Elon Musk/ Mark Zuckerberg/ Google X

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
Valotonin wrote:When I buy a car at some point in the next 2-3 years will it even be possible for me to buy something that is a purely mechanical machine?

I'd imagine you're way past that point already, depending on how literal you mean that - everything already has an ECU, and a bunch of other smaller embedded sensors and whatnot. A friend of mine's dad was a - not even a mechanic, but an auto electrician, (so he did mechanic stuff but pushed a bit more over to the side of working on the electrical stuff in cars). Anyway, he'd often come back from the garage at night ranting after yet another car he couldn't fix because of "little tronic boxes". This was in the early 90s, it's obviously come on bounds since then. Bunch of tiny computers speaking to each other down the CAN bus (literally, Car Area Network, it's not just one computer you're driving but a network of them). With a little $15 dongle you can listen in on the messages over bluetooth to your mobile phone, and they give you a whole scad of information. There are some great, scary videos out there on car hacking - something that's going to become much more prevalent in espionage, law enforcement, even crime - where the relatively insecure nature of all of this shows it's open for exploitation.

Telepath
You can still get a Fiat Panda 45 in 2-3 years? :P

Cupz wrote:You can still get a Fiat Panda 45 in 2-3 years? :P

The bigger question would be why you'd ever want to ;-)

Slow down...

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
"Musk also considers going to other parts of the solar system by envisioning a system of planet or moon hopping. Besides creating and improving spacecraft, the key for further colonization of space would be to establish propellant depots in the asteroid belt or the moons of Jupiter or Saturn. That would enable flights to these and other planets. "

Poor Elon. Even in space, range anxiety is a thing.

Dayvan Cowboy
Elon Musk's an interesting character and I'm prepared to believe his intentions are a bit noble or at least naive, but there's still something a bit concerning about an extremely wealthy individual expressing his wishes for humanity and realistically being in a position to make them happen.

Dayvan Cowboy
MrMessiah wrote:Poor Elon. Even in space, range anxiety is a thing.

:lol:

Dayvan Cowboy
jcnporter wrote:Elon Musk's an interesting character and I'm prepared to believe his intentions are a bit noble or at least naive, but there's still something a bit concerning about an extremely wealthy individual expressing his wishes for humanity and realistically being in a position to make them happen.

I'd be inclined to agree with that statement. I think he believes that his intentions are pure and hasn't considered that there are people out there that care more about being human than being an interstellar space robot with all of their needs catered for my synthetic machinery.

Zuckerberg on the other hand...

At a conference it became too hot and he removed his jacket, other panelists noticed something inside the lining and began to examine it. That seems slightly culty at best. Also '2010' - the year of subtly forced digitization.

What gets to me is that these people hate CRT screens when in reality they are legit magic and one of the best inventions of humanity. An analogue electron gun steering a beam of light using pulsed electromagnets to create a soft image, man. No one can say that LED of LCD screens where ever an improvement on that, just a kind of mandatory downgrade into a cheaper to build product.

Raw electronics and raw complex mechanisms will always be infinitely more impressive than arranging computer chips.

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
If people ate oranges every day, the world would be a better place

There is a scientific basis for my saying that but I prefer just leaving it as a vague sounding suggestion.

Previous

Return to The Playground