This Random Thread

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Happy Cycler
A_Northern_Soul wrote:You know how we're always told to follow our dreams?

I can rarely remember mine, but after last night I *really* want to buy a derelict industrial unit with my mate (who in reality I haven't seen for almost 2 years) & convert it - very quickly, somehow - into a combined artist's studio complex/ gallery/ recording studio/ cafe / photography studio/ bookshop/ record shop called "Greyscale". It was fucking amazing; you'd all love it.

I've always said if I ever won the lottery I would build or buy a huge complex and turn it into a creative commune. You'd have easily enough money for everyone to stay free of charge, you could put on exhibitions, gigs, lectures, screenings etc. As long as everyone was respectful, people could come and go as they please.. it would literally be utopia. Oh to dream.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Happy Cycler
Seriously, you'd love this place.

If we build it, will you all come?

The Hacienda must be built....

Happy Cycler
A_Northern_Soul wrote:Seriously, you'd love this place.

If we build it, will you all come?

The Hacienda must be built....

I'd be there, no doubt about it mate.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Dayvan Cowboy

I can rarely remember mine, but after last night I *really* want to buy a derelict industrial unit with my mate (who in reality I haven't seen for almost 2 years) & convert it - very quickly, somehow - into a combined artist's studio complex/ gallery/ recording studio/ cafe / photography studio/ bookshop/ record shop called "Greyscale". It was fucking amazing; you'd all love it.
look at some of network rail's property :P

Happy Cycler
^ stop tempting me to actually do it! :D

Sherbet Head
A_Northern_Soul wrote:^ stop tempting me to actually do it! :D

do it. make the greyscale happen.. :D

Happy Cycler
This is turning into my Field of Dreams moment. Or Wayne's World 2.

Dayvan Cowboy
Sign me up for this idea. I want to collaborate with other people musically, but in a more free context... I can sort of play my guitar (self-taught on a weirdly tuned guitar with one string missing; with me being a good student but a bad teacher), but don't know enough about the theory, I think, to confidently just go about joining bands.

Happy Cycler
I am in my new house!

It's a bit of a 70s nightmare with a lot of work to do, but I love it!

I now have a shed. I have made it as a man.

Congrats again! What a saga. Relieved much?

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
Also, re: Greyscale. TWOISM KICKSTARTER!?!?!

Posts Quantity
I want to hear the full version of Autechre - SYptixed, but Bleep is being lame by giving us lame 30 second previews for all the good tracks and 3 full lame tracks.

Site Admin
Not sure if this is worth a thread of its own so I put it here.

http://cosmometry.net/basics-of-the-music-system
Life is a Frequency

Happy Cycler
Must they really still exist?

Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Happy Cycler
fujee wrote:

I've always said if I ever won the lottery I would build or buy a huge complex and turn it into a creative commune. You'd have easily enough money for everyone to stay free of charge, you could put on exhibitions, gigs, lectures, screenings etc. As long as everyone was respectful, people could come and go as they please.. it would literally be utopia. Oh to dream.

I wanted to do something kind of like that.

It'd primarily be a record store and its main focus is anything and everything ambient, ambient techno, IDM, what have you - the "bedroom producer" music, whatever all this stuff is. Everything from BoC and Aphex to the most independent artists, if they came in and played their music and it was good, I'd take their homemade copies and put them up for sale. Of course it'd have other things, but it'd be purely and simply an electronic/experimental music hub at its core.

And it'd have a stage where local (and visiting) artists could come play, a coffee shop, a library, screening room for films/music videos/documentaries - really cozy aesthetics, it would feel like a house with couches and everything. You could just stay and talk and relax even if you weren't going to buy anything. Take a nap if you'd like on the couch, just doze off. We'd have a couple dogs and whatnot, maybe some chilled out dachshunds. There would be interviews, merch, so much in like this place that from the outside looks like a house or something completely inconspicuous. I forgot what I thought would be a cool name but it was somewhere between something like Primer and Obsidian.

And the playlist would be fucking amazing.

Ideally, the electronic/ambient music would be on the first floor - extended selection - every fucking thing. Everything else (alt rock, shoegaze, metal, whatever) would be on the second floor - general record store selection.

So yeah, if someone made that...I'm all for it.
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Sherbet Head
Carl Sagan "pale blue dot" animation & Hans Zimmer track. Bonita.

http://www.wimp.com/paledot/?utm_conten ... gn=buffer/

Happy Cycler
“My brain is only a receiver, in the Universe there is a core from which we obtain knowledge, strength and inspiration. I have not penetrated into the secrets of this core, but I know that it exists.”

What an incredible albeit slightly mad quote

Happy Cycler
Not meaning to brag guys, but today I have been to both Screwfix *and* the dump.

Man-business.

Sherbet Head
A_Northern_Soul wrote:Not meaning to brag guys, but today I have been to both Screwfix *and* the dump.

Man-business.

:lol: :lol:

Happy Cycler
Souly, could you translate that to not-as-manly-as-you speak?

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground