--The post what you are working on *right now* thread--

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Nova Scotia Robot
TheStatPow wrote:https://synthswhineandcheese.bandcamp.com/album/1

Its finally done, I can relax. :lol:

I dig it, man. Groovy stuff... and I dig it. Sent you some moola for them tunes, brother.
Peace and flowers,
Tyler aka Anvil Stereo aka Captain Lavender

Sherbet Head
747Music wrote:
TheStatPow wrote:https://synthswhineandcheese.bandcamp.com/album/1

Its finally done, I can relax. :lol:

I dig it, man. Groovy stuff... and I dig it. Sent you some moola for them tunes, brother.
Peace and flowers,
Tyler aka Anvil Stereo aka Captain Lavender

Thanks man, I really appreciate it ^-^
Suck my BUTT

Friendly Stranger
Been working on lo-fi house, but I only use LMMS and it's difficult to do a lot of the things you could do with something like Ableton with its barebones features. I'm trying to learn to emulate the sounds lo-fi that producers on labels like Lobster Theremin are making, but without hardware, that's a little bit tough. The best techniques I've found to get that warped cassette sound are throwing limiters and saturators on top of everything and injecting fake tape hiss into the mix.

https://soundcloud.com/user-226632176-3 ... rouhjs-wip
This track is the one I've put the most time into, I tried to go for Lone's Crush Mood but spacier
https://soundcloud.com/user-226632176-3 ... anthem-wip
This track was the initial demo I did when I was experimenting with this sound, the actual melodic parts are undeveloped and annoying, but they serve as stand-ins for something I will eventually write.

Posts Quantity
Everytime I come here I get a tingle up my spin, like somehow this is like a breeding ground for the future of music. Something about the times, something about the place. Always exciting, you're all very talented.

Telepath
Chroma02 wrote:I only use LMMS

Respect! I'm still itching to move over permanently, but there's some vital features still missing (like decent automation editing). Then again, creative limits are important. :D Zynaddsubfx alone might be worth it.

*starts up LMMS*

Friendly Stranger
Cupz wrote:

Respect! I'm still itching to move over permanently, but there's some vital features still missing (like decent automation editing). Then again, creative limits are important. :D Zynaddsubfx alone might be worth it.

*starts up LMMS*

Thanks, I love certain things about LMMS (simplicity, mostly), but I'm starting to think LMMS is a bit too limiting. Certain things like oldschool breakbeat are nearly impossible in LMMS, I think Ableton has more of what I want at this point, very true that its automation system isn't great. Definitely love LMMS's simplicity and open source nature and Zyn is one of the best VSTs I've used to date.

Sherbet Head
Chroma02 wrote:
Cupz wrote:

*starts up LMMS*

Thanks, I love certain things about LMMS (simplicity, mostly), but I'm starting to think LMMS is a bit too limiting. Certain things like oldschool breakbeat are nearly impossible in LMMS, I think Ableton has more of what I want at this point, very true that its automation system isn't great. Definitely love LMMS's simplicity and open source nature and Zyn is one of the best VSTs I've used to date.

I tried LMMS too and found it limiting. Its good for a free DAW but there are better options.
Suck my BUTT

Nova Scotia Robot
Kyla wrote:Everytime I come here I get a tingle up my spin, like somehow this is like a breeding ground for the future of music. Something about the times, something about the place. Always exciting, you're all very talented.

Says the super talented girl. 8)

With a common love for BoC here, it shows their ability to inspire. And you could very well be right about the "breeding ground for the future of music." I think of what Brian Eno said about Velvet Underground “The first Velvet Underground album only sold 10,000 copies, but everyone who bought it formed a band” and think about BoC.
This isn't quite the same as that, but BoC especially, gave me such a strong personal desire to make music and I know I'm not alone with that. It seems to be for different reasons than usual, though. It's not "I wanna play guitar like that" or "write lyrics like that". It's the level of incredible art, like painting stunning images with sound waves that makes me say "I wanna make really good art with sound no matter the instruments used". The inspiration is for simply for creativity, and less specific, to me. I know a lot of my stuff currently goes in the direction of BoC's IDM, but I plan on making stuff that sounds like Alan Parsons Project - Wouldn't Wanna Be Like You, mixed with a lot of Devo's stuff, mixed with more psychedelia.

So I agree, this place is a great music source. So, so often I'm greeted with the same tingly feeling when listening to these talented folk here.

Eagle Minded
I like how the majority of stuff in this thread is NOT BoC clone stuff. A lot of us have been doing this long enough to get some style of our own. BoC is a great influence, but if you try to model your music off of them (or anyone for that matter), you will not get far. Originality, soul, creativity. That is where it's at.

Eagle Minded
New track, the first I've recorded in my new, but temporary, place of livin':
https://soundcloud.com/thai-bluejeans-s ... ingnothing

In my previous room, I had my drumset set -- but I can't do that any longer due to noise / spatial concerns.
I recorded the drum parts separately (pieces of set occupy only one track each in my DAW), which was a new experience.
"Fall in love with some activity, and do it! Nobody ever figures out what life is all about, and it doesn't matter. Explore the world. Nearly everything is really interesting if you go into it deeply enough." - Richard P. Feynman

Eagle Minded
b0qurant wrote:New track, the first I've recorded in my new, but temporary, place of livin':

In my previous room, I had my drumset set -- but I can't do that any longer due to noise / spatial concerns.
I recorded the drum parts separately (pieces of set occupy only one track each in my DAW), which was a new experience.

Beautiful stuff. That's all by you? Saw the Rundgren hashtag didn't know if it was some kind of cover or something.

Eagle Minded
lyst wrote:
b0qurant wrote:New track, the first I've recorded in my new, but temporary, place of livin':

Beautiful stuff. That's all by you? Saw the Rundgren hashtag didn't know if it was some kind of cover or something.

Thanks, dude!

Yes, that's all written and played by me -- I'm usually at a loss with what to put for tags ... I've been listening to 'A Wizard, A True Star' and 'Something/Anything?' a bunch lately, and've been feeling inspired by Rundgren ... I made the title 'Everything/Nothing?' as kind of a loose homage to 'Something/Anything?'.
"Fall in love with some activity, and do it! Nobody ever figures out what life is all about, and it doesn't matter. Explore the world. Nearly everything is really interesting if you go into it deeply enough." - Richard P. Feynman

Telepath
Love it, b0qurant! Nice summer-evening vibes :)

Eagle Minded
In more of a beatless BoC type of mood.

phpBB [media]

Telepath
Not boc type of mood, but I like it. If anything it's more of a stars of the lid type of mood :)

Sherbet Head
Yes, I used that Sesame Street sample in this.

phpBB [media]

Friendly Stranger
phpBB [media]

More LMMS lo-fi house, trying to get the drums to sound right but they need careful EQing. Some of the features that I've been using in this program (the saturator, particularly) sound one way and then a totally different way when I go to export so it's somewhat of a guessing game what things will sound like. I want to add some weird samples for texture and maybe a bass synth, but I don't think I've got a good enough structure to start adding things like that yet.

If anyone can give me criticism, I'd very much appreciate it.

Nova Scotia Robot

This is really great stuff, man!
Cupz nailed it with describing it as "summer-evening vibes".
Thanks for making it downloadable. I'm putting this on a regular playlist.

Nova Scotia Robot
bearhead wrote:Yes, I used that Sesame Street sample in this.

phpBB [media]

Love it!! And you sly dog you. The sample fits.

Friendly Stranger
phpBB [media]

Expanded on this to a full length track; not sure if I just want to finish 1 track for a single or 3 tracks to have an EP, but I'd like to have something to send off to labels to try to get my foot in the door somewhere and maybe get a release put out some day- working with LMMS alone means that either way I won't be done soon. Does anyone have any experience dealing with small labels? Please PM me if you have any tips for how I should go about sending demos.

PreviousNext

Return to This Random Sound