What year we will see the early albums

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Boqurant
I've been waiting years. I just didn't dig TH much at all and really would prefer at this point to just hear their extensive back catalog which has never seen the light of day. Not that I have no interest in their stuff moving forward, but I originally got into BOC through hearing the Old Tunes tapes and have always sort of associated them with that stuff.

Hopefully they consider a multi cd boxset with stuff all throughout their career that's unreleased, and maybe anything else that's left put it up online somewhere ala Aphex Twin. I'd think its better to have their legacy preserved rather than have tons and tons of music that will just disappear in time and no one has ever heard it. That would be kind of sad, honestly.

Here's hoping.

Gevel wrote:I'd think its better to have their legacy preserved rather than have tons and tons of music that will just disappear in time and no one has ever heard it. That would be kind of sad, honestly.

No one except for their kids, wives, and good friends in HS of course.

Their kids are about in puberty right now, I reckon they now do have a notion of who their fathers are in the music industry, and what cult following they have online. They might even follow bocpages on Facebook and twitter! :) Or they might just follow Justin Bieber... but it's certain they probably have heard lots of their unreleased music by now. Those lucky bastards. :)

Dayvan Cowboy
Imagine if we are their "kids"?

remember was reading this on watmm boards years ago

still make me smile

Dayvan Cowboy
Gevel wrote:Hopefully they consider a multi cd boxset with stuff all throughout their career that's unreleased, and maybe anything else that's left put it up online somewhere ala Aphex Twin. I'd think its better to have their legacy preserved rather than have tons and tons of music that will just disappear in time and no one has ever heard it. That would be kind of sad, honestly.

Here's hoping.

Bring it. I like the idea of them including an R35TT type disc of music that doesn't attribute any of the tracks to a given era. Make it truly timeless, just throw it out there. It's funny that there is now 20+ year old mostly unheard music that is as old as the era of music that it likely originally invoked.

Dayvan Cowboy
Emmet@lego wrote:I really want to hear all their early albums

Happy Cycler
In the year 2525
"It's been a long time..."

Dayvan Cowboy
Probably non-relevant but one of the school children in 'Look around you' looked remarkably like a Sandison. We are already somewhat aware of Serafinowicz's relationship to HS so it might not be too far fetched.

Boqurant
Well, I want one day to hear their early albums.

Dayvan Cowboy
Emmet@lego wrote:Well, I want one day to hear their early albums.

It's not your birthday but your name is on the cake

Boqurant
OK, don't go off topic.

Posts Quantity

Dayvan Cowboy
Like I was saying, 84

Eagle Minded
I kinda hope that with all these bands starting to release on cassette again that maybe the bros could release a 6 cassette boc box set of their early albums. They were all originally on cassette anyways, and I wouldn't mind paying $70 for that, even if it wasn't the same as their later work. We've heard a snippet of a few early tracks and honestly it just sounds like more of them so I don't think any of us would be worse off hearing these albums. (Specifically Catalog 3, Acid Memories, Closes Vol. 1, Play By Numbers, Hooper Bay, & BoC Maxima)

I think it's fascinating they've kept a lid on these tracks for this long tbh, in this information age it's surprising anyone can keep anything a secret.
"The patience of a true enthusiast is unlimited." - Albert Camus

Eagle Minded
While we're on one of our favorite topics ("Things We Want From BoC But Maybe Will Never Get But, Hey, We're All Dreamers Here So Why Not Fuss About It A Little Bit?") I'd like to mention a thought I had this morning: I would pay big bux for a career-spanning, divided-by-album B-side collection from BoC ... we've likely all read that Geogaddi was originally 90 tracks long or so, and I've heard that Tomorrow's Harvest had a similar amount of tossed-aside tracks ... I'd love to have a collection of those that didn't make the cut.
"Fall in love with some activity, and do it! Nobody ever figures out what life is all about, and it doesn't matter. Explore the world. Nearly everything is really interesting if you go into it deeply enough." - Richard P. Feynman

Dayvan Cowboy
b0qurant wrote:While we're on one of our favorite topics ("Things We Want From BoC But Maybe Will Never Get But, Hey, We're All Dreamers Here So Why Not Fuss About It A Little Bit?") I'd like to mention a thought I had this morning: I would pay big bux for a career-spanning, divided-by-album B-side collection from BoC ... we've likely all read that Geogaddi was originally 90 tracks long or so, and I've heard that Tomorrow's Harvest had a similar amount of tossed-aside tracks ... I'd love to have a collection of those that didn't make the cut.

I think they're probably too stingy and protective to deliver most of that material, but I'd like a disc of their best outtakes from over the span of their modern era.

I really like the idea of bringing it full circle and having them release a cassette box set along the lines of this:

https://dreamcatalogue.bandcamp.com/album/dreambox-1

of all their old releases, but again, likely too much to hope for.

I think they will never release any of their old tunes. Why? They've said numerous times in interviews being perfectionists. No way they're going to release anything that's not up to par with what they're capable of producing now. They've refined their technique so much throughout the years. It has to be at least better than Tomorrow's Harvest by their standards. What we might think is great is irrelevant.

Dayvan Cowboy
Fredd-E wrote:I think they will never release any of their old tunes. Why? They've said numerous times in interviews being perfectionists. No way they're going to release anything that's not up to par with what they're capable of producing now. They've refined their technique so much throughout the years. It has to be at least better than Tomorrow's Harvest by their standards. What we might think is great is irrelevant.

Wow, I can't believe we're finally getting the BoCset on October 6th!

Sherbet Head
I have to say as soon a top moderator on a music forum (joyrex for example, was the same with Aphex saying he had definitely retired) starts clearly saying 'never going to happen' or something of that ilk then I get highly suspicious somethings in the pipeline and on it's way.

Happy Cycler
We will see the albums when time cycles back around to 1990-1995. We have to be more persistent and aware of the timeline this time, people! Get your game faces on!

Posts Quantity
As connected and awesome as he is, unless Joyrex comes out and says he talked to the bros directly, I'm not gonna be taking doubts as gospel. Not even Warp can know what their feelings are unless the bros talk to them about it. Besides, people change as they grow. Who knows, maybe they're already secretly planning a release for when time mobius-strips back to 1990. Seriously though, maybe someone so in love with memory and nostalgia at some point taking the ultimate opportunity here is closer to the real odds involved. Those aren't impossible odds!

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada