Great news! 25th of November twoism will migrate to phpBB3

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Site Admin
phpBB2 has been outdated for years now. The board software is very vulnerable and there is no support for it anymore. We've suffered a few attacks in the past and in the last couple of years some strange bugs have appeared. The decision to migrate to phpBB3 has been going around for years now but I kept on delaying it for too long. On the 25th of November twoism.org has its 10th anniversary and I can't think of a better date to take the decision than this one. In other words, this upgrade can't be postponed anymore!

Over the last couple of years I've tried everything to make this migration go as smoothly as possible but I came to the conclusion that going on with the exact same template is impossible. The phpBB3 layout and possibilities are completely different compared to phpBB2 so I put up a request for designers several times. Two years ago Angel, member subset and the designer of the One on Twoism 4&5 coverart and website, contacted me to say that he wanted to give it a shot. After a couple of months he showed me some drafts which were a complete ultra-fresh overhaul and I liked it a lot! Over the last year Angel has been working very hard to finalize his design and make it work with all the new options of the new forum software. I've got no words to describe what an awesome job he has done. He created a complete custom template which I am VERY proud of! Nowhere on the net is there a forum like this. I'm not going to say much about it now, you'll all have to wait and see on November 25th.

Although this design has my complete approval I do understand that some twoismers (me included) don't want their "living room" to be completely overhauled. With this notion, I also asked Angel to create a lookalike of the current theme. He once again surprised me. The twoism-ripplex theme is NOT phpBB2 but does come very close. Although the main twoism theme will be Angel's ultra-fresh design, it is up to the user to decide which theme they want to use.

Besides the visual overhaul the new board software also allows many extras. To name a few: embedding of youtube videos, soundcloud & mixcloud players, extra profile options, more tools for the mods to moderate the board and many more optional features.

The plan of action at this time is as follows. (More info closer to the 25th will follow.)
  • Nov 21: Database backup of old phpBB2 forum. phpBB2 board remains online but all posts during the 21st and 25th might get lost (will be announced)
    Angel will import the database with all kinds of trickery and roundabouts to the brand new phpBB3 forum.
    Angel and I will be finalizing and installing some mods into the new forum.
    Testing the new board with the team.
  • Nov 24: phpBB2 forum will be locked
  • Nov 25: Going live!

On a sidenote: After the break we will welcome Mexicola as part of the moderator team! At the same time we sad fully wave The Other and thedisavowed goodbye from the moderator team due to inactivity.
Last edited by Aesthetics on Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is a Frequency

Stoked! 8)

Can I just say, you guys are going to love the new board so much.

Robin and Angel worked their proverbial arses off to make this happen and deserve a HUGE pat on the back. I know Fredd has had a big input into this project too.

Congratulations guys. It was a long road, but you're almost there now! :D

Slow down...

Posts Quantity
WHOOP WHOOP
it's happening!!!
Dude, have you heard the new EVANESENCE?

Happy Cycler
Great news, thanks Ae and team :)
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Dayvan Cowboy
Congrats to Robin, Angel, and Fredd-E for - what will obviously be - a job well done!! :D

And you too Mex! Couldn't possibly think of a better pick!

Dayvan Cowboy
Sounds awesome. Can't wait :)

Posts Quantity
Congrats to Mexicola, twoism's eternal diplomat!
Be music friends: http://last.fm/user/will-neill
Be friends with my music: http://willneill.bandcamp.com/

Happy Cycler
Totally missed the Mexicola mod bit at the bottom. Congrats dude, like everyone has said.. can't think of a more deserving person. A pint is in order when I next see you!
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Thanks all. Twoism's diplomat eh? Hmm. Kissenger? ;-)

Sherbet Head
8) & the gang. Nice one Mexi. Hopefully it's a smooth ride for you.

/cheers 8)

Dayvan Cowboy
Looking forward to it :)

Congrats mexi! Excellent choice

Dayvan Cowboy
Yay!
My debut Sweguno EP 'Adapteras' is available here: https://atavisticspasmrecords.bandcamp. ... apteras-ep

Friendly Stranger
Awesome! New additions sound great, can't wait for the Soundcloud play integration! Thanks for your time and hard work on update this spot, one of my favorite places to go on the interwebz 8)

Sherbet Head
Awesome, I really cant wait to see it, cheers all :D

Friendly Stranger
Well done to all envolved

Sherbet Head
Thx to all working to keep this place alive and moving w/ the thymes.

~Snuf

Telepath
nice nice cant wait yes

Sherbet Head
YAY! :D
ImageImage

Happy Cycler
Good news, and good call having Mexi as a mod.

So if I understand correctly this board will be backed up fully? Is there any way our post count/avatars/titles will carry over or is that a negative?
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Next

Return to The Playground