Petition for BOC.

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Do we need happy album?

Yes
48%
No
52%

Total votes: 48

Sherbet Head
zeitgeist wrote:I say, why stop at a petition? Let's go all in and make it an ULTIMATUM!

^^ lulz -- proper giggles! >_<

Friendly Stranger
I feel like this is an unfair thing to ask a band to make an album you would like. IMO, you take what you get and appreciate it either way. Im sure a lot of us weren't expecting Tomorrow's Harvest to be so dark, but we learned to appreciate it anyway. Let the artist go where they feel like going next, don't try to force them down another path when they have been spending a descent time traveling on their own, you know what i mean?

With that said, i would love to hear a happier side to BoC in the future, but i will not participate in this poll since they have had a really solid run so far, and I'm curious to what lies ahead for them. Who knows, maybe they will be seeing a lighter side to their journey after the past two years being back in are lives. I hope for the best!

Correct. This is one step away from 'Dance for me Monkey-boy!!'.

Slow down...

Telepath
I disagree, just because we ask doesnt mean we're going to get what we want. They are in control, we can only revel in our stupid fantasies.

Eagle Minded
The day BoC, or any band I like for that matter, starts tailoring their creative output to suit fan requests is the day I stop listening to them. They're a band, not a jukebox.

Friendly Stranger
Cupz wrote:I disagree, just because we ask doesnt mean we're going to get what we want. They are in control, we can only revel in our stupid fantasies.

Totally, everyone has a right to fantasize and imagine whatever they like. I support that, just the way that OP described what the poll was about made it feel more demanding then a "What If?" type of scenario. Maybe we could start a thread for concept ideas that could involve a BoC soundtrack? Kind of like B12's "Time Tourist". If only BoC could create a soundtrack for a Film/Video Game...

Cupz wrote:I disagree, just because we ask doesnt mean we're going to get what we want. They are in control, we can only revel in our stupid fantasies.

I actually agree with you. Just sounded a little demanding to say 'petition'? Perhaps petition wasn't quite what was intended.

Slow down...

Telepath

Cupz wrote:https://www.change.org/p/boards-of-canada-make-a-happy-sounding-album

:lol:

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
Cupz wrote:https://www.change.org/p/boards-of-canada-make-a-happy-sounding-album

That's cool pic right there :roll:

Telepath
Thanks. It took me a long time to find the perfect one.

Dayvan Cowboy
This idea is fun and all, but really, these guys make what they want. Wouldn't we respect them a lot less if they bowed to our every whim?

Besides as others have mentioned, it's not as if everything they have made is melancholy. They've already showcased a range of emotions: naivety, ecstasy, dread, epiphany.

TCHP has a very strong and resolute place in the narrative of their work as an escapist piece of work, a 'day-glo vista' as they put it. You can even hear it take a turn at the end towards the realisation that the vision is dissipating (slow this bird down), and a longing to return to that state (tears from the compound eye.) Thematically, it works perfectly with TH. It has Trans Canada as it's solemn, darkening narrative bridge.

The sonic similarities show that they are very much cousins. But the bombastic ecstasy of TCHP, with its vibrant highs is replaced in TCH by a subdued half-enjoyment and half-longing. Beats that chug along like a train, and clear yet strangely colourless melody providing an odd warm-cool sensation. That EP really is in the annex to me (pun very much intended.)

All this to say that I think that they have had their fun with the likes of TCHP, and yet to my mind have managed to integrate it into their body of work. I know a lot of you do not agree with that, but I don't find it out of place at all. Though I concede that I did at first. To me they have basically allowed us to have our cake and eat it, they gave us something which is frankly as close as BOC can get to hippy-dippy cuddle-puddle love and they have made it realistic. If they had made an album which was entirely happy and mellow, it just wouldn't be BOC. Nothing they have made is completely light or dark, that isn't a part of the project. They have said as much in their interviews.

Eagle Minded
Hm. Well do they make 'happy' or 'up' albums as opposed to 'sad' or 'down' albums? It seems (to me anyway) they ultimately produce emotionally ambiguous albums. Obviously they have quite a bit of emotive content involved. They appear to be artists (heh). Sure geogaddi may be considered "darker" or mhtrtc "brighter". Both albums contain elements of each, as do their others.. i dont think i have to list qll the examples heh. In my opinion its easy to find quite a contrasting tone within each album. isn't it what it means to the individual listener that's important?

Eagle Minded
Haha an edit! It it critical for the artist also obviously!! Lol.

Happy Cycler
lyst wrote:I do not necessarily want a "happy" album, but i would like a "good" album.
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Dayvan Cowboy
I think that the "happy" thing is not that simple either, happy can be psychedelic, it can be just out of this place, the serial killer can be happy, right? :lol: in some way I think with TH the band just wanted to make something out of our world, something that beyond the curtains, it's not sad, nor it's happy!

Posts Quantity
We don't need a happy album, but it wouldn't hurt.

Boqurant
You start a petition because you want them to make a 'happy' album? Serious? F*ck off, they should make whatever they feel like.

This thread makes me sad and frustrated.

Friendly Stranger
aoc wrote:You start a petition because you want them to make a 'happy' album? Serious? F*ck off, they should make whatever they feel like.

This thread makes me sad and frustrated.

Slow down there, the petition was a joke. Most of this thread is lighthearted in fact.

Happy Cycler
What I find funny is that people will talk about how BoC should make "happy" music "again", as though they have.

I ask for examples and usually I get MHTRTC, specifically Roygbiv.

It's an odd thing to me. With the album, it partially ties into the thing about gauging album "darkness" - I don't think I need to point it out - do you guys not hear how dark MHTRTC is collectively? It's a bleak work, punctuated with "happy" parts, just like Geogaddi.

I think most people realize that though.

So on to tracks like Roygbiv: I don't see how this is "happy". Upbeat compared to other tracks, maybe, but most of the tracks people like to highlight as happy sounding from BoC are usually really kind of chill tracks or neutral sounding tracks that aren't dissonant. Stuff like Fly in the Pool and Buckie High come off as the legitimately "happy" sounding BoC tracks and even that is kind of a stretch.

I guess what I'm ultimately trying to say is that I've heard people talk about something along the lines of "oh I wish they went back to making happy stuff again" and have to ask: what the fuck are you talking about?

At this point it seems to translate as follows:

Voices of children = happy

Consonant melodies (juxtaposed against dissonant or otherwise) = irrelevant
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada