13. Nothing Is Real (3:52)

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
Strangely Nothing Is Real reminds of Richard D James album

Also something about this track is so too dreamy and repetitive, that it makes you think, is this all real

Dayvan Cowboy
Stickyfingers72 wrote:The computer like code sound that comes in at 29 seconds onwards has me thinking.. Has anybody put this track through a spectrogram program?

It's probably nothing. :wink:

Never noticed that sound before, as you say sounds like a computer programme loading on tape. Now there's nostalgia...

The repeated main electric piano theme/riff in this tune is just so perfectly reminiscent of some forgotten 80s American soap opera theme, it could be a sample (is it?). I know they've talked of creating entire tunes on a particular theme just for the purpose of sampling them, I wonder is that what happened here.

Eagle Minded
jcnporter wrote:The repeated main electric piano theme/riff in this tune is just so perfectly reminiscent of some forgotten 80s American soap opera theme

Very much the sort of vibe I got from the riff on first listen as well.

Stickyfingers72 wrote:The computer like code sound that comes in at 29 seconds onwards has me thinking.. Has anybody put this track through a spectrogram program?

I don't doubt someone's had a look at this and the other songs. Haven't myself, but do vaguely recall a look at the end of Gemini was discussed here a while back...?

To me, the noise reminded of two things - a bit of audio where only a fraction / milliseconds are being repeatedly looped and skimmed through, and also the artifacts some time stretching methods leave when used to extremes. It may well be neither of those, but that's the rough sort of impression.

Dayvan Cowboy
Techboy wrote:yeah I did, it's modulated sound
http://hosting.earthshine.it/~mark/nir-strings.mp3
Like I say, it's just a string line put through a ring modulator (demodulated above!)

Eagle Minded
Had skipped over the previous page - good stuff... Was aware of the strings being ring modulated but hadn't been sure of how much it applied to that background noise fading in before :30

Posts Quantity
Techboy wrote:
Techboy wrote:yeah I did, it's modulated sound
http://hosting.earthshine.it/~mark/nir-strings.mp3
Like I say, it's just a string line put through a ring modulator (demodulated above!)

That sounds like you isolated the string sounds, which already pretty much that way, anyway. It doesn't address the glitchy sound that comes in around 0:30s in. Rather, the strings start around 0:41s, and they do the same in the isolated version you posted above.

Dayvan Cowboy
I love the animated sparkly swooshy twiddly blanket in the background near the end. Satellite Anthem Icarus has a similar part.

Dayvan Cowboy
I've mentioned it twice already in this thread, but the main piano loop/riff that runs through this tune is so perfectly realised, it just blows me away every time, I never get sick of listening to it.

Eagle Minded
Fireal420 wrote:i am noticing that i seem to like tomorrows harvest more, when i listen to it in my car or using speakers.

which is strange because i usually prefer music and notice more effects when i listen with headphones. but there is something about tomorrows harvest quality that seems to sound better distanced.

actually. the third time i listened to tomorrows harvest it was while listening to it on a really shitty tv speaker setup. i think the downgrade of sound somewhat added to the experience of the album. and that was the first time the album really clicked for me.

to this day i still think the album sounds much better in my car or using a stereo. ive listened to tomorrows harvest multiple times with headphones (as i do with most music), and i just couldnt feel the same effect. split your infinities and nothing is real sound way more amazing through speakers.

it's good to get out of the headphones when you can, i think.

also, I highly recommend seeking out listening to a vinyl record of Tomorrow's Harvest... so much depth and space between everything

Eagle Minded
on a computer or television screen. Final thoughts for internet archive.

Dayvan Cowboy
Jesus was it you indeed
Who flirted so unkindly with my greed
Promising eternal life
When you knew it was not right
When you knew that what I'd need
Was willingness and comfort there

Videogame realisation. Addiction to virtual worlds. The creators become god for creating a reality,

Oh I am the one that corrected the quote on bocpages. It is willingness not wellness.

Dayvan Cowboy
breed or greed?

Sherbet Head
Definitely greed

Dayvan Cowboy
based on what

Eagle Minded
Lens Larque wrote:based on what

I guess the fact that 'greed' makes total sense (contextually speaking), but 'breed' doesn't.

Sherbet Head
Yes

Also, it just sounds like "greed"

Dayvan Cowboy
How does Jesus flirt with our greed?

Dayvan Cowboy

Eagle Minded
greed for sure ,

maybe

wanting the be in the kingdom of heaven and jesus knowing that heaven is already within us–yet we don't realize it... but want it and approach it the wrong way

Sherbet Head
It's probably the person realizing that God doesn't exist, he's going through an existensial crisis and he wishes he was never told about God. Nihilism is boring

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada