Unknown Music70 release on Discogs? (Boc Remii Vol. 1)

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Friendly Stranger
https://www.discogs.com/Various-Boc-Remii-Vol1/release/10788789
Looking at the edit history of the release it seems to have been submitted ~6 months ago by someone archiving a private collection on an account that also has official CD-r releases of Boc Maxima and Twoism listed as owned. They elaborate in the edit notes that they were told all three were given as gifts to the owner by the band before Christmas 1998. Given the scans and info provided this looks pretty legit, but I searched for info on it here and didn't see any discussion of it (though admittedly it's just a compilation of already released remixes which isn't particularly exciting.)

Dayvan Cowboy

Dayvan Cowboy
on the Boc Maxima one, it's interesting to note the track title listed as Niagra rather than Niagara on the liner - this matches the photos of the tape we've seen before, I think, from the mike p auction thing. thinking about it, the title should probably be updated on bocpages (and the discogs listing).

i'm inclined to believe this because of how banal it is, anyway.

Dayvan Cowboy
Pretty neat stuff, I might just steal the artwork and name and use it for the currently completely unoriginally titled Remixes folder, it really is album length these days so it might as well get a proper title and cover at this point.

https://web.archive.org/web/20010609171 ... axima.html

I never got too bent out of shape about the variants between the different versions of Maxima/OT artwork floating around, these always struck me as a DIY/on demand project where copies went out to different people at different times and I'm sure some tweaks to the artwork/details were made as time went on.

Friendly Stranger
Also is it just me or is the image used for the cover art just a greyscaled a promotional photo that's been used elsewhere? I can't remember what for but it looks familiar, maybe Campfire Headphase-era.

I think the coolest thing about this is that to me it strengthens the idea that compilations of material were casually thrown together and given to friends. This doesn't look like a 'proper' release given the general packaging and it just using some random photo of the brothers as the art (which could say something about how they consider Boc Maxima in their discography as well, though that's debatable given it was listed on their old site and this wasn't.) Who knows what other compilations that haven't been documented are out there and what might be on them.

I've definitely seen the image before somewhere. One of PICs I think?

Slow down...

Friendly Stranger

Eagle Minded
Poppy seed was 2001 wasn't it?

Also, isn't that a Tomorrow's Harvest era picture? Seem to remember there were 3 orbs on both brothers but they're too dark to see here. Had some connection with the RFTD 3 suns thing.

I call massive fake.

No, it's well and truly pre-TH. Marcus had that beard and longer hair waaaaay back.

Slow down...

Eagle Minded
https://goo.gl/images/wKgEBj - This is the proper image.

Did Mike have long hair way back? Don't remember that. Not saying you're wrong though! :)

Still doesn't explain 2001 Poppy Seed and this being "released" in 1999.

Aye, it's just an old image they've used there ;-)

Slow down...

Posts Quantity
Peacock Tail wrote:Still doesn't explain 2001 Poppy Seed and this being "released" in 1999.

The original Poppy Seed track was released in 1998 though. It could have been remixed that year and then not given a public release until 2001.

Posts Quantity

Posts Quantity
From the Boc Maxima CD-R

P I S S

Dayvan Cowboy
What's a real trip here is how the CD-R is "copyrighted" 1996 like the cassette but references MHTRTC in the credits, seems a little early for that to be known/out in the wild.

Really lends credence to my old theory that they put a bunch of their old music on CD-R in extremely small quantities in late 1997 after sealing a deal with Warp, which their old discography alluded to for their Pre-Twoism releases (whether they really exist is a story for another thread)

The thing that authenticates this as real to me is that back cover photo, which I don't think I've ever seen before, and I'm sure someone else would have pointed out it's use in OTV2 by now if it had been seen previously.

