Warp20 Box Set ft. completely unheard BoC!

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
Skytree wrote:From MDG, via WATMM:

the track is called "Spiro"(from a previously unreleased track) and all the loops on the disc are 1.8 seconds long @ 33rpm.

Well, clears that up.

good find on that nugget there, Skytree :)
that gum you like is going to come back in style

Eagle Minded
oscillik wrote:

the track is called "Spiro"(from a previously unreleased track) and all the loops on the disc are 1.8 seconds long @ 33rpm.

Well, clears that up.

good find on that nugget there, Skytree :)

How can BOC fans contain themselves..?
This is torture beyond the extreme.
I feel like adebayor running the full length of the pitch whilst screaming.. GIVE US A FUCKING BREAK!

i cant work MDG out...
he reads fans comments here about their confusion regarding 'spiro' and then informs joyrex on watmm. he is a moderator here right?
Last edited by audiotrack on Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dayvan Cowboy

Well, clears that up.

1.8 seconds? Are you fucking kidding me? This is akin to waterboarding!

Hexagon Sun Official
ryetronics wrote:

Well, clears that up.

Unfortunately, all locked grooves at 33rpm are 1.8 seconds long. This is due to some stupid law called physics.

Dayvan Cowboy
Bloody modern world.
It's physics gone mad - you can't jump off of a skyscraper without hurtling to the floor and becoming a series of mushed-up blood dunes these days.
You can't do ANYTHING anymore!
Last edited by Treefingers on Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eagle Minded
mdg wrote:
ryetronics wrote:

Well, clears that up.

Unfortunately, all locked grooves at 33rpm are 1.8 seconds long. This is due to some stupid law called physics.

i think these guys are just perplexed as to why they're being teased with little snippets, instead of the Spiro track being included in the (Unheard) section

but awesome retort :D

btw, i'm not bothered either way...i'm just glad to be able to hear some stuff i haven't heard before

Eagle Minded
nice to see you post here once in a while MDG!

Sherbet Head
Actually, what we have on our hands here lads is the first (in theory) infinitely long BoC track ever...just so long as we have electricty to turn our platters.

Though for that matter, you can always rotate by hand, which, if done slowly, would make it even more infinitely long (think smaller infinite sets nested in larger infinite sets, applied to wax).

Eagle Minded
Skytree wrote:Actually, what we have on our hands here lads is the first (in theory) infinitely long BoC track ever...just so long as we have electricty to turn our platters.

Though for that matter, you can always rotate by hand, which, if done slowly, would make it even more infinitely long (think smaller infinite sets nested in larger infinite sets, applied to wax).

BoC's answer to The Magic Roundabout

Sherbet Head
oscillik wrote:
Skytree wrote:Actually, Novayshun's correct. Imagine bits of marking tape placed in a line, one on each loop, radiating from the center of the LP. Regardless of the overall radius of each loop, the bits of marking tape will all make a full rotation in unison. So, the innermost loop, despite being smaller in radius, will be making one revolution in the same time as the larger, outermost loop.

What would defy physics is if all were making different revolutions at different times...the wax would fly apart, I'm afraid. (:

So, thanks for the correction Novayshun! It was fun to think about. Oscillik and I (I think) were stuck in circumfrence mode.

ahhh rightio, thanks Novayshun and Skytree for the clarification :)

No worries man.

oscillik wrote:
Skytree wrote:Actually, what we have on our hands here lads is the first (in theory) infinitely long BoC track ever...just so long as we have electricty to turn our platters.

BoC's answer to The Magic Roundabout

Well, now you've done it...have to go put Yes' "Fragile" on the turntable.

Sherbet Head
GIVE US A FUCKING BREAK

LOL

Happy Cycler
could somebody explain this shit to the living among us? you know, i grew up with sony walkman, not turntables. what the hell is with a 1.8 second loop? since when is music released this way? or am i COMPLETELY misunderstanding this situation?

somebody break it down for those of us who are used to music being in the form of songs from approx 1 to 10 minutes in length. no i am not enchanted by vinyl or loops or whatever. yes i'm a simpleminded mainstream idiot who can't appreciate blah blah blah, spare me and just explain what's going on here plx

i hadn't posted about this yet because i'm not buying this stupid overpriced piece of Warp fan jizz but now you've got me really curious about this 'loop' situation and what it means. i'm probably going to be sorry i asked. time to go listen to some god damn Meat Puppets, jesus christ!
another silo full / another dark dawn / bending the air / love is so small

returnal \ you've never left \ you've been here the whole time

Dayvan Cowboy
turquoise70 wrote:could somebody explain this shit to the living among us? you know, i grew up with sony walkman, not turntables. what the hell is with a 1.8 second loop? since when is music released this way? or am i COMPLETELY misunderstanding this situation?

somebody break it down for those of us who are used to music being in the form of songs from approx 1 to 10 minutes in length. no i am not enchanted by vinyl or loops or whatever. yes i'm a simpleminded mainstream idiot who can't appreciate blah blah blah, spare me and just explain what's going on here plx

i hadn't posted about this yet because i'm not buying this stupid overpriced piece of Warp fan jizz but now you've got me really curious about this 'loop' situation and what it means. i'm probably going to be sorry i asked. time to go listen to some god damn Meat Puppets, jesus christ!

lol, i love you turquoise70!

Happy Cycler
oh, i love you all (we love you all we love you all we love you)

i'm just confused by this infinite loop-instead-of-song situation i appear to be seeing here and think the warp box set is overrated

Friendly Stranger
turquoise:

it's a perfectly circular loop on the record itself - rather than the regular spiral you get. so you manually put the needle in each groove and it will keep playing until you take the needle off. so the idea is that you put something there that perfectly fits to whatever the playing time at 33rpm is (1.8 seconds) - and it'll loop seamlessly.

Happy Cycler
i see. i would prefer full-on songs to an album of loops.

Eagle Minded
turquoise70 wrote:i see. i would prefer full-on songs to an album of loops.

in the end it's really just a marketing gimmick, the whole locked-groove thing fits in with the whole Möbius strip design aesthetic that they've got going on, and it's also probably a statement of "our label's influence on music is infinite" etc etc etc.

like most things, it's obviously not going to be for everyone. there's already been an outcry that there was vinyl in the box set, because supposedly "no-one listens to records anymore". recent figures regarding the increase of sales in vinyl would beg to differ.

either way, it's really just a little curiosity that comes with the box set. same as with those little blue turquoise hexagons that were given out with certain BoC related things. they're not necessarily for everyone, they might not even serve much purpose, but you can guarantee that someone would be happy with owning it.

Posts Quantity
"C'est fini la comédie"
Last edited by the letter p on Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eagle Minded
the letter p wrote:
oscillik wrote:like most things, it's obviously not going to be for everyone. there's already been an outcry that there was vinyl in the box set, because supposedly "no-one listens to records anymore". recent figures regarding the increase of sales in vinyl would beg to differ.

crazy talk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_PgRkTa ... vie_player

see, it's when people say that turntables can't be instruments that makes me want to throw a 1210 into their face

Eagle Minded
i would love to see a video of marcus doing that for 'telephasic workshop' :)

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada