely to be touring. And also, finding new music live, via the two/three/four acts playing with an artist on any given night.

Powershoes - I'm a note-taking fool. My desk is covered in post-its and I carry around a little book in my back pocket for that purpose a lot of the time. I use Spotify radio and occasionally the Beats Music 'Sentence' to find artists or tracks, but that's mostly for older stuff I'd never find any other way.

The main thing I'm missing now is having all of my favorite artists, record labels, and music-related sites showing up in my Twitter and Facebook feeds.[/b]

Eagle Minded
Techboy wrote:
pianoforte wrote:

forums, reddit, last.fm and youtube are all social networks! that's the cost of modern life :D at least you don't HAVE to sign up to "consume" to be fair.

i tend to hear of new music either through listening to the radio at work, or as everyone else has said, right here! plus i have some friends who are into cool shit.

Reddit was actually part of this self-imposed severance. I spent entirely too much time on there as well.

Boqurant
I don't... I am currently lost in a spotify bubble :D

Posts Quantity
I go on the 4chan music boards' sharethreads to find a few new releases, there's often good stuff being posted there, often times they're made with a 2014 theme as well.
Also, Pitchfork can be a good place to find out about new artists, The Guardian is often a little slow on things but it can also be good.
I also check the Warp and Apollo sites every so often to see who they're promoting.
Be music friends: http://last.fm/user/will-neill
Be friends with my music: http://willneill.bandcamp.com/

Sherbet Head
pandora is where i find artists that ive never heard before.

as far as new music from people you already know. its tough to stay on top of new stuff. try joining mailing lists for artists that you like.

Happy Cycler
Probably will get me thrown out, but Pitchfork.
Sure, shit on their reviews, but they keep me up to date with their news section.

Also liking artists on Facebook keeps me up to date, as well as RYM, last.fm and forums, as people have said.

I'll also second Anthony Fantano, who's name is probably a curse on these winds after his BoC review. I just go to him for opinions and stuff I've never heard before, I don't go to him to stroke my ego and tell me I'm right.

Happy Cycler
pianoforte wrote:

A very pretentious state of existence too it seems.

Not to be a dick, of course. :wink:
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Sherbet Head
I'll let you know my everyday method after switching on my laptop :) in no particular order

warp.net
drowned in sound
factmag
resident advisor
pitchfork
southernlord
nme (useless, but it's a habit)
bbc6 website
watmm
bleep
boomkat

I listen to bbc6 music quite a bit during the day when I can, which is really good. I don't do social media but thinking about getting spotify once I update my phone.

Phew!!

Happy Cycler
I'll second the guy who mentioned /mu/. Not only the best board on 4chan but one of the best places for sharing your own music in soundcloud/bandcamp threads. Those guys collect music like an addiction. Some of the most obscure things I've ever heard, I have seen discussed to death there. Discussions like "x part of x Casiotone For The Painfully Alone song reminds me of x". REALLY passionate about it all so people are very, very opinionated. Also far better than any service I have used for recommending something based on what you already like - a 4x4 or a top 50 chart posted in a recommendations thread (which are constantly going) will get you recommended stuff much closer to what you're looking for, in my experience.
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Dayvan Cowboy
Snufkin wrote:In truth: I don't. I go through phases of swapping music with mates, everynow and then. But more often than not it's something old that I haven't yet checked out.

New stuff finds me maybe 5/6-years after its release. I usually find that if something's 'my thing', I'll keep coming into contact with references to it here and there in daily life until I finally believe enough that it's something I should check out.

...I realise I could be missing out on a lot like this, but right now (with no $$$ for new records) that's fine-by-me.

Same here. Still discovering 'old' stuff. Some on here, which is much appreciated.

Posts Quantity
jcnporter wrote:
Snufkin wrote:In truth: I don't. I go through phases of swapping music with mates, everynow and then. But more often than not it's something old that I haven't yet checked out.

Same here. Still discovering 'old' stuff. Some on here, which is much appreciated.

Agreed. I actually don't bother with new music at all. The back catalog of phenomenal music recorded over so many decades is so large that I would never be able to discover even a fraction of what's out there. Once in a while I'll discover an incredible artist of a bygone era which I then spend listening to for months getting through just some of their work.

Return to This Random Sound