Soundcloud is dying, back up your contacts and work.

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Posts Quantity
Hey everyone, I like many of you here use Soundcloud for sharing my work with other artists and promotion.
However all good things must come to an end and it looks as if soundcloud will end in t minus 50 days.

Read more here.
https://noisey.vice.com/en_ca/article/d ... noiseyfbca

So suppose it would be a good idea to start directing your fan base and fellow artists to the relevant platforms that you plan on switching to. I'm sad, I really loved soundclouds UI. I think this is going to be a blow for indie artists in the interm as bandcamp's social networking is kinda ugly and clunky, Oh well...

P.S. if any of you are savey developers this would be a great opportunity to develop a Tumblr easy platform for sharing music and supporting artists.

Sherbet Head
I say good, screw Soundcloud.

We have BandCamp anyway, more professional and less polluting, at least when you post on there there isn't a shitton of bots that likes your stuff or people that follows you in the hope that you follow them back.

Don't get me wrong but I just think music and the cancer that social media is, shouldn't be mixed together.

I think sharing music as become too easy nowaday, I've been victim of it, even when I shared a shitty tune on there I'd get recognition from random people, its too rewarding and it encourages people to release in quantity over quality.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up :P
Suck my BUTT

Telepath
It's about time, though I'm not sure about the validity of that article..
If true, I think it will just be bought out by some other company and run for a couple more years.

I'd like something like soundcloud but without all the distracting social-media hogwash. Something like an image-board but for music files, have a webtorrent backbone to save server-costs? Anyone php-savy enough to build this for me?

Posts Quantity
TheStatPow wrote:I say good, screw Soundcloud.

We have BandCamp anyway, more professional and less polluting, at least when you post on there there isn't a shitton of bots that likes your stuff or people that follows you in the hope that you follow them back.

Don't get me wrong but I just think music and the cancer that social media is, shouldn't be mixed together.

I think sharing music as become too easy nowaday, I've been victim of it, even when I shared a shitty tune on there I'd get recognition from random people, its too rewarding and it encourages people to release in quantity over quality.

I disagree that bandcamp is more professional. It's not very well designed in my opinion and in regards to taking social media out of music... How is that possible? I'm pretty sure the only way any indie artists are getting airtime is from social media word of mouth. I think there's an excellent case to build a Tumblr for music. I want a well oiled viral machine that gets what you put into it, I understand people may not like social media systems but if used properly they really work!

Sherbet Head
I stand there corrected :P
Suck my BUTT

Telepath
Maybe, but if someone finds out how to get people to stumble on music based on how good it is rather then how social-media-savy they are, I'd support it wholeheartedly.

Nova Scotia Robot
Aww. This is the main place I use to put my musics on the interweb. Gotta start using something else now. Or just finally release proper releases instead of just screwing around. So maybe this will be good for me.

Cupz wrote:Maybe, but if someone finds out how to get people to stumble on music based on how good it is rather then how social-media-savy they are, I'd support it wholeheartedly.

I support this statement.

Eagle Minded
Cupz wrote:It's about time, though I'm not sure about the validity of that article..
If true, I think it will just be bought out by some other company and run for a couple more years.

I'd like something like soundcloud but without all the distracting social-media hogwash. Something like an image-board but for music files, have a webtorrent backbone to save server-costs? Anyone php-savy enough to build this for me?

Yeah, but Tumblr sucks as well.

Eagle Minded
TheStatPow wrote:I say good, screw Soundcloud.

Don't be so harsh, what you think is shitty someone might really enjoy!

To me, Soundcloud never really had a plan to monetize. A lot will miss the easy way to share tracks, or web writers will miss the easy way to link audio into articles, but other than that Soundcloud is pretty much useless for artists who wanted it to be another revenue stream.

Happy Cycler
Yeah, but now there is this article...
http://www.businessinsider.com/soundclo ... oon-2017-7

Honestly, I already pulled my stuff off soundcloud last month. The bots were annoying and I did not like to have featured artists I care nothing about shoved in my face. It started to feel cluttered.

The internet is a noisy place.

Eagle Minded
mechanismj wrote:Yeah, but now there is this article...

Honestly, I already pulled my stuff off soundcloud last month. The bots were annoying and I did not like to have featured artists I care nothing about shoved in my face. It started to feel cluttered.

LOL.... The bots are annoying, but they also make it hard to know if you are really making fans or not.

And a rappers tweet doesn't boost my confidence. They need to get over this "we have a unique community" baloney and create stability for themselves and find a way to monetize so that people earn something or they are going to just be the next Mysapce.

I didn't like the changes they made, and I am baffled at why they havenmt been able to find a way to create a profitable business model.

Happy Cycler
TrippyTrinity wrote:

LOL.... The bots are annoying, but they also make it hard to know if you are really making fans or not.

And a rappers tweet doesn't boost my confidence. They need to get over this "we have a unique community" baloney and create stability for themselves and find a way to monetize so that people earn something or they are going to just be the next Mysapce.

