Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.
Post a reply

Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:12 pm

They used Reaper for the DAW on TH.

Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:52 pm

Torn n Frayed wrote:They used Reaper for the DAW on TH.

.. says who?

Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:17 pm

I've been reading a few interviews with Jon Hopkins recently (easy to find on Google) where he goes into a fair amount of detail on the recording process for 'Immunity', basically everything recorded analogue, 'real' instruments, synths, found sounds etc, then processed and arranged in a DAW, the convenience of digital but with an 'organic' quality. His 'secret weapon,' if you like, was using Soundforge to process all his sounds.
Now I'm not a producer, but isn't the record in analogue/arrange in a DAW how most recording is done these days?
I'd be surprised if BOC didn't work this way in some form. Can anyone more experienced than me explain why an electronic artist might use hardware for recording/sequencing, other than personal preference?

Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:37 pm

chronical wrote:
Torn n Frayed wrote:They used Reaper for the DAW on TH.

.. says who?

Was found in this clue last year;

http://www.twoism.org/forum/viewtopic.p ... ght=reaper

Re: The Secret Weapon

Mon May 16, 2016 3:13 pm

Just saw this on Reddit. Hope im not re-posting old stuff. This info is from a TH press release.

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardsofcanada ... revealing/

Always been Curious about the so called "Secret Weapon" as I own an SH101 and it can be used to create many BOC like sounds .

Mon May 16, 2016 3:20 pm

The synth isn't half of it though. After they create the music the fun really begins in terms of layered production and stereo trickery that has never been seen before really. The reason they are where they are is, on top of being great musicians, they are master producers of music. That is the BoC sound.

Mon May 16, 2016 6:24 pm

Do you think one day they might let us have a glimpse into their methods? I don't make music but even I'm fascinated in how they create the BOC sound.

Mon May 16, 2016 7:52 pm

Their secret weapon is genius. Even if they detailed how to get their sound nobody would actually be able to do it. It would always sound like an imitation.

Tue May 17, 2016 7:39 pm

I bought a CS-70 about 10 years ago and the guy ran off with all my money. Thanks for the reminder!

Thu May 19, 2016 1:24 am

Their secret weapon is love.

Thu May 19, 2016 7:03 am

Their secret weapon is a Chinook helicopter. Or perhaps an Apache helicopter. An Apache helicopter has machine guns AND missiles. It is an unbelievably impressive complement of weaponry, an absolute death machine.

Apache. Definitely.

Thu May 19, 2016 7:32 am

Farts.

Thu May 19, 2016 5:59 pm

who cares. put that "secret weapon" in my hands and the music that will come forth would be SHIT.
the tool is only as good as the carpenter. they are master craftsmen.
they would crush with whatever tools you give them.

Thu May 19, 2016 8:59 pm

re-phaelam-ed wrote:they would crush with whatever tools you give them.

I'd like to hear what they'd do using nothing but kazoos.

Thu May 19, 2016 10:43 pm

My favorite band (this week) use kazoos in two songs and it sounds awesome.

Future of the Left, in case you're wondering. You weren't, I know.

Thu May 19, 2016 11:21 pm

Cupz wrote:
re-phaelam-ed wrote:they would crush with whatever tools you give them.

I'd like to hear what they'd do using nothing but kazoos.

better yet....forks

Fri May 20, 2016 4:30 am

re-phaelam-ed wrote:
better yet....forks

Within ~36hrs they will have made an entry level synth from them tbh.

24 of these hours would be spent doing nothing other than telling mdg to state that 'the forks are well underway'.

Fri May 20, 2016 6:07 am

Gotta say it again: legit old-school analog mixing board, like the rug that really brings the room together.

Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:31 am

Hey,newb here

I'm calling bullshit on there being any "secret weapon".there is absolutely nothing in BoC's sonic repetoire that would suggest giant,expensive,analog poly.pretty much everything that could be attributed to a synth has sounded like a simple mono-synth to me, ala SH-101.even on Tomorrow's Harvest,a lot of the chords sound like overdubs of monosynths (palace posy,come to dust)

If there is a secret weapon,it's definitely not a synth.it is most likely a sampler or an obscure device for sound treatment.they play a far bigger role in the sonics of BoC than any synths do.

Then again,if i am being completely honest,there really is nothing obscure about what BoC does in production terms.it's just more about how they put it together

Cheap,grainy reverb (quadraverb,Midiverb most likely) ring modulation and frequency shifting (probably a synth with an audio input,i don't see them using moogerfoogers lol and they've been using frequency shifting and ring modulation since the old tunes days),tape treatments,vintage sampler abuse (this is basically 60% of their sound),reamping and "world-ising"

I'm not in anyway undermining what they do.just shedding some reality on the processes (there's nothing unusual about what they use)

Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:55 am

Jonathan Doezesoph wrote:Hey,newb here

I'm calling bullshit on there being any "secret weapon".there is absolutely nothing in BoC's sonic repetoire that would suggest giant,expensive,analog poly.pretty much everything that could be attributed to a synth has sounded like a simple mono-synth to me, ala SH-101.even on Tomorrow's Harvest,a lot of the chords sound like overdubs of monosynths (palace posy,come to dust)

If there is a secret weapon,it's definitely not a synth.it is most likely a sampler or an obscure device for sound treatment.they play a far bigger role in the sonics of BoC than any synths do.

Then again,if i am being completely honest,there really is nothing obscure about what BoC does in production terms.it's just more about how they put it together

Cheap,grainy reverb (quadraverb,Midiverb most likely) ring modulation and frequency shifting (probably a synth with an audio input,i don't see them using moogerfoogers lol and they've been using frequency shifting and ring modulation since the old tunes days),tape treatments,vintage sampler abuse (this is basically 60% of their sound),reamping and "world-ising"

I'm not in anyway undermining what they do.just shedding some reality on the processes (there's nothing unusual about what they use)

Jesus, you came armed and ready didn't you? Happy first post and welcome, I guess. It is interesting you seem to be able to identify so much just from listening. How do you know that your ears don't deceive you ?

No hostility or anything, it's all love x
Post a reply