Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.
Post a reply

Re: This Random Thread

Mon May 07, 2018 7:36 pm

*drops his spoon*

Mon May 07, 2018 7:47 pm

Cupz wrote:*drops his spoon*

you're tearing me apart

Mon May 07, 2018 7:51 pm

what makes a good pizza? what kind of pizza craftsmanship is required to push it from amateur to pro level

Mon May 07, 2018 7:51 pm

phpBB [media]

Mon May 07, 2018 7:52 pm

Cupz wrote:
phpBB [media]

liife is gooooood

Mon May 07, 2018 8:00 pm

I'm pretty high

Tue May 08, 2018 1:05 pm

Cupz wrote:I'm pretty high

what a day what a day what a day

WHADDA WOILD

Tue May 08, 2018 5:57 pm

phpBB [media]

Thu May 10, 2018 8:43 am

Cosmic Manta wrote:what makes a good pizza? what kind of pizza craftsmanship is required to push it from amateur to pro level

Homemade-from-scratch sauce and crust are two of the most crucial elements. I have a friend who makes the best pizza ever and those are two things he says are important.

Thu May 10, 2018 9:08 pm

you say sauce, i say blood of my enemies

Sat May 12, 2018 11:26 pm

Cosmic Manta wrote:what makes a good pizza? what kind of pizza craftsmanship is required to push it from amateur to pro level
im good at making pizza. tell me what you don't like about your current pizzas, and ill tell you how to fix the problems :3

Sun May 13, 2018 6:04 pm

Head's asteroid folding aspirin attachment I've no need, granmerci.
A some, a torch taok anyway, wouldn't that?
The send is strong I fear the signal receives nothing.
Someone finish the fifth line.

Thu May 17, 2018 1:51 am

Who bought the strawberries?

Wed May 23, 2018 1:28 pm

Time I stopped musical shitposting and finished something I care about

Tue May 29, 2018 7:06 pm

Motivation or discipline. Which is better?

Tue May 29, 2018 7:24 pm

fujee wrote:Motivation or discipline. Which is better?

Discipline. A routine is more productive than focusing on a nebulous 'goal'.

Wed May 30, 2018 12:48 pm

jcnporter wrote:
i'll play devil's advocate: discipline often stifles creativity; motivation is often a symptom

Wed May 30, 2018 2:27 pm

jcnporter wrote:

Totally agree. Curious to see what others think, was kinda hoping this would spark a small debate but you've hit the nail on the head right away – for me at least. Interested to see if someone thinks differently?

Out of interest, JCN, do you have a routine you stick to? This whole discipline vs. motivation idea has only really dawned on me in recent months.

Echo the Sun wrote:
jcnporter wrote:
i'll play devil's advocate: discipline often stifles creativity; motivation is often a symptom

Motivation is a symptom of creativity?

Wed May 30, 2018 6:05 pm

It's something that's only dawned on me very recently as well. For years I've been frustrated with getting any sort of decent creative project going, not for money or a career or anything , just for personal satisfaction.
I have notebooks full of ideas, but they rarely go beyond that - the learning curve seems daunting, I have a bit of a perfectionist streak that doesn't help.
The revelation for me was reading a book by Scott Adams, the cartoonist, a sort of autobiography of how he became successful. He devotes a whole chapter to 'Systems vs Goals' and why systems are always better -
'The system-vs-goals model can be applied to most human endeavours. In the world of dieting, losing twenty pounds is a goal, but eating right is a system. In the exercise realm, running a marathon in under four hours is a goal, but exercising daily is a system'.
It's pretty simple I guess, but when I read it I realised that it was the only way I'd every really done or completed anything I wanted to.
When I read your question, I thought of that straight away, also it's something I'm figuring out at the moment, a system to get one of my ideas off the ground.
I guess having a 'routine' can make the whole creative process sound a bit dull, but it's what works for me.
Interested to hear what other folks on here who have a number of albums and whatever else behind them think.

Wed May 30, 2018 8:41 pm

fujee wrote:Motivation is a symptom of creativity?
for me it is :D
Post a reply