BoC verses Basinski

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
I have been listening to William Basinski's 'Disintergration Loops' alot recently. I love repetition in music so the cylcles and subtle patterns in his music are perfect for me. Anyway, I'm particualrily taken by the second CD of the series and especially dlp3. This track is 42.02 minutes long and has a loop whose cycle is 8.3 seconds. This in itself clarifys the beauty of the music that such a short phrase, which hardly changes for 40 minutes, can hold my attention.

After listening to this I went straight to 'Heard from Telegraph Lines' and it turns out that the loop in that track is 8.5 sec for a 1.10 minute track. Much shorter than basinski of course but it got me wondering what would it be like to have a BoC track that went on for 30-40 mins. What do you guys think.

p.s I've got a throat infection and have time on my hands - hence the geeky post :oops: :wink: :D
rED ORAnge YELLow grEEn blUe inDIGo violEt
ricHArd OF yorK GAvE baTTle in vAIn
ROYGBIV
Released! Oh Yes! Gonna Buy It Vinyl!
B&Q

Telepath
And...Listen to the Disintegration Loops number 6... BoC used it in Macquary ridge :shock:

Eagle Minded
Cupz wrote:And...Listen to the Disintegration Loops number 6... BoC used it in Macquary ridge :shock:

Inter-est-ing. Didnt know that!
rED ORAnge YELLow grEEn blUe inDIGo violEt
ricHArd OF yorK GAvE baTTle in vAIn
ROYGBIV
Released! Oh Yes! Gonna Buy It Vinyl!
B&Q

Dayvan Cowboy
maybe someone can post a clip / clips of these

Telepath
Exerp - Disintegration Loop 6

this chorus loops for 40 minutes or so

Sherbet Head
...Why didn't you post this earlier? I just finished downloading the whole thing and it took an hour..
hello.

Telepath
I thought everyone knew this? :oops:

Happy Cycler
I've known about it for a long time. The chord progression is IDENTICAL. I don't know if they flat out sampled it. But, they are admitted fans of Basinski's work so who knows.

Posts Quantity
i likes.
Silvania.

Dayvan Cowboy
mechanismj wrote:I've known about it for a long time. The chord progression is IDENTICAL. I don't know if they flat out sampled it. But, they are admitted fans of Basinski's work so who knows.

yeah... the sounds used are very similar too- at the very least they used the same instrument then distorted it in the same way imo
"Now son, don't worry, those were just lies Daddy told to get prescription drugs"

Boqurant
Yes, this was on watmm, I think the two tracks are subtley different. I really enjoy both of them.

Boqurant
weird that i came across this topic while i was actually listening to these loops...

i think it'd be pretty interesting if boc did anything that long. the closest thing they have to basinski's work is farewell fire, in terms of length, and it is pretty repetitive too. unfortunately, i don't think that piece is quite as captivating as any of basinski's disintegration loops.

i was thinking about the parallels between both boc and these loops. both are interested with the deterioration of recorded music. boc intentionally "damages" their music to make it sound aged, while basinski's pieces are actually from the 80's and are naturally aged. maybe that is the reason why i find his loops to be so beautiful and tolerable for such a long duration. nothing is too forced-sounding. his music is already old, and there is an element of chance to the music because the tape head just destroys the loop in the process. basinski leaves it to "nature" as to how the piece evolves.

Cupz wrote:And...Listen to the Disintegration Loops number 6... BoC used it in Macquary ridge :shock:

Can't believe I've never realised this before! I've had Disintegration Loops for ages and somehow never noticed this before. Doh! :oops:

Slow down...

Hexagon Sun Official
Mexicola wrote:

Can't believe I've never realised this before! I've had Disintegration Loops for ages and somehow never noticed this before. Doh! :oops:

BOC didn't sample William Basinski for that track!

mdg wrote:
Mexicola wrote:

BOC didn't sample William Basinski for that track!

Any idea whether they had heard the Basinski track at all MDG? Comparing the two, Macquarie Ridge does have a very similar sound. Both tracks are amazing by the way... :D

Slow down...

Posts Quantity
I used to think I heard the similarities between Macquarie Ridge and D|P 6 but the more I listen the more I realise how different they are.

Dayvan Cowboy
That link is long dead... any chance of someone re-uploading it for those of us too slow to catch it the first time?

Eagle Minded
i couldn't find a copy on line, except through amazon (mp3...). i went ahead and bought it. the samples were very nice :D

Dayvan Cowboy
The Disintegration Loops III

The Disintegration Loops IV

:D
ok sorry for the links,ive removed them.
Last edited by Retrodreaming on Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Telepath
Hotlinking to copywrited material is illegal :cry:

Next

Return to Boards of Canada