Eagle Minded
Opothecary wrote:Really lends credence to my old theory that they put a bunch of their old music on CD-R in extremely small quantities in late 1997 after sealing a deal with Warp

Not sure if you read them but that's what the person who uploaded these on Discogs said in the release edit notes, they've been cataloging someones collection and didn't realize the significance of these CD's. They asked the person who owns them about them, claiming they were gifts given to them just after they signed to warp. In the release edit notes they were trying to figure out what year to attribute these to, it looks like they settled on late 1998 or 1999 for convenience. That would explain the MHTRTC credit.

I don't know what to think about this, I think bootlegs are neat anyway but the whole vibe of these feels slightly more legit. The person on Discogs said that the owner of them claims that they are not only legit, but that the band would confirm their legitimacy if asked. Maybe we can get in contact with the person on Discogs and someone can hit up MDG?

Dayvan Cowboy
Nottoolate wrote:Not sure if you read them but that's what the person who uploaded these on Discogs said in the release edit notes, they've been cataloging someones collection and didn't realize the significance of these CD's. They asked the person who owns them about them, claiming they were gifts given to them just after they signed to warp. In the release edit notes they were trying to figure out what year to attribute these to, it looks like they settled on late 1998 or 1999 for convenience. That would explain the MHTRTC credit.

I don't know what to think about this, I think bootlegs are neat anyway but the whole vibe of these feels slightly more legit. The person on Discogs said that the owner of them claims that they are not only legit, but that the band would confirm their legitimacy if asked. Maybe we can get in contact with the person on Discogs and someone can hit up MDG?

Sorry I didn't read them, don't have a DIscogs account and couldn't be arsed to sign up but maybe I should!

I'd have a hard time believing that the Maxima CD post-dated the release of MHTRTC by very much, if at all. I know it was listed as a cassette/CD on their early discography but I don't think anyone had ever actually seen the CD version until now.

They definitely give me a legit vibe too - let's say they're real, look how long they took to leak and it's already all music that we have. I think it reinforces that the early discography is real after all and not window dressing, it just went into extremely few hands compared to the trio of cassettes they floated when they were label hunting.

The remix CD is a little bit of a surprise at its late date, I figured they would have been out of the homegrown CD-R game post MHTRTC given their tendencies. Aside from it being a huge album for them, it pretty much coincided with file sharing becoming a mainstream thing. I can buy them putting Maxima and a bunch of their old stuff on CD-R in late 1997 or whatever, MP3 was around but the mass piracy of them wasn't really a major concern at that point, and they weren't a big name yet, so seeing something like this from maybe 1999 is interesting.

I doubt you'll be able to wake mdg for something like this, he seems to have intentionally stayed away while they play their little game with us. He only came out once under duress to facilitate getting that autographed book over to them.

Eagle Minded
If this CD was a 'personal' distribution release, I wonder why Midas and Trapped weren't included. Hell's Interface not BOC maybe?

Also I wonder why 'Volume 1' is titled when the content was complete at this time.

Posts Quantity
Peacock Tail wrote:If this CD was a 'personal' distribution release, I wonder why Midas and Trapped weren't included. Hell's Interface not BOC maybe?

Also I wonder why 'Volume 1' is titled when the content was complete at this time.

- Midas Touch / Trapped were not officially commissioned remixes. I imagine they flew under the copyright radar because the MASK releases were so cryptic and limited.

- I used to add "volume 1" to compilation titles back in the day just to give them a kind of faux-seriousness. If you were in your early 20s in the late 90s, that kind of thing was funny I guess (see also: pluralizing "remix" as "remii") but beyond that it also just keeps the possibility of a volume 2 open.

- mostly I'm a bit floored at the possibility of the Poppy Seed mixes being from 1998, which would mean that 1998 was an even busier year for them than previously thought . . .

Eagle Minded
breadmaker wrote:
Peacock Tail wrote:Still doesn't explain 2001 Poppy Seed and this being "released" in 1999.

The original Poppy Seed track was released in 1998 though. It could have been remixed that year and then not given a public release until 2001.

According to Discogs, Poppy Seed was released in 2001. https://www.discogs.com/artist/12715-Slag-Boom-Van-Loon :]

Next

Return to Boards of Canada