2016 US Presidential Elections

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

phpBB [media]

Slow down...

Telepath

Dayvan Cowboy
Ah fuck it, time to embrace collapse.

Dayvan Cowboy
I feel sick.
My debut Sweguno EP 'Adapteras' is available here: https://atavisticspasmrecords.bandcamp. ... apteras-ep

Sherbet Head
I'll just say that the fact that the leading candidate is the one who's been consistently mocked and berated by the media and other politicians is a good indicator of the disparity that exists between the nation's people and its institutions.

Betterthanyourkids wrote:On the other end of the spectrum, there's libertarian candidate Gary Johnson, but he's been compromising a lot on his views to appeal to disenfranchised republicans looking for a new candidate, which as a libertarian/ancap is very disappointing.

That's strange. I didn't vote for him because of how liberal he seemed. He definitely seems to be trying to appeal more to democrats in the way he presents libertarianism, since he focuses more on his social policy than his fiscal policy. Either way, he isn't a real libertarian and I have no idea how he got the party nomination twice in a row. Hopefully that will change in the next election.

Telepath
I know collapse will come no matter the outcome of the election, but I can't stop watching.

Dayvan Cowboy
I dunno, I'm kinda intrigued to see how this plays out now. With zero experience of how politics works I can see him so far out of his depth that he is effectively hamstrung by 'the system'.

Sherbet Head
Turns out theres many more slackjawed yokels living in this country than I thought.
"We're just a band. Not an IDM band, not an electronic band, and not a dance band."

"An imaginary road trip in a rusty pick-up heading west through the brain"

Posts Quantity
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck
they tryna be crate

Telepath
It's official. America is Trump country now.

Friendly Stranger
A listen through of Tomorrow's Harvest seems appropriate tonight

Happy Cycler
Sanders would have given Trump a harder run for his money. Sad.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Sherbet Head
I could really use a new BOC track or two right now. Digesting this election is hard.

Sherbet Head
Trump is really reminding me of biff in back to the future 2. I don't see how this is going to be good for anyone.

So that's Michael Moore's career resurrected then. Add your own Sick Times reference here.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
I mean it's darkly interesting to watch this all unfold and see where it goes but my fear is that when Trump fails to Make America Great Again, there's not going to be a moment of self reflection where everyone collectively goes "this guy and his policies are stupid", there's going to be blame shifted onto scapegoats and diehard supporters whipped up into anger looking for people to take it out on. Holy shit though.

Sherbet Head
I find it funny how upset people are about it. People wouldn't shut the fuck up about how much they don't like Trump, so this election was extremely enjoyable for me to watch. Sweet justice.

Posts Quantity
donald trump is ugly!!!!! he looks like a fish!!!!!!

Dayvan Cowboy
fujee wrote:Sanders would have given Trump a harder run for his money. Sad.

Yeah. During the primaries we kept hearing that Sanders voters needed to abandon their naive and utopian ideological purity and make the 'pragmatic' choice.
Even though Sanders consistently polled better against Trump than Clinton and had a higher approval rating, the media and the party knew better.
That worked out well for them.

Dayvan Cowboy
drillkicker wrote:That's strange. I didn't vote for him because of how liberal he seemed. He definitely seems to be trying to appeal more to democrats in the way he presents libertarianism, since he focuses more on his social policy than his fiscal policy. Either way, he isn't a real libertarian and I have no idea how he got the party nomination twice in a row. Hopefully that will change in the next election.

Libertarians are supposed to be liberals, in the true sense of the word, as opposed to how the word is used in US politics. Socially and fiscally liberal and individualist. It's what separates them from Republicans, who are socially conservative and fiscally liberal.
Libertarianism as a concept originally started on the left, although some of the American right seem to have adopted the term. Unfortunately for them the more conservative, Republican right see them as lefties, which is why they get few votes from anyone.

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground