Deconstructing the artwork of Tomorrow's harvest

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Boqurant
jeesus christ, keep it going

boc invented time machine
Palace Posy

One great mystery solved
Spoiler: show
Unaltered image here

Eagle Minded
Whoa, nice finds!!!
Mexicola wrote:Marcus had that beard and longer hair waaaaay back.

Eagle Minded
Matoseb wrote:One great mystery solved
Unaltered image here

The way these two are stitched together is so crazy.

Boqurant
The way this artwork was presented on the albim art, I would never have guess that these photos are from some national 1970 album. It was sort of a trick, to cut something from the bigger context to present it in a different light, or let the viewer to imagine in a different way. For me this art was always so futuristic, but in reality it is more grounded, like images from ordinary life.
Palace Posy

Dayvan Cowboy
You are amazing finding all of these sources. This is quite an event to be honest as I was under the impression that the majority of pictures would never be found. It never occured to me to use a reverse image search, quick thinking batman.

I've done my best to stitch the two TH pictures together to replicate the album art, some of the colours are still off though:

Dayvan Cowboy
Will sit down and have a proper go at it rather than just patching it together quickly. I'll get back to you (-:

Dayvan Cowboy
(This took a while)
As close to the original as I could get it:

Last edited by Valotonin on Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Boqurant
That sun image always looked to me like a nuclear explosion over the city
Palace Posy

Valotonin wrote:You are amazing finding all of these sources. This is quite an event to be honest as I was under the impression that the majority of pictures would never be found. It never occured to me to use a reverse image search, quick thinking batman.
Thanks! Really appreciate it.

I recently added two new pictures on my google slides document.
- Freeway Overpass. This one was relatively easy to find as it is from a free stock photo site. I used yandex.com which excels at finding similar matches. tineye.com and google are better at seeking the original source of the image, typically the highest quality you can find.

- Goodyear Airdock. This one was very tricky. I first thought it was some sort of military 'antenna'. After some heavy reverse searches on yandex, I found a similar photo, it was actually a docking station for airships. But the website said it was at Lakehurst, which is wrong! So I reversed that one and got a postcard version with the proper location. Finally after a quick google search, I got the original used by BoC!

Eagle Minded
This is great! Top notch research :]

Impressive! Well played.

Anyone else think the left hand image on no.6 is a helicopter rotor? White Cyclosa...

Slow down...

Eagle Minded
Mexicola wrote:Anyone else think the left hand image on no.6 is a helicopter rotor? White Cyclosa...

That's what I was thinking, it appears to show up again on the right bottom side of page 4.

Sherbet Head
Great thread!

Yeah Mexi and Notoolate, I agree that 6 is a helicoptor rotor and I would bet it is a chinook. The blade in the bottom left looks like it is on a different rotor.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=chinook+helic ... &ia=images

Boqurant
some modern image, interesting

Palace Posy

Posts Quantity
This is awesome... I find it fascinating that the images span so many decades. This is a totally different outcome from my initial impression of the photos (I thought they had done a single photo shoot in the Nevada desert or somewhere similar, or hired someone else to take the photos).

Why are so many of the images mirrored/reversed? Did they do that in an attempt to make it harder to identify the originals?

vballs wrote:I agree that 6 is a helicoptor rotor and I would bet it is a chinook.
That would make total sense! I'll try to find it later.

GeoDose wrote:Why are so many of the images mirrored/reversed? Did they do that in an attempt to make it harder to identify the originals?
I really don't know. They did that with the cover of MHTRTC too.

Posts Quantity
Matoseb wrote:
vballs wrote:I agree that 6 is a helicoptor rotor and I would bet it is a chinook.
That would make total sense! I'll try to find it later.

GeoDose wrote:Why are so many of the images mirrored/reversed? Did they do that in an attempt to make it harder to identify the originals?
I really don't know. They did that with the cover of MHTRTC too.

Perhaps it`s meant to compliment the reversed samples they use sometimes, and the ability of their music to sound great while played backwards. Reversed audio, therefore reversed images?

Sherbet Head
i feel as though the imagery for tomorrows harvest is being used in the same way the music is.

meaning, i always had the vibe that the tracks on tomorrows harvest are supposed to be played at the same time, or something along that effect. theres a vibe that there is something else going on, like certain tracks are supposed to be played at once and overlap into one track. kind of like how some of the photos are doing.

even the layout of the photos in the album art seem like they are supposed to be puzzled together in some way. who knows

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada