Chat client in the bottom of twoism

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

A small non-intrusive chat client in bottom of twoism.org?

Technically impossible
5%
Thats exactly what has been missing all this time
32%
Hell no, twoism is perfect the way it is
21%
No
11%
Yes
32%

Total votes: 19

Telepath
Would it be innaresting or would it blow up in our face or would boc use the data against us on the next record?

New Seed
Posting to say this really helped two other forums I used communities grow as soon as it was implemented. It's easy to set a name and chat and it's not in the way enough but still easy to access. One forum had a hide chat button for people if they didn't like it. Think it's a good idea

also first post : ________

Telepath
lawl lurkers gonna talk!

Welcome to twoism.

Boqurant
yessssssssss

Dayvan Cowboy
Wasn't this idea tossed around, but Ae generally said "no, it's not really possible with the current set-up"? Like.. because it was phpBB3 or something.. or it was phpBB2, but with phpBB3 he could do it.. something like that.

Also, part of the thing that I like about this forum is that there's a certain maturity to it. Not a "we're better than you", or "no fun" kind of maturity, but I guess just the fact that it takes longer than 2 seconds to post what could be considered a reply.. It just lends itself to a higher quality.

Then again, like Lime said, might be possible to just have a simple "hide" button.

EDIT: also your over-use of binary options will be your downfall
i demand a maybe

Posts Quantity
I think personally, I like the way it is, having some breathing room to type out really concise responses and receive the same. On the other hand, having a chat doesn't eliminate the actual posts, idk could definitely be an interesting addition.

Correct - pretty sure phpBB2 doesn't support it. Mr Twoist would be able to tell us though.

Oi - TWOIST - care to enlighten us on this one dude?? :wink:

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
Perch wrote:I think personally, I like the way it is, having some breathing room to type out really concise responses and receive the same.
Valotonin wrote:Celebrate collapse because it will be beautiful x

New Seed
Another forum I use that runs on phpBB2 has the chatango at the bottom. It is reasonably easy I T hink.

Dayvan Cowboy
a friend and i wrote a chat for phpbb2 when we were like 13 haha.
still on sourceforge ^^

Telepath
Techboy pwns poll item one, age 13.

If you give me descent source code and aesthetics gave me mod powers for an afternoon it would work out...if I dont go mad with power that is :twisted:

Happy Cycler
I've thought about it. At any rate there is a Skype room and an IRC room.
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Telepath
Rodheh wrote:I've thought about it. At any rate there is a Skype room and an IRC room.

The skype room is great, though there are only a select privaliged few on there, I'd like to see something like that except with the entire community.

I remember the IRC being somewhere on the internet.....I forgot where. I also remember it being a bit boring.

Dayvan Cowboy
i certainly can't say the source code will be "decent", lol.

IRC's on freenode. AFAIK I'm the only person from twoism who is there (maybe even the only person who is there in general). It's dead, dead as a doornail.

Sherbet Head
but what if you all start bickering and attaining stalkers in private! i need drama in my life!

pianoforte wrote:
Perch wrote:I think personally, I like the way it is, having some breathing room to type out really concise responses and receive the same.
This,

but if we have a "hide chat" feature, then I wouldn't mind having a chat room on the forum.

That way, if I want to instantly talk, I can. If I don't, then you guys can have at it! haha
PLEASE LISTEN TO MY QUEER ELECTRONIC POP MUSIC: 2020k.Bandcamp |Twenty20k.com

Happy Cycler
Cupz wrote:
Rodheh wrote:I've thought about it. At any rate there is a Skype room and an IRC room.

The skype room is great, though there are only a select privaliged few on there, I'd like to see something like that except with the entire community.

I remember the IRC being somewhere on the internet.....I forgot where. I also remember it being a bit boring.

"privileged few"

lol

Anyone is welcome, it's just that not everyone wants to join. Same went for the IRC. Same would go for a chat client at the bottom of Twoism.

I had the idea of a VOIP/chat client that could be embedded into either a popup like the "new message" box or the side of the pages on a site like this and scroll with it. Anyone could just drop in and out, there's be no accounts if you don't want to make one and no ads.

There is something called Gabbly which shares some of the ideas I have but works differently and doesn't have a VOIP client attached to it.

And as with RJ, I agree a "hide" option would be good. Otherwise when you load up the page, you see the text chat. If you want to respond, you have to click and set a nickname and if you want to talk (as in speak) you'd have to press some sort of icon. This is why Skype has been very useful, because it's extremely versatile, however it's now plagued with ads, the client has declined in quality and we don't know who the fuck is possibly listening in on us. Not that it really matters in that regard because I don't think we're really safe from that almost anywhere, but that sort of thing scares people away.
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Return to The Playground