I didn't like the changes they made, and I am baffled at why they havenmt been able to find a way to create a profitable business model.

That is the exact feeling I get! It feels like MySpace right before Facebook really took off. Clunky and loaded with garbage... which is also how facebook felt right before I deleted my account last year.

Dayvan Cowboy
So... is there a viable alternative for anyone wanting to share their music online?

I like Bandcamp but that's very much a final stage of putting out a finished coherent release. I wouldn't put anything I considered to a WIP, an out-take or a sketch of an idea on there.

Eagle Minded
There's no real viable alternative. Soundcloud is going nowhere, it's staying. Question is will they change their paradigm now? Gotta love how I'm paying for premium monthly and have to listen to fucking ads with music.

But anyway, I still love Soundcloud. I've discovered a lot of music through it, and have personally enjoyed my own experience with it. As much as we say making music is all about ourselves, it really doesn't hurt getting comments and likes from fellow artists. It has pushed me in the past to get better.

Telepath
after a few minutes of duckduckgo:

https://orfium.com/
https://clyp.it/
https://audiomack.com
https://yung.cloud

The problem with all of these is the same, almost nobody uses em except really whack mcs. I guess soundcloud is turning into that too. Though I'm actually liking the look of yung.cloud. It's like soundcloud fell into a bath of chloride, melting away all the bloat.

What is it twoism wants out of a music-sharing service?

Also, in response to the thread title. Backup work from soundcloud? People use it as storage? :shock:

Eagle Minded
mechanismj wrote:
TrippyTrinity wrote:

That is the exact feeling I get! It feels like MySpace right before Facebook really took off. Clunky and loaded with garbage... which is also how facebook felt right before I deleted my account last year.

Im right there with you. I'm going to stay on the FB highway a bit longer then get off the nearest off ramp. By the way, Twitter is the same way with the bots.

Eagle Minded
Cupz wrote:after a few minutes of duckduckgo:

https://orfium.com/
https://clyp.it/
https://audiomack.com
https://yung.cloud

The problem with all of these is the same, almost nobody uses em except really whack mcs. I guess soundcloud is turning into that too. Though I'm actually liking the look of yung.cloud. It's like soundcloud fell into a bath of chloride, melting away all the bloat.

What is it twoism wants out of a music-sharing service?

Also, in response to the thread title. Backup work from soundcloud? People use it as storage? :shock:

"The problem with all of these is the same, almost nobody uses em except really whack mcs." I couldn't have said it better myself.

Whatever happened to Soundclick?

Eagle Minded
lyst wrote:There's no real viable alternative. Soundcloud is going nowhere, it's staying. Question is will they change their paradigm now? Gotta love how I'm paying for premium monthly and have to listen to fucking ads with music.

But anyway, I still love Soundcloud. I've discovered a lot of music through it, and have personally enjoyed my own experience with it. As much as we say making music is all about ourselves, it really doesn't hurt getting comments and likes from fellow artists. It has pushed me in the past to get better.

It probably helped you nas a label. I find soundcloud to be a glut of the same. But that's not to say your experience is wrong, just that i found way more on Youtube and Spotify. And even a few times something through my Facebook feed.

They wont change their paradigm. Whoever they sell it to will for sure.

Ads even with a premium account?? Wow. that's sad!

Boqurant
I usually set SC to play random stuff on my phone while the lady and I get busy. Well, last time, during a pretty intimate moment, we hear "Come to Kentucky Fried Chicken!" all of the sudden... Ruined the moment, but we laughed it off. The next part, though, was utter horror. A fucking Rihanna song came on?!? Nothing on my station should ever lead it to a Rihanna song. We both agreed to a rain check.

Happy Cycler
Social media is part of the music industry now, it's almost unavoidable.

Even experimental artists like OPN and the whole vaporwave scene seems to comment on our interconnected society with a sense that we're too far gone rather than a way of looking out.

Soundcloud might be dead, but in comments sections of videos and blog posts about this I read that people prefer it over Bandcamp BECAUSE of the community aspect. That stuff is key for a lot of people it seems, and not just connecting with artists but making your stuff a place where people can connect over their love of a thing.
Like "oh shit mane, I saw your comment on that Young Thug track, and now you on this XXXtentacion comment section? You've got good taste, hit me up and let's talk about music and life and stuff"

Honestly if anyone needs an alternative place to start putting up music, I think YouTube's really blowing up in that department as of late. In terms of music streaming and sharing.
You have people sharing playlists, mixes, and all that, and streams where people just play music like a radio station.
I mean just try to look where people's ears and eyes are, and appeal to that platform in a creative way.

I don't even know what I'm trying to say with this post, but I agree that Soundcloud probably won't go anywhere, either.
It'll probably just be bought up by some big corporation, be saved for a year or two then be in the same problem it was before.

Next

Return to This Random Sound