Need professional album cover art? Look no further

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Boqurant
Hey everyone. I noticed that much of our unofficial music is extremely high quality, but I think the reason they don't get the attention they deserve is because of album art that's a little on the dull side.

So, I'm volunteering my graphic design skills to whoever wants it for free. PM me or comment on this thread for commissions.

I look forward to creating album art that reflects the time and effort you all put into making your music.

peace
nautilus | member of the orange collective

Can you show us some of your work? I notice your avatar, but what else can you show us? :-)

Slow down...

Boqurant
Mexicola wrote:Can you show us some of your work? I notice your avatar, but what else can you show us? :-)

ok. the two headers are cover photos for the facebook group (one of them is currently being used by peter). the one that looks like an album cover is for an upcoming project of mine.

http://www.dropbox.com/s/6jrsxu1ergtx9zc/BOC%20Header%202%20copy.png?
http://www.dropbox.com/s/de96khtoyhz4wop/BOC%20Header%20Bauhaus%20%28Grunge%29.png?
http://www.dropbox.com/s/1or3uha5jaiuxbp/BOC%20Logo.png?
http://www.dropbox.com/s/rgc3t6t6kmkbp3m/depthsCover.jpg?

whoops. forgot to introduce myself. i'm andrew yu from the facebook group.

Sherbet Head
Nautilus wrote:
Mexicola wrote:Can you show us some of your work? I notice your avatar, but what else can you show us? :-)

ok. the two headers are cover photos for the facebook group (one of them is currently being used by peter). the one that looks like an album cover is for an upcoming project of mine.

http://www.dropbox.com/s/6jrsxu1ergtx9zc/BOC%20Header%202%20copy.png?
http://www.dropbox.com/s/de96khtoyhz4wop/BOC%20Header%20Bauhaus%20%28Grunge%29.png?
http://www.dropbox.com/s/1or3uha5jaiuxbp/BOC%20Logo.png?
http://www.dropbox.com/s/rgc3t6t6kmkbp3m/depthsCover.jpg?

whoops. forgot to introduce myself. i'm andrew yu from the facebook group.

I like it but I feel as it needs to be more timeless. As if the art is more unexpected. What Im saying is if a person is passing by a bunch of cd's in a record store and there all the typical art cover they will just wizz by. But if they come across the very surprising like for example the mhtrtc cover they will undoubtedly stop and daze upon the face less beings on the cover.

As said
a little on the dull side.
I see how your art is more intriguing with the nice beach and cool looking watermark. But it takes something to come out of no where to get peoples attention. Because there is a huge row of cds and its like being a grain of sand in a sandbox. This is just my opinion speak whatever you want of it.
this thread is full of shenanigans.

Boqurant
Flory wrote:I like it but I feel as it needs to be more timeless. As if the art is more unexpected. What Im saying is if a person is passing by a bunch of cd's in a record store and there all the typical art cover they will just wizz by. But if they come across the very surprising like for example the mhtrtc cover they will undoubtedly stop and daze upon the face less beings on the cover.

As said
I see how your art is more intriguing with the nice beach and cool looking watermark. But it takes something to come out of no where to get peoples attention. Because there is a huge row of cds and its like being a grain of sand in a sandbox. This is just my opinion speak whatever you want of it.

Frankly I've just been drawing on my personal experiences and that ends up producing some overly conventional designs.

I'm actually taking this seriously. that was very well said and I like that you appreciate and want to help me improve on some of my work. I'll try to make my designs / photography bolder or more experimental.

and yes, now that I look at them they are a bit dull. :oops:

Nothing to be ashamed of! We have some amazing talent in this department on Twoism to bounce ideas off and learn from. (reminds me, what happened to JoebotKill?). It will be interesting to watch you develop this further. Stick at it! :-)

Slow down...

Telepath
Also, autistic people like me can see you used the same dust overlay multiple times.

Or maybe that's just years of fake-hooperbay-spotting.

Real film not filter!

Boqurant
Ok Flamingo Pudding, tell me how I should be able to find legitimate film cameras and take legitimate film pictures and age/destroy them legitimately when I'm on a literally shoestring budget and swamped with work.

Maybe that acapella of yours was recorded with high-end recording equipment that is worth the same as these film cameras that a student is supposed to purchase and ship to their "personal address".

Especially when Canon just axed its last film camera.

Not trying to start a firestorm here, just letting my logic be heard.

Thanks, Mexicola.

In equal measure, let's not get too sniffy, or too snippy with one another please.
As you were x

Slow down...

Sherbet Head
Cupz wrote:autistic!

What?
this thread is full of shenanigans.

Boqurant
Flory wrote:
Cupz wrote:autistic!

What?

Maybe he is. But what's the deal? We welcome everyone.

Telepath
Oh sorry, I didn't mean anything mean with it. Just trying to help.

I got my photo camera for 4 euros from a thrift store and cheap film is still being sold here for about 7.50 for 3 rolls at a store called HEMA, that come with free development to negative which are really nice to give the ol' needle n sand treatment. Scan them in a flatbed and invert colours. That's little over 90 hand-ruined analog photos for 11.50. Sure its not canon-grade superfilm, but that's the point. Buying cheap crap is a good way of getting legitimately destroyed stuff easily. The mic I made geogacca with was 20 euros.

Its just ironic to have fake dirt overlay on photos meant for musicians that go out of their way to meticulously add real dirt and carefully destroy their sound is all. That would suit someone like tycho better wouldn't you say?

Also, being professional also means being able to take harsh criticism.

Criticism is good and healthy. But please let's be mindful of how we word that criticism. Motivate and inspire, rather than demotivate and belittle. That said, I appreciate you meant well and I'm not above dishing out poorly chosen words occasionally too. We're allowed to be human right? ;-)

Slow down...

Telepath
We have a saying that goes: Gentle surgeons make stinky wounds.

And butchers need to be careful with their cleaver. Very easy to lose fingers.

Slow down...

Boqurant
Thanks for pointing that out, Cupz. just overreacted based on a misunderstanding, that's all. and yes, it suits tycho fine ;)

Boqurant
Flory wrote:As said

like this, maybe?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ui9v0y9i5ppif4h/OOT7.png

Boqurant

Nova Scotia Robot
I just gotta say, this is a really nice thing of you to do for the community here. Offering a free service for those who struggle with otherwise.

Good on ya

Boqurant
thanks. I just have the summer free so I thought I could try to do something productive other than spending hours in my "studio" making weird noises on soundcloud. :}

Next

Return to The Playground