Hi-Scores (2014 remastered)

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
landed

[love the new twoism banners]

Eagle Minded
I've only had a chance to spin the vinyl a few times, and it sounds fantastic. They used high quality wax, and the remaster really fattened up the low end and brought out some buried sounds in my opinion. Show SKAM and the brothers some love, and purchase this one if you haven't already. You won't be disappointed🎹

Dayvan Cowboy
Yeah, I don't have the other pressings to compare it to.. but this pressing sounds divine.

Sherbet Head
Very pleased with this pressing :D
"We're just a band. Not an IDM band, not an electronic band, and not a dance band."

"An imaginary road trip in a rusty pick-up heading west through the brain"

Sherbet Head
North by North wrote:Pre-ordered CD from Skam, came with one of the BoC "hand" fliers (pics of girl with hand up and the Skam PO box info on the side). Was this standard with the Skam CD re-release?

Bump. Anyone?

Eagle Minded
North by North wrote:
North by North wrote:Pre-ordered CD from Skam, came with one of the BoC "hand" fliers (pics of girl with hand up and the Skam PO box info on the side). Was this standard with the Skam CD re-release?

Bump. Anyone?

I got the flier with my Skam order as well (both vinyl and cd shipments came with the flier). Guessing it was standard.

Sherbet Head
ZosoCon wrote:
North by North wrote:

Bump. Anyone?

I got the flier with my Skam order as well (both vinyl and cd shipments came with the flier). Guessing it was standard.

Ah, thx. Was a nice touch.

Sherbet Head
long story short

i just listened to "everything you do is a balloon" from the remastered version of hi scores.. well i noticed that the background synths were causing me to space-out even harder than usual as i followed them throughout the track.

then after i got done listening i read that they reversed the right and left channel for the remastered version, causing me to wonder, is that why i seemed to feel a stronger zone out sensation from the synths.

Telepath
I agree with Fireal just as much as I agree with his avatar.

Eagle Minded
I just realized they did this tonight. Now it all makes sense. Amazing how different everything sounds!

Boqurant
I'm still wondering about this. Can it be that they played it in the studio again?

1991 wrote:I would like to know is what is meant by "re-recorded" in this case.

"Re-recorded and re-mastered from original DAT tapes"
https://bleep.com/release/5213-boards-o ... -hi-scores

What is said about Geogaddi and IABOITC is "recut".

"RECUT BY NOEL SUMMERVILLE FROM ORIGINAL DAT MASTER"
http://boardsofcanada.com/vinyl-reissues/

Does anyone has any further information about this?

Sherbet Head
So re-cut definitely means that they've pressed the vinyl with sources from the DAT tapes

Howeveeeer....re-recorded? Yep, looks like they've played it again

MDG, why did they switch the stereo channels?

Posts Quantity
I doubt they went into the studio to physically perform and track again. Probably means they REMASTERED from the old mixed down DATs, which was then RERECORDED to create a new master to press from

Hexagon Sun Official
Najlepsiejszy wrote:So re-cut definitely means that they've pressed the vinyl with sources from the DAT tapes

The L-R channels had somehow been reversed during the cutting process back in 1996, so it was actually wrong on the original release and subsequent re-presses. The 1996 cut had also introduced audible distortion to the recordings. This 2014 edition was cleaned up and remastered by M&M and then re-cut, so the new version is in fact the definitive version - exactly as it sounds on the band's own masters.

Happy Cycler
Does the CD/digital version have much of an improvement in sound at all? It was already very clear and well mixed when it was both minimal and more dense.

For anyone who knows, let me know. If it's notably better off wax I might get it. Though I can't imagine other than the swapping of the stereo channels (which I'd probably manually swap back just out of familiarity :lol:) exactly how much better something like Hi Scores sounds remastered on any format but vinyl considering most remasters of records that sounded fine on CD usually end up being just louder or with some different EQ, things akin to that.
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Sherbet Head
I just purchased the vinyl and CD but couldn't wait so I downloaded the Mp3`s and gave them a listen on my laptop / iphone headphones. Id say there is a definite improvement noticeable on the mp3`s. To me the whole thing sounds a lot more richer or more lush (i cant think of a better word) I cant wait to crank it up in the car on the way home from work :)

Happy Cycler
Interesting, thanks MDG :)
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Sherbet Head
mdg wrote:
Najlepsiejszy wrote:So re-cut definitely means that they've pressed the vinyl with sources from the DAT tapes

The L-R channels had somehow been reversed during the cutting process back in 1996, so it was actually wrong on the original release and subsequent re-presses. The 1996 cut had also introduced audible distortion to the recordings. This 2014 edition was cleaned up and remastered by M&M and then re-cut, so the new version is in fact the definitive version - exactly as it sounds on the band's own masters.

Thank you for the quick answer!

Telepath
Hats of to the highs in the hats :D

Posts Quantity
mdg wrote:

Weird, the 2002 repress I have seems to have the channels as intended, it matches this latest cut. Maybe that's why I never noticed a difference, I haven't listened to the original in a long time. Eh anyway, thanks to everyone.

ps. it just came in the mail tonight, and Everything You Do Is A Balloon on this cut...ohhhh man, there are no words (ha Fireal I just experienced the same thing you did and then read what you said...so far I think the re-cut is what's causing it for me)

